GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,300 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Skyline 3000» Forums » Rules

Subject: What happens if you run out of floors? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious. It doesn't seem to mention in the manual what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
almo2001 wrote:
Just curious. It doesn't seem to mention in the manual what happens.

No, there is no mention of it, and that's the only flaw in the rulebook. You shouldn't run out if everyone plays competently, but it happened in my first game. Even Z-Man didn't have a definitive answer, but then I asked Alan Moon and he told me the floors are not supposed to be limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That screwed my first time playing, since the 4th turn nobody did a building since there were no more floors.

But i get to the same conclusion that making 6 floors buildings on the first turn of the game would break it and drive to the floors shortage.

first turn buildings should be from 1 to 3 floors as maximun, or the game must include more floors to be fully playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Santa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the rules state that the first building in a block had to be one floor.

EDIT: It does. Third bullet under Construction Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W.
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
There are 90 floors (blocks) supplied to the game.

There are a couple of rules that would reduce the practical number of floors played in a correctly played game:
1) First building played in any block (there are 3 sections of each of the 3 differently colored districts - these are referred to as blocks) must be a single floor building.
2) Subsequent buildings in a given block can, at most, be one floor higher than the previous highest building.
3) Each player can play, at most, 10 buildings each (for a total of 40 buildings).
4) Not a rule but a game element: there are 62 total spaces where player buildings can be placed (not including green spaces, mega malls, and space ports)...going around the board, the following number of buildings are able to be placed: Blue - 8, 7, 6; Yellow - 7, 7, 6; Red - 8, 7, 6

At a maximum, an 8-building block can utilize 36 floors. A 7-building block can utilize 28 floors. A 6-building block can utilize 21 floors. In theory, this would be 247 floors. Given that there is a limit to 40 buildings that can be played, that would reduce the number of floors that could be used (down to a maximum 162 floors by eliminating the 6-building blocks and 4 of the buildings in one of the 7-building blocks).

I suppose that between your plants where you're preparing your buildings and what is played among the 40 buildings on the game board, you could run out of floors.

Strategically, billboards do make sense (even if you don't replace them...which could be a strategic advantage not to build over them), so that should reduce the buildings and floors used in several of the blocks. Also, the very nature of having to build such a tall building tends to be a disincentive to continuing to battle for a block. Greenspaces will also likely reduce the number of buildings in a block.

I suppose the easiest solution if you're finding you're still running out of floors is to get a bunch of 2x2 Lego bricks for the floors (perhaps 250-300 of them): this would have been a perfect game to make into a Lego board game (probably costing around $40 if it were to include that many 2x2 bricks - perhaps $30 if it were to include only 100 2x2 bricks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Would have run out last game, had I not found some extras from another box. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kaden sze
Canada
flag msg tools
if the solution is to buy lego bricks, then I suggest using THAT MONEY FOR LEGO to buy yourself another copy of this same game to at least increase the number of blocks to 180 pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.