Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had my second game of this adventure today, and while two games aren't really enough to make a sound judgement, I have nevertheless completely revised my opinion of this pack based on the second game.

My first game, played shortly after it was released with a Spirit/Lore deck, was over in just seven rounds, and I remember being highly disappointed by it, being the only game where my final threat count was in the 20s. So, looking for a quick game today, I thought I'd give it another go.

I've not really been using theme decks so far, going for dual-sphere with a bit of everything thrown in. Today, my mind full of dwarf-themes that are coming up in the deluxe expansion, I thought I'd finally try a theme deck, using (almost) exclusively Rohan guys from Spirit and Leadership, and see how it went.

So with Eowyn, Theodred and Dunhere, I set out through the Dead Marshes on the hunt for Gollum.

It progressed pretty much as I thought it would, having a powerhouse of questing ability that got me through 1A of the quest without much trouble. An early A Whisp of Pale Sheen gave Gollum two resource tokens, but I wasn't too worried, as the forced escape tests were being passed without much difficulty.

Then a Giant Marsh Worm turned up, followed not too much later by a Goblin Sniper. So while I was struggling to defeat that Worm, what with it discarding two wounds at the end of the round, the Sniper was up there taking potshots at my fellowship, resulting in everyone being pretty beat up by the time I managed to get rid of the beasties.

But the end was in sight! All that stood between me and getting my hands around that wretched creature's neck was the final escape test. ARGH! Of all the rotten luck, my total capacity that I could spare for said escape test was 10 Willpower's worth, which is exactly the value I needed to beat, as I pulled out two The Lights of the Dead cards. So that was it! Re-set to 1B, and Gollum scampers off, shuffled back into the encounter deck. Dammit!

To add insult to injury, I then had the misfortune to pull out Evil Storm, one of the most treacherous of treachery cards, which killed off all of my allies and meant each of my three heroes were just one wound each away from death. Nevertheless, I mustered my troops and began questing anew, getting a couple of attachments to improve the willpower and hopefully blaze my way through the encounter deck and find him once more.

Sadly, it didn't work like that. Up and down the Dead Marshes we quested, through Fens and Mires and Impassible Bogs, from the Brown Lands to the Heart of the Marshes and back again, and back to the Heart of the Marshes, all the while having no luck catching Gollum! Gandalf showed up to help defeat another Giant Marsh Worm, which was a longed-for boon, but there was still no sight of Gollum.

The end came swiftly, when a second Evil Storm killed off all three of my heroes. They're down there now, in the Marshes, dead faces and little lights... and Gollum has escaped, to where, who knows?

(He was actually the third card from the bottom of the encounter deck, so if I hadn't lost all my heroes to the storm, I would've run out of time as the threat track would've reached 50 well before I could've quested to him.)

So yeah, I no longer think it's quite as easy as all that, even if it is more through the vagaries of a bad hand/unfortunate shuffle than actual difficulty of encounters. At least this time I enjoyed it a lot more than the first game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spalanzani wrote:
Then a Giant Marsh Worm turned up, followed not too much later by a Goblin Sniper. So while I was struggling to defeat that Worm, what with it discarding two wounds at the end of the round, the Sniper was up there taking potshots at my fellowship, resulting in everyone being pretty beat up by the time I managed to get rid of the beasties.

What on earth was Dunhere doing while the Sniper was pinging you for damage? Sniper and Hummerhorns kills are about 99% of Dunhere's kills out of the staging area for me, although I'm still anxious to get Dwalin so I can finally get rid of Dunhere.

Quote:
(He was actually the third card from the bottom of the encounter deck, so if I hadn't lost all my heroes to the storm, I would've run out of time as the threat track would've reached 50 well before I could've quested to him.)

Not a lot of threat reduction in your deck?

Quote:
So yeah, I no longer think it's quite as easy as all that, even if it is more through the vagaries of a bad hand/unfortunate shuffle than actual difficulty of encounters. At least this time I enjoyed it a lot more than the first game!

Finished my six play rotation of 2-deck games of it, went 6-0, although at least three wins were lucky and/or narrow (like the sixth game, 5 willpower to the final escape test, drew six cards due to six tokens, total escape value: 4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunhere can't attack the sniper while the worm is in the staging area, can he? The sniper's text says players cannot opt to engage him if another enemy is in the staging area, so I was throwing Dunhere at the worm trying to get rid of that beastie. Have I been missing something again..?! (I hope I have!)

I had two of those Greeting cards that only one turned up in the course of my game, and I used Gandalf in the end to destroy the marsh worm, rather than reduce my threat. Nothing else I had really worked to reduce it at this point (it's a principle of mine that I only ever include one unique character in the deck, so I never have three Gandalfs popping up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spalanzani wrote:
Dunhere can't attack the sniper while the worm is in the staging area, can he? The sniper's text says players cannot opt to engage him if another enemy is in the staging area, so I was throwing Dunhere at the worm trying to get rid of that beastie. Have I been missing something again..?! (I hope I have!)

Sniper only prevents you from choosing to engaging it if another Enemy is in the staging area, but Dunhere isn't engaging, "just" attacking, so Sniper is fair game for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
spalanzani wrote:
(it's a principle of mine that I only ever include one unique character in the deck, so I never have three Gandalfs popping up).

That's thematically brave, but totally bonkers! wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
spalanzani wrote:

Sniper only prevents you from choosing to engaging it if another Enemy is in the staging area, but Dunhere isn't engaging, "just" attacking, so Sniper is fair game for him.

I knew I'd gotten it wrong. I've been playing this game for months, but have only actually played it a handful of times across said months, so I frequently forget or misinterpret rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.