Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People have been clamoring for a re-release for an awful long while now. Is there really doubt that sales will be good enough?

At any rate, I'm glad that I finally noticed some of the threads discussing the situation. What with Christmas coming up and all, I'd hardly looked War of the Ring's way in a while and was still assuming for some reason that it would be coming out some time early next year with much fanfare. Ah well, now I'm off to preorder my own purchase, but wow. It's still a bit of a surprise.

I'm having minor flashbacks to A&A Anniversary. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/6426/sold-out-at-the-p...

Eh, you're right. They're not talking about "limited release" per se, although the talk of "being sold out at the publisher" and preorders having already sold out sure startled me. Especially when the designer chimed in.

cybernex wrote:
Very good article, Eric! At least for War of the Ring, however, don't worry too much! Ares sold out the first container, but there is a second container arriving into the US next week, so late-comers get a second chance.
(Most of the second container is pre-ordered as well, so interested people should try not to be too late!)

Either way, I now have a copy on preorder too, so I'm good to go. No more worries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI still has this available as a pre order, you guys think I should get it now? What's the real propability this will be sold out immediately after release? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who can know, short of being an industry insider or something? I'm just a naturally paranoid sort of person. I'd hate to miss out on this one like I missed out on the Axis & Allies Anniversary edition. Their talk about preorders and selling out is enough to spook me, but I'm easily spookable.

Miniature Market still has preorders available for it too. That's where I've got my copy coming from now. Better safe than sorry. It's only costing me a little over sixty bucks. That's not bad at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
I'm still deciding between this or Mage Knight.. or both.

When in doubt always pick up both.

Worst case scenario you have two games you don't want to play. Best case you have two awesome games.

If you only pick up one the worst case scenario is that you have one game you don't want to play and do not have the game you do want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The shipment with the 2nd container is coming in the USA next week, so there should be a reasonable availability through the Holiday Season.

How fast this first production run will sell out at the retail level, it's impossible to know even to an "industry insider". But my feeling is that won't last long.

In any case, this surely it's not intended as a "limited release". I can not say anything about when a reprint will come in, the problem with War of the Ring (as it happened in the past) is that it's a very expensive game to manufacture, and the demand must "build up" for a while before a reprint is possible, as a sizable print run is necessary.

So this means that there may be a lapse between one production and another, and it's a tough game to keep on the market 100% of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Will the german version be available at amazon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Heidelberger does the German version, and Heidelberger games are usually available through Amazon.de, I'd expect so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just please keep extra copies of the upgrade kit and new board around until the (first) expansion is released, so we can buy them together at that point. Hopefully the expansion will be a simple as possible (just new cards, rules, and a few figures?) to make that a reasonable purchase for CE and 1st edition + expansion people. Depending on what you add, a no-figures upgrade kit for the expansion sounds good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mitchell
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
chargetheguns wrote:
Just please keep extra copies of the upgrade kit and new board around until the (first) expansion is released, so we can buy them together at that point. Hopefully the expansion will be a simple as possible (just new cards, rules, and a few figures?) to make that a reasonable purchase for CE and 1st edition + expansion people. Depending on what you add, a no-figures upgrade kit for the expansion sounds good.

I don't think that that's happening, because they said that they're hoping to have two expansions and neither would be like the one for the first edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The basic idea is that the 2nd Edition Expansions will be playable by anybody who upgraded to the 2nd Edition.

However Ares does not have a plan to make an "Expansion Upgrade Kit" - in fact, such an item would be at the same time VERY niche, and almost completely pointless, because the Strategy Game expansions are just cardboard and cards, and not so many figures, so there is not much to re-use from Battles of Third Age (where most of the figures were actually used in the Battles games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just preordered it (just in case...)

Is there any thread I can check the differences of the new edition vs. the old ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
FYI, miniature market still has 15+ copies. No need to freak out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
jrescan wrote:
Just preordered it (just in case...)

Is there any thread I can check the differences of the new edition vs. the old ones?

Read the designer notes over at www.aresgames.eu and this article: http://www.aresgames.eu/1518
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
enpeze wrote:
Will the german version be available at amazon?

The German version isn't due out until Q2 2012, so don't start looking for it now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
does anyone know if boards&bits will be making this a preorder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RezardVareth wrote:
FYI, miniature market still has 15+ copies. No need to freak out.

Down to 11 now... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik S
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
now they are down to 7. i ordered mine last night. $58.00 is pretty cheap. Get your soon, they are going fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered miniature markets last copy, so get to it if you want a copy anytime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Mayers
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're sitting on 33 atm.

Almost certain that number will drop to 32 in a few minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's now out of stock at CSI. Man that was fast! Never been so glad with a preorder such as this uffff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.