Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian F
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey all,

Im eagerly awaiting my copy of the second edition WOTR, I never played the first one (and wish I had) so I just had a few questions maybe about the strategy of the game after reading the rules several times, and a couple session reports.

When playing as the free peoples, do you usually split the fellowship up early to help activate the nations? or is it situational?

On reading up on the victory conditions, is it usually a ring based victory for the free peoples? It seems like it would be awfully hard to win a military victory no?

Last question, and this is mainly for first edition - did it seem that one side won more than the other? I read the dev articles about how they really tried to balance the game better but I was just curious if it seemed more heavily favored to one side or the other?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played yet either, but am planning on picking up the 2nd edition as soon as it shows up.

The impression I've gotten is that the balancing mostly referred to balancing specific strategies more than overall FP vs. Shadow. Some strategies were too dominant so steps were taken to tone them down to bring them closer to a 50/50 as well as to promote variety in gameplay since people wouldn't be incented to follow the same lines all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
wyrm187 wrote:
When playing as the free peoples, do you usually split the fellowship up early to help activate the nations? or is it situational?

It's situational (and sometimes forced because of the Events played by the Shadow player).

wyrm187 wrote:
On reading up on the victory conditions, is it usually a ring based victory for the free peoples? It seems like it would be awfully hard to win a military victory no?

A Ring based victory is the main way to victory for the Free Peoples but sometimes a sloppy Shadow will invite the attempt of a Free Peoples Military Victory. But the FPMV is a viable attempt. You can separate all Companions and go all out military (and completely ignoring the Fellowship). Search for posts by Magic Gecko in the forum.

wyrm187 wrote:
Last question, and this is mainly for first edition - did it seem that one side won more than the other? I read the dev articles about how they really tried to balance the game better but I was just curious if it seemed more heavily favored to one side or the other?

Once you have played the game enough times some strategies will become apparantly more successful and with this the Shadow military blitz strategy gives the Shadow a 70-30 win ratio between advanced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian F
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks guys - one last question,

when companions separate and form a group, can that group separate later on or are they stuck together in that group? I couldnt find anything in the rules about it.

I assumed they could separate since it says they can form groups with companions in the same region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
wyrm187 wrote:
when companions separate and form a group, can that group separate later on or are they stuck together in that group? I couldnt find anything in the rules about it.

I assumed they could separate since it says they can form groups with companions in the same region.

Yes, once the Companions are Separated you can move them as groups (if they begin the move in the same region) or split them up and move them as individuals.

With a single Character die result you can move all Separated Companions on the map this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bog danov
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Veldrin wrote:
Once you have played the game enough times some strategies will become apparantly more successful and with this the Shadow military blitz strategy gives the Shadow a 70-30 win ratio between advanced players.

Does the second edition address this in any way? Having such a dominant strategy with such a big advantage does not sound that fun to me, in what seems to be an otherwise very interesting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
bogdanov wrote:
Veldrin wrote:

Does the second edition address this in any way? Having such a dominant strategy with such a big advantage does not sound that fun to me, in what seems to be an otherwise very interesting game.

Yes, the second edition has been designed to bring the balance much closer to 50-50, by giving the FP a boost while changeing some of the Shadow's powers to do make it slightly weaker.

Read the design notes (all ten of them) over at Ares' website:

http://www.aresgames.eu/category/articles+war-of-the-ring-ga...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.