GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,656 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Haggis» Forums » General

Subject: Why 2 over 3? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now i haven't played this game yet, just read the rules once. But i'm giving this game away as a gift soon and i'm going to tell them its better with 2 than with 3. But why exactly is that. After reading through the rules it seems like the 3rd person would only make it more fun and slightly faster.

a lot of people say that its best with two but why exactly is that?

thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the main difference is that the scoring is much more straightforward with 2 than with 3.

Otherwise, even though the game feels quite different with two than three, I find them both equally fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Almarr Ormarsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of those people and the main reason for me is that I like 2 player games more than I like 3 player games in general (I'm talking about other games than Haggis). With only 2 you've got more control over the result and it becomes a tactical battle. With three it's more unpredictable (which isn't a bad thing for some). Obviously it's more social with 3 but for that I'd personally go for other games.

It isn't by any means a bad 3 player game but in my opinion 2 player it is really good versus only good with 3.

But I think this is true with a lot of games, I like Carcassonne best with only 2 player and second best with 5 Totally different experiences, one tactical, the other social. 3 and 4 player games fall somewhere in between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pete
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the other replies.

Although I only tried one 3-player game...

3-player seems to be more of an unpredictable and "playing for fun" experience. Having 5 suits means that bombs are more common, and it's also more difficult to count cards.

2-player uses only 4 suits, so counting cards is quite a bit more manageable. The game becomes more strategic and bluffing also plays an important role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't tell them it's better with 2. That's a subjective opinion that has no basis in fact coming from you as you have not played it yet.

Let them decide themselves. I've played it 2 and 3 player and both games are terrific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mays
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
Don't tell them it's better with 2. That's a subjective opinion that has no basis in fact coming from you as you have not played it yet.

Let them decide themselves. I've played it 2 and 3 player and both games are terrific.

Excellent advice! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve N
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say the game is great with two and great with three. Although with three players I would only play this (official) variant:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/691681/more-forgiving-be...

This actually makes scoring a lot simpler since all bets are resolved seperately. It also encourages games to play out in the same way as we all love with two players.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
1. more control. Any trick taking game with more than two (two teams in partnership games) relinquishes substantial control over your (or your team's) fate by diluting card access and card knowledge.

2. It was designed originally as a two player game which would scratch the itch of Tichu, something it does very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Summit
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I've found more disappointing with 3 is how difficult it is to create runs. Since a run requires cards of the same suit, the odds of being dealt runs in the 3 player game is significantly reduced. This means you have fewer options in a 3 player game. As a result, playing your hand is more straightforward in 3 player games. In a 2 player game, you have many more options about how you want to use each card in your hand.

But let me add that I enjoy this game with 2 and 3, even if I slightly prefer the game with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.