Gerald Robinson
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Jack of All Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried the "Epic" variant introduced to Thunderstone for Resident Evil? (For reference, I did NOT create the "Epic" format. I only read about it in the Thunderstone forums.)

I have all three expansions and with each expansion offering something different, like partners in Alliance, and infections in Outbreak, I was trying to figure out a way to include everything from both sets and still make it playable.

For those of you unfamiliar with the "Epic" variant, it combines all of the cards from each of the sets into multiple piles that can be purchased from.

I just bought Outbreak, so I have not yet tried this, but this is what I am proposing:

1. Combine all three mansions into one deck. The game ends when any one of the three boss monsters is defeated.
2. Create multiple weapon piles for the different types of guns. One shotgun pile, a machine gun pile, a handgun pile, etc. Shuffle all versions of these weapons together into their own piles.
3. Actions should all be shuffled together from every set. You can split this into as many piles as you like but I would suggest between 2-4 to keep some card variety.
4. Once during each player's turn, that player can take the top card off of any action or item pile and put it at the bottom of the pile. This is to help cycle the cards.
5. Play uses partners and infections. Only the main character receives infection levels and if they become a zombie, the partner is removed from play as the first victim.

I plan on trying this in the next couple of weeks. Let me know if anyone else has success with it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John VanDenBerg
United States
Farmington
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried an Epic variant this weekend. We built the Mansion with 1 Big Bad and increasing quantities of decreasing strength opponents until we had around 35. Then we added all the traps/treasures/items/tokens for a total mansion deck of 60 cards. 4 piles of weapons, 8 piles of actions, 3 piles of ammo, and 1 pile of items. We allowed one top-card cycle per player per turn. It was fun, but it went long.

The next time we try an Epic game, I will do the following:

Build a 45 card Mansion deck by thirds, with the top 15 mostly easy, the second 15 medium, and the bottom 15 mostly hard. 1 trap 1 treasure 1 item per 15.

3 Separate piles for starting cards; knife, pistol, 10 ammo.

3 Separate piles for 20 ammo, 30 ammo and treasure.

3 piles for mixed weapons including gatling gun & rocket launcher. No tokens in Mansion.

8 piles for mixed actions.

1 pile for mixed items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.