Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Virgin Queen» Forums » General

Subject: Will Someone Be Able to Play This Through Solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks great. But I was wondering what the: secret negotiation phase, is exactly. Is this players actually making deals with one another or a card that is played between two players?

Does this game play anything like Twilight Struggle? Or Labrinth? With either of those games I can play through those games by myself and still have a good time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
Avatar
mb
patton55 wrote:
This game looks great. But I was wondering what the: secret negotiation phase, is exactly. Is this players actually making deals with one another or a card that is played between two players?

It's actual deal making. In the two player variant of the predecessor, Here I Stand, diplomacy was simulated using a special deck of cards. In Virgin Queen, the two player game is a straight up wargame between Spain and the Ottomans. But with 3 to 6 players, the players make deals which are partly regulated by a framework specifying allowed changes to the game state (peace deals, marriages, alliances etc.) and partly free-form (e.g. "if you attack the Ottoman this turn I promise not to stab you in the back and take your capital").


patton55 wrote:
Does this game play anything like Twilight Struggle? Or Labrinth?

Apart from 1) it has a map 2) and some cards 3) and is published by GMT, it has nothing in common with Labyrinth or Twilight Struggle.


patton55 wrote:
With either of those games I can play through those games by myself and still have a good time.

I have heard of some people playing at least part of Here I Stand solo to get a feel for the mechanisms or test special scenarios, but as far as playing an entire game: forget it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the detailed response. Looks I may not get this game, even though it seems great, I just don't get togetherwith that many people very often.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Looks I may not get this game, even though it seems great, I just don't get togetherwith that many people very often.

I'm not sure if it's your cup of tea or not, but rest assured there will be a thriving community of online players for this game, just like there is for Here I Stand.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
António Vale
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mb
turbothy wrote:
I have heard of some people playing at least part of Here I Stand solo to get a feel for the mechanisms or test special scenarios, but as far as playing an entire game: forget it.

I actually think it's possible to play Here I Stand solo, you just do the usual wargame thing of thinking about the best moves for each side, and extend it to the diplomacy phase (looking for natural alliances or alignments of convenience, for example). It's doable to see how it plays and follow the unfolding game story, but obviously you're going to be missing a lot.

In fact, I think Twilight Struggle is a much harder game to solo, as the timing of the score cards is so important and the uncertainty of which of those your opponent might have is a big influence on how you play. I'd guess someone who is comfortable soloing Twilight Struggle should be ok with Here I Stand. What I admittedly don't know is how different the Virgin Queen structure is to Here I Stand.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
Avatar
mb
avale wrote:
I actually think it's possible to play Here I Stand solo, you just do the usual wargame thing of thinking about the best moves for each side, and extend it to the diplomacy phase (looking for natural alliances or alignments of convenience, for example). It's doable to see how it plays and follow the unfolding game story, but obviously you're going to be missing a lot.


Fair point.


avale wrote:
What I admittedly don't know is how different the Virgin Queen structure is to Here I Stand.


Not very. Additions off the top of my head: royal marriages, variable-CP treasure chits (but they're much like cards anyway), espionage. In a solo game you'd obviously never do espionage to sneak a peek at "another" player's hand, but you could still try to assassinate a leader and so on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well calandale played through here i stand twice solo... but he's a bit odd...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniele Petrini
Italy
Roma
Roma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played HIS solo a number of times. It's very doable. To start if you have trouble splitting your mind against itself try to play with couples of natural allies in mind. Hapsburg-Papacy / Ottoman-French / England-Protestant. This way when you're in doubt what to do or how to react you can always help/count on your natural ally.

As far as Virgin Queen is concerned I still have to find the time to read the rules but I'm pretty sure it will be soloable as well. I'm beginning to think that everything is soloable. I've even played hammer of the scots solo so...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Another way to solo a game like this is to assign personalities of people you know well to the powers. Ask yourself, what would my mom do in this situation, and you'll get an answer.

Another option that works great for these games in particular is to make decisions based on how you think the power's current ruler would behave.

Or you could use Real People cards.
5 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.