Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read (but can't seem to find) that there was a possibility of playing wargames using ipads (no, I don't mean Small World).

Annybody can share some light?

BTW I am completely tech impaired.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can run VASSAL on your PC, and the use one of the many remote desktop apps on the ipad to connect to that PC and control it. This isn't a great portable solution though. It works but it's not brilliant, ok if you just want to sit on the sofa and play though.

There is an app called everygame which allows creation of boardgames, but I don't think there are many if any wargame modules for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is certainly possible, someone has to design an "app" for these devices for any given wargame. Or, someone could design a "vassal" app for example. It will eventually come to pass. Victory Point Games will probably be the first to do it. Next week, their game "Loot and Scoot" will be released for the I-pad and I believe will come with AI. Surely some of their wargames will be on the way, but probably without AI. I think it is very difficult to create a good AI for most wargames, given the increased randomness caused by die rolling and trying to get the computer to make intelligent judgments about moves based on so many random factors. Memoir 44 has an online AI and I think it pretty much sucks. If you try Memoir 44 online it is much more satisfactory to pick an opponent than play the AI. Days of Wonder has said that the computing power needed for Memoir 44 online game far exceeds the present capacity of an Ipad. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jay.
Quote:
You can run VASSAL on your PC, and the use one of the many remote desktop apps on the ipad to connect to that PC and control it.

This is the solution that I read about, but could you point me to the "remote desktop apps"?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mick,

I certainly have read that some people are using vassal on the ipad. that is what I wanted to know how.

I expect that someone will create a system similar to vassal with internet play for this devices, but currently I will be more than happy just to use vassal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used Splashtop Remote to do this as I described above.

http://www.splashtop.com/remote

You install a server on the PC, the app on your ipad. You can then quite easily connect and view and control that PC from your ipad as if you were in front of it. Using this you can run and play vassal, along with any other software like cyberboard or zuntzu. I've even successfully run some simple PC strategy and war games through this.

Everygame info is here. I believe someone created Field Commander Rommel for it, but for their own use rather than distribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
Thanks Jay.
Quote:
You can run VASSAL on your PC, and the use one of the many remote desktop apps on the ipad to connect to that PC and control it.

This is the solution that I read about, but could you point me to the "remote desktop apps"?

Thanks.

No problem. A bit busy at the moment, but I'll check back here if you need any help getting it working, or are you just looking into it?. The main problem is firewalls stopping you connecting.

There are some free ones too which just use the standard remote desktop function built into windows, I'd have to do a little hunting for those though. If you search for "remote desktop" in the app store, you will find loads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
Canada
Saskatoon
SK
flag msg tools
mbmb
mickmick wrote:
Days of Wonder has said that the computing power needed for Memoir 44 online game far exceeds the present capacity of an Ipad.

I've heard this too but I just don't see it being true. There are a ton of games that seem far more graphics/AI/CPU intensive than Memoir '44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soofaloofa wrote:
mickmick wrote:
Days of Wonder has said that the computing power needed for Memoir 44 online game far exceeds the present capacity of an Ipad.

I've heard this too but I just don't see it being true. There are a ton of games that seem far more graphics/AI/CPU intensive than Memoir '44.

There's simply no way that Days of Wonder is right if they actually said that. They were either misled by a hack who doesn't know what they're doing or are using it to hide another (possibly very valid but unpopular) reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Foulke
United States
Bethel Park
PA
flag msg tools
Welcome to Friedey's!
badge
You want fries with that?
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly doubt you're going to see VASSAL as-is on an iPad. First off, VASSAL is written in Java, and iPad is an Objective C device. Android tablets are native Java devices, so perhaps that barrier is removed.

Second, VASSAL as-is uses big chunks of RAM, and iOS/Android devices are notably skinny on RAM.

Perhaps someone is working on something like VASSAL for these things, but I'm pretty sure it won't be VASSAL, and it won't work with .vmod files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
engdy wrote:
I highly doubt you're going to see VASSAL as-is on an iPad. First off, VASSAL is written in Java, and iPad is an Objective C device. Android tablets are native Java devices, so perhaps that barrier is removed.

Second, VASSAL as-is uses big chunks of RAM, and iOS/Android devices are notably skinny on RAM.

Perhaps someone is working on something like VASSAL for these things, but I'm pretty sure it won't be VASSAL, and it won't work with .vmod files.

Yep. Thank you Steve Jobs for being a petty little tyrant when it comes to supporting common platforms in order to ensure you can more fully control your customers. Any other reasons given by Apple on this sort of thing are steaming piles of BS.

In fairness for this specific case, the VASSAL application would make RAM a problem. The footprint can be reduced some for smaller modules so the RAM issue may not be a theoretical deal killer. I've never actually tried to see how small I can get it as I don't have any lowish RAM computers currently in operation. Really with that kind of screen real estate means small games are what we'd be looking at. The scrolling needed to play Case Blue is bad enough on a big screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockhopper01 wrote:
http://www.vassalengine.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4620

There has been some talk of using C++ for VASSAL version 4, which does bring the possibility of an iOS port. Possible, but a very long way out.

News to me. My C++ skills are better than my Java skills, maybe I'll wander over and poke my head in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's gotten buried under more immediate issues, so here's the thread with the main discussion on what could be done for Vassal 4:

http://www.vassalengine.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3914&s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
It's gotten buried under more immediate issues, so here's the thread with the main discussion on what could be done for Vassal 4:

http://www.vassalengine.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3914&s...

Reading through it sounds like they are considering a rewrite as well as considering an update to the current version.

I think a browser version of Vassal is the way to go. Build the frontend in JavaScript and the backend using ruby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what's giving Vassal cold feet in regards to the ipad is Apple's draconian control. What happened to everygame can't make them feel comfortable. My guess is that they will go the android tablet route, which is fine by me as I'm pretty sure we'll see larger devices. I love my ipad, but a larger screen would be more to love (especially with wargames).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeb123 wrote:
Reading through it sounds like they are considering a rewrite as well as considering an update to the current version.

I think a browser version of Vassal is the way to go. Build the frontend in JavaScript and the backend using ruby.

They is a current update almost ready, v3.2. And they will see what features will still be implemented in the old source code. But then it's all for the new v4 which will be a complete rewrite. It will not be a browser version, it will be C++ with some scripting language and a cross-platform GUI framework (Win/Mac/Lin).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
horrido wrote:
I think what's giving Vassal cold feet in regards to the ipad is Apple's draconian control.

No. The problem is that Vassal is written in Java, and Java shall never sully iOS. No cold feet involved.

A large part of the point of Vassal 4 is to rewrite and reorganize the code so that it is easier to test, debug, and maintain. It looks like it will be written in C++ (which can be compiled to iOS, along with everything else), using publicly available I/O libraries that can be fixed if a problem is found (there's a lot of code in Vassal 3 working around decade-old problems in Java image handling).

Among other goals of Vassal 4 is the idea of supporting a scripting language (which one is still to be determined), so that modules needing features not in the base code can use the comparatively simple scripting language instead of having to be written in Java or C++.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
horrido wrote:
I think what's giving Vassal cold feet in regards to the ipad is Apple's draconian control.

No. The problem is that Vassal is written in Java, and Java shall never sully iOS. No cold feet involved.

How is that not due to Apple's draconian control? "Java shall never sully iOS" is the epitome of said control. As is their weird policy regarding everygame (which I have my own theories about).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to bring up a different aspect.
i use vassal on my 22" monitor on my pc at a high resolution, and i often feel it is not enough to comfortably view everything.

now imagine that same problem on a screen that is what 10 inches?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
Rindis wrote:
horrido wrote:

How is that not due to Apple's draconian control? "Java shall never sully iOS" is the epitome of said control. As is their weird policy regarding everygame (which I have my own theories about).

Reread my comment; I was talking less about 'draconian control', and more about 'cold feet'. Vassal doesn't have cold feet about iOS; the proposed move to C++ is in (small) part to address the people who keep asking for an iOS version of Vassal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments guys.

I did a try yesterday and worked fine. Not the best of worlds, but still feasible.

regarding Vassal 4, C++ amd Steve Jobs. "My cats breaths smells like cat food". That is all I can say!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.