SPQR (Deluxe Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: 5.3 Momentum die roll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why isn't there any real risk with the momentum die roll? The worst can happen is that the round ends or the opponents gets a re-activation but chances for those are 1/100 and 2/100, so not very risky. In other words the player who tries momemntum roll doesn't really lose anything but if the other guy tries to trump then one his leaders might be finished and some other leaders won't probably even get a chance to trump later due to rule 5.44.

Am I missing something or what?

Something like in Infidel would be much better. Maybe with slight modification: If the player attempting momemtum roll fails, the opposing player is given one free activion(the leader doesn't become finished after his activation and he cannot try to roll for momentum) with a non-finished leader.

The opposing player may also try to trump the momemtum roll with any of his non-finished leaders(regardless of iniative) under the rules 5.46 and 5.47. If the trumping leader succeeds, he is activated, but if he fails, he is then finished and the player originally trying the momemtum roll gets his activation.

Would do you think?

Quote:
5.44 A leader who fails a Trump attempt, or has been trumped when
trying for Momentum, is Finished. An inactive leader who has not
yet been activated and who has been passed over—has an Initiative
that is the same as or lower than the Trumping leader—by a successful
trump or who was trumped by a friendly leader, is still eligible
for activation (he’ll probably still be next in line as the
lowest-rated leader). However, this “Bypassed Leader”
may not use Momentum that turn. Use the “Trumped /
No Momentum” markers to indicate this.
Play Note: The No-Momentum restriction means that if, at Zama,
Laelius attempted to gain Momentum, did so, but was then Trumped
by Hannibal, not only would Laelius be Finished, but all remaining
Roman (and Carthaginian) leaders who had yet to go would get only
one Phase (after Hannibal completed his turns). They could NOT
attempt Momentum! This is an important consideration when one
is formulating “game” tactics.

5.46 A leader that successfully trumps cannot pass. He must issue an
order to a unit to move or fire, or he must use his Command Range
to precipitate a Shock attack. A unit is considered to have moved for
the purpose of this rule if it ends the phase in a hex different from
the one in which it started.

5.47 A leader that is in an enemy ZOC may attempt to Trump.
However, if successful, he must obey 5.46—otherwise the trumping
action is considered to have never occurred.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it works fine right now.

I always looked at it differently. Momentum is not a risk/reward situation... if a leader tries and fails its not a turning point in the battle. Its just that leader didn't get to press on, etc.

While the trump action represents an opposing leader attempting something risky in the course of a battle. And, if it works, fine. If not, it could be costly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Taylor
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a risk factor with Momentum, but Momentum in GBoH is more of a way to model leadership. The better leaders and commanders will be more successful (with both Momentum and Trumping). A leader that attempts Momentum and fails is finished. At a given point in a game, this can have a major effect on a battle. As far as the "Die Roll of Doom", this mechanic adds a little uncertainty and I have had it come up in fair amount of the battles I've played.

I play both GboH and the BSO Games system used in Infidel, I enjoy both. I would not change the activation system in GBoH, nor would I change the system used in Infidel.

Albert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I feel is that without the trumping rules the momentum roll becomes very unbalanced but I don't want to add another layer of complexity with the trumping rules in my first games. On the other hand I feel the game is not complete if you play only in order of leaders. Should I just play a few games without momentum roll and trumping rules to get a feel of the other things in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Taylor
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you start out with smaller battles, you shouldn't have any trouble using the Trump rules. By your post, you seem to already have a good grasp of the Activation rules.

Albert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.