Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent game, the US was up on the Space Race enough to be able to see the USSR's headline card ahead of his own play. On one particular turn he did this, then played his own headline card, which was grain sales to the Soviets. This allows the US player to 'steal' a card from the USSR player's hand.

Does the USSR's headline card go back into his hand for the random pick? Or to put it another way, does the 'premature' showing of the headline card constitute a play, meaning it's out of his hand, or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Headline card would be out of his hand, even though it was revealed first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. The headline is resolved in op point order, ties to the US, but once played into the headline, the cards are no longer considered part of your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
This begs the question: what if it happened the other way around? if the USSR was ahead and played his card first, would the US player get to choose his own headline before the USSR took his random draw?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Headlines are played and resolved normally, it's just that the player with the space race advantage gets to find out what the other side picks before he/she chooses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 35 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
This begs the question: what if it happened the other way around? if the USSR was ahead and played his card first, would the US player get to choose his own headline before the USSR took his random draw?

Not sure what you mean here, Grain Sales is resolved by the US player no matter who plays it. Player behind on the Space Race chooses and plays his headline card face up, Player ahead on the Space Race plays his and then both are resolved as usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcon wrote:
cferejohn wrote:

Not sure what you mean here, Grain Sales is resolved by the US player no matter who plays it. Player behind on the Space Race chooses and plays his headline card face up, Player ahead on the Space Race plays his and then both are resolved as usual.

Oh, yeah, wait, dumb question, player ahead in space race just *sees* the chosen card. It still doesn't resolve until both are chosen. Nevermind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.