Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Favorite Village? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anonymous Lastname
msg tools
What's your favorite Village? For these purposes, "village" is defined as any residentially-themed card that gives +2 actions, so City, University, and Shanty Town all count, but Festival and Bazaar don't.

I think mine is University. There are just so many good 5-cost cards!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shanty Town. I wasn't too excited about it at first, but I can't tell you how many games it has won for me once I decided to pay a bit of attention to it. Fantastic card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreybetween wrote:
Shanty Town. I wasn't too excited about it at first, but I can't tell you how many games it has won for me once I decided to pay a bit of attention to it. Fantastic card.


Fishing village. It's too sweet to start the turn with extra actions and makes torturer, wharf type decks really strong.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Farming village a bunch but this for me is no doubt Fishing Village!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Lastname
msg tools
Fishing Village does have a lot to recommend it in terms of power. The automatic action on your next turn is pretty great. For some reason I don't enjoy playing with the card much though.

I like Border Village a lot too, though this is biased by the fact that the first Hinterlands game I played involved multiple Haggler-Province-Border-Village-Duchy plays.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fishing Village is the only village I will never pass up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Lastname
msg tools
thegreybetween wrote:
Shanty Town. I wasn't too excited about it at first, but I can't tell you how many games it has won for me once I decided to pay a bit of attention to it. Fantastic card.


I'm quite surprised by this view of the issue. I've long seen Shanty Town as one of the weakest Villages--if the actions are useful, you don't get the +2 cards, and if you get the +2 cards then the actions probably aren't useful. (You may draw one terminal action card, but the odds of needing 2 actions after drawing 2 cards are pretty slim in most decks.) Plus it's anti-resonant with itself. The more you have, the worse each of them is.

Why do you see it otherwise?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enfynet enfynet
msg tools
mb
How can you remove Bazaar from the "village" theme? It's a village with a coin. (Unless you're going by name only? then why count University?)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Lastname
msg tools
enfynet wrote:
How can you remove Bazaar from the "village" theme? It's a village with a coin. (Unless you're going by name only? then why count University?)


I said "residentially themed." Universities have dorms, bazaars don't.

I see Bazaar as part of a "downtown events" series that includes Festival, Market, and Grand Market. But if you want to classify Bazaar in the Village series and say it's your favorite from that series, feel free.

I think Bazaar is too expensive anyway. It would be underpriced at 4, but other 5-costs are usually better buys.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Staines
United Kingdom
Grimsby
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See I like University, and many other cards within alchemy but seriously dislike the way potions work. Why did they have to ruin a really good games system by bringing in a dual currency system?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
drransom wrote:
I've long seen Shanty Town as one of the weakest Villages...Why do you see it otherwise?


+2 Cards and +2 Actions for 3 money is fantastic. Granted, you have to use it very carefully or it is, as you mentioned, very lackluster. Try a deck that primarily focuses on Treasure cards, get a nice deck-thinner early and don't buy more than 2-3 Actions that aren't Shanty Towns. What you end up with is a deck that effectively employs the whole "village idiot" idea with great results. The trick to Shanty Town is that you're not interested in the +2 actions as much as you're interested in the cards. Spamming Shanty Towns gets them out of your hand, meaning you'll almost always trigger the +2 Card effect (usually several times per turn, as the +2 cards often nets you a Treasure and another Shanty Town), and you'll always have plenty of actions to get everything else out of your hand to keep the cards flowing. Getting up to 8 money in any hand is hardly a problem after a few turns. Of course, if "Cellar" is available, or some other way to recycle your Victory cards, add 2-3 of those and you're bulletproof.

I know that there are many, many other (and more efficient) ways to pull off this sort of deck, but from the standpoint of Village-type cards, this is my favorite.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreybetween wrote:
Spamming Shanty Towns gets them out of your hand, meaning you'll almost always trigger the +2 Card effect (usually several times per turn, as the +2 cards often nets you a Treasure and another Shanty Town), and you'll always have plenty of actions to get everything else out of your hand to keep the cards flowing. Getting up to 8 money in any hand is hardly a problem after a few turns.

You know what is an even easier way to get up to $8? If each of those Shanty Towns had been Silvers instead.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreybetween wrote:
Shanty Town. I wasn't too excited about it at first, but I can't tell you how many games it has won for me once I decided to pay a bit of attention to it. Fantastic card.


I thought Shanty Town was awesome when I first saw it. I now consider it one of those cards that's good sometimes but mediocre most of the time. Which is why it costs 3.

Also, what's the deal with your avatar? If that were a cat, you'd be banned from the site!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Lastname
msg tools
High Elf Andrew wrote:
See I like University, and many other cards within alchemy but seriously dislike the way potions work. Why did they have to ruin a really good games system by bringing in a dual currency system?


That is a very common reaction. I really like Alchemy, and ould call it my favorite expansion, but it was almost a waste of money because nobody else in my games group wants to play with it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chwhite wrote a good article a while back comparing all the Villages. This was pre-Hinterlands, so no Border Village.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Border Village is pretty nuts when the right 5-attack cards are in play. Ghost Ship, Torturer, or Witch? Brutal.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Lastname
msg tools
cordeiro wrote:

I thought Shanty Town was awesome when I first saw it. I now consider it one of those cards that's good sometimes but mediocre most of the time. Which is why it costs 3.


Yeah, but but a card can be good or bad for its cost. Bazaar is a mediocre card (IMHO) because it costs 5. At 4, it would be a very good card. Shanty Town would probably be underpriced at 2. Unfortunately, unless a card is competitive with Gold, there are only 4 prices you can give it, so balancing a card by changing the cost is very tough.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
theory wrote:
You know what is an even easier way to get up to $8? If each of those Shanty Towns had been Silvers instead.


Agreed. However, this is a much better way to ensure that you get those silvers into your hand, especially when your deck gets heavy with Provinces. Besides, I never said it was the end-all mega strategy. I'm merely explaining one of the many reasons why Shanty Town is my favorite village. Good times.

cordeiro wrote:
Also, what's the deal with your avatar? If that were a cat, you'd be banned from the site!


A harmless tribute to a classic image that, in mega-cropped-thumbnail mode, leads to more than a few understandably shocked comments. The expression on the dog's face is why I like the shot. It speaks to the unfailing loyalty of dogs. Where a cat would have apathetically walked away, the dog has a classic "I don't know what you're doing, but I hope it doesn't suck" look. Behold:

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreybetween wrote:

Still controversial nearly 40 years later.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Lastname
msg tools
theory wrote:
chwhite wrote a good article a while back comparing all the Villages. This was pre-Hinterlands, so no Border Village.


Actually, I read that article recently and it's what inspired this post It's also why I asked a highly subjective question about a "favorite" Village rather than asking which Village is "best."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Definitely either Fishing Village or Border Village...each has a lot of uses.

Honorable mention goes to Native Village, for its ability to set up combos in ugly, messy decks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
drransom wrote:
theory wrote:
chwhite wrote a good article a while back comparing all the Villages. This was pre-Hinterlands, so no Border Village.


Actually, I read that article recently and it's what inspired this post It's also why I asked a highly subjective question about a "favorite" Village rather than asking which Village is "best."


i like to win, so my favorites are the best ones....

fishing village
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fishing Village. No question.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Robbins
United States
Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite would have to be native village. I wouldn't call native village the best, but it can sure be fun to set up some crazy combos.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
drransom wrote:
Fishing Village does have a lot to recommend it in terms of power. The automatic action on your next turn is pretty great. For some reason I don't enjoy playing with the card much though.

There is little to be said for a card which is so strong that it is ALWAYS purchased first. It then becomes basically a race to see who can get the most of that card (at least in 3P and 4P games.. you probably don't need 6 of them in a 2p game).

That being said, my favourite is the Native Village. It feels like the +2 actions are balanced by sending a random card to the mat. And then you get that massive "oomph" when you pull everything back. Good times.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.