Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to play the Lade scenario.

It lists Aeaces, Egypt, Cilicia, Tyre, Sidon, and Cyprus as the leaders for the Persian side. I couldn't find Cyprus in my counters, so I figured I must have lost it.

Took a look at my scanned counter sheets to ensure that Cyprus had the same values as the other squadron commanders (4, 3 on the reverse) before drafting someone as a replacement. Looking at sheet 5, I don't see Cyprus but there is a Byblos one.

Are there supposed to be a total of six Persian commanders (by replacing Cyprus with Byblos)? Or are there supposed to be five total, dropping Cyprus altogether? Or am I blind and just not seeing Cyprus somewhere else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Byblos is a Phoenician city on the coast of Lebanon, so it seems unlikely to be the same as Cyprus.

OTOH, the group of leaders seems pretty clear on the countersheet, so I would use Byblos as the leader, and discount the reference to Cyprus as a 'Bergism'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
Byblos is a Phoenician city on the coast of Lebanon, so it seems unlikely to be the same as Cyprus.

OTOH, the group of leaders seems pretty clear on the countersheet, so I would use Byblos as the leader, and discount the reference to Cyprus as a 'Bergism'.

Yeah I realize Byblos != Cyprus. It's just a matter of if the reference to Cyprus should be replaced or deleted entirely. If replaced, Byblos is the obvious choice counter-wise.

EDIT: I chose replaced, but in the end deleted is fine too. Missing a leader isn't likely to handicap the Persians enough to matter. Especially not as 9 of the already outnumbered Ionian galley counters fled before the battle even got underway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I was trying to say (alibi badly) was that Byblos very likely sent a contingent AND also Cyprus sent a contingent. So I suspect there was originally 7 leaders, but one was removed after playtesting, and they removed the Cyprus counter, and the Byblos leader setup instruction. But potentially there could be a Cyprus leader tucked away on another counter sheet, and the mistake is the Byblos leader setup instruction is missing.

As you say, probably makes very little difference to the outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I didn't get you were implying a third option. That being the potential of 7 leaders and not the versions involving 5 or 6 that I presented. Got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.