Hide
3 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » General

Subject: Proxying things rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Private
msg tools
Just got Risk Legacy last week. We decided to proxy our decisions and write everything down so we could reset the game completely after we did 15 games. We haven't opened any packs other then the when someone is eliminated pack. It's really not that difficult to keep track of stuff but would it become unmanageable later on once other things are opened? I'm really glad we started it like this as it allowed us to learn the game flow and the rules and then when we play for real we won't mess up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Names and numbers.
badge
I haven't changed this in years and I don't intend to start now.
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people have given a lot of thought to this. IMO, the easiest way to do it is to get a bunch of clear plastic sheets and some colored stickers and mark those up. You can write all over the plastic with permanent marker, and if you have 3 colors of stickers, that's all you really NEED. You can use one color for +/- defense (marked accordingly), one color for cities (marking population), and one color for secret things that come later. Index cards would work well for factions, and you can mark the resources a territory is worth on the plastic board cover (since you're likely going to be hyper cognizant of which countries you control anyway).

Print a pdf of the rules and make photocopies of the new rule stickers to paste in, and you're golden.

I *may* do this with a second copy, but I've really enjoyed destroying my copy, so I'd recommend it. I understand if you don't want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Hamilton
United States
Queen Creek
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a designer, I make a LOT of prototypes - and when I think about the different ways to do a reasonable proxy version of the game (leaving it all in tact)/

I considered printing out copies of the stickers, and then buying sleeves for the territory cards to mark new coins on. And then using transparency paper with the stickers.

Then you also need to make the faction cards.

My guess is you're looking at around 20 pages of card stock printed full color, then run through a sticker machine (Xyro) (cost wise, sticker paper is way more expensive). A pack of 42 sleeves. Ink. And transparency pages for the board - and then the time to build all of this - as well as the equipment time and availability to do this on the spot the first time you open a new pack.

I estimate costs at around 30$+time (most of the cost of the game), and you'd have to spend this again (+ time) the next time you want to play. I'm fairly experienced and can do this kind of work quickly - I have custom software, tools and the equipment to do nice cutting - double sided printing and the like - it would take me at least 4 hours.

That's if you want it to feel like you're actually playing the game, with a nice touch and feel to the game (which this game actually has).

There's a seller on Ebay with a buy it now at 45$. I don't know about you - but I'd rather just buy a new set.

It's a fun exercise to figure out how it would be done - and its a worthy exercise because if someone can figure out a cost effective way to reset the game without it being a notation nightmare, then that could be a huge leap forward for the acceptability of this kind of game.

However - my recommendation would be to buy 1 copy of the game and play it normally first. Then if you want to see if you can make a version you can reset, buy another copy to use for that purpose. That way you won't have to be spoiled by the amazing stuff locked away in the game the first time you play - and you'll have an idea of the sheer amount of content that would have to be created from scratch in order to make it still feel like the game, and not people writing down everything they are doing in notebooks to keep track of it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.