Subject: Suitability of Upgrade Pack to Collectors edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I understand that the cards in the upgrade pack would include only the base game pack.
This means that owners of the Collectors Edition would be unable to play the full game (incl. expansion) if using the new cards. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the existing first edition (CE) expansion would still be uncompatible with the Second Edition as the game would be heavily tilted in the FP's favor.

You could buy the upgrade kit and play with the base cards from it and mixing in the expansion cards from the CE but it wouldn't be fair for the Shadow player.

Easy sollution:

If you want to play just the base game use the cards from the upgrade kit with your fancy CE bits.

If you want to play with the First Edition expansion play with what you have in the CE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a CE owner. I can't see myself going back to the base game - I've gotten too used to the expansion options. The expansion does have some rough edges though, so I am looking forward to seeing what they do in the revised version. I am very hopeful that the new expansion can be made compatible with the CE, and there will be an upgrade path for CE owners to get the new expanded game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently, we've been playtesting "basic" 2nd edition together with "old" expansion.

While there is some advantage to the FP player, as Kristofer noticed, even at the master level there is a fair share of Shadow victories.

So, while we definitely plan to improve and expand the previous expansion for use with WOTR 2nd Edition, there is really no big issue in combining the 2nd Edition basic game with the 1st Edition expansion included in the Collector's Edition, even if they were not designed to be played together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's good to hear, I guess. However, while I am no master level player, I have found the FSP to be tough to corrupt before Mt. Doom with the expansion, which is probably my least favorite thing about it. I do like the way Smeagol shakes up the FSP strategy (assuming leadership), but he is such a corruption sponge. I think corruption needs to be a threat to keep the game tension high. Otherwise, we like most of the expansion elements. It's particularly nice to have some options with Galdalf.

I fear that the 2nd edition buffs to the FP side would probably not be a good combo with the 1st ed expansion for us. Maybe we'll go back and play the base game for a while with the 2nd edition upgrade while you get the 2nd edition expansion ready. I am very glad that the 2nd edition card upgrade is available in a format suitable for the CE!

I wonder if your comments above are meant to prepare the CE owners for the possibility that the new expansion won't work for them? I guess the worst case scenario is that we would have some unpainted minis running around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to add that I am very pleased with the changes made to 2nd edition. My main reason for using the expansion was that the base game felt too scripted after a while and the expansion added some options. I will willing to put up with some rough edges for the sake of that versatility. However, with the 2nd edition ruleset, I don't think I'll NEED the expansion anymore because you've attacked the scripted points and made them harder choices. Of course I'll still WANT the extra stuff - I'm eager to see how you do with the revised expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
drasher25 wrote:
That's good to hear, I guess. However, while I am no master level player, I have found the FSP to be tough to corrupt before Mt. Doom with the expansion, which is probably my least favorite thing about it. I do like the way Smeagol shakes up the FSP strategy (assuming leadership), but he is such a corruption sponge. I think corruption needs to be a threat to keep the game tension high. Otherwise, we like most of the expansion elements. It's particularly nice to have some options with Galdalf.

The base game (1st editions) is considered by expert players to be biased toward the Shadow player, at an about 60-65% of the games won by him.
The 1st edition expansion addressed this problem by adding more perks to the free people, so that the expanded game is considered balanced.

I suppose the designers wanted to improve the balance in the base game for the second edition, and so buffed the free again.
I assume that if the 2nd edition game would be considered balanced, the 2nd edition expansion would be "neutral".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.