Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a couple of 4p games.

In one, p2 was able able to roll raiders on his first turn and that player ended up raiding p1's 3 ore, citing he couldn't get ore himself since p1 plugged it up with a 6. He didn't know at the time that the resources from Raiders could be mixed and matched across several players. Otherwise, he probably would've just taken an ore from p3 and p4 as well, although then they'd probably be hurtin'. P1 ended up hurtin' due to a bad start.

In another game, one player was more or less able to constantly get raiders since he had die modifiers (both +1 and -1) and extra dice, and thus plug up the raider spot with 4-5-6 and pretty much went on a raiding spree.

For those of you who've played the game alot, is it fair to say that the nastiness of Raiders can be overcome?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chee Kiam Lim
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of the times, raiding is not the best option available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I've had a couple of 4p games.

In one, p2 was able able to roll raiders on his first turn and that player ended up raiding p1's 3 ore, citing he couldn't get ore himself since p1 plugged it up with a 6. He didn't know at the time that the resources from Raiders could be mixed and matched across several players. Otherwise, he probably would've just taken an ore from p3 and p4 as well, although then they'd probably be hurtin'. P1 ended up hurtin' due to a bad start.

In another game, one player was more or less able to constantly get raiders since he had die modifiers (both +1 and -1) and extra dice, and thus plug up the raider spot with 4-5-6 and pretty much went on a raiding spree.

For those of you who've played the game alot, is it fair to say that the nastiness of Raiders can be overcome?
The short emphatic answer is: YES!

In your first scenario with player 2, player 1 probably shouldn't have collected 3 ore on turn 1 (this is a common newbie move). There are other moves to make on turn 1 if you can't get a ship. You can run the hub in order to get to the planet first (this is a bigger advantage than most people think), or cycle for an alien tech card to help you on a future turn and promote an overall strategy for the game, or set-up with a fuel/ore so you are ready for your ship or colony on a future turn. Even if player 2 shares the hurt, what has happened is that the start player has changed and the loss of resources can be made up in the future.

As to your second scenario raiding spree, this player is spending his turns raiding and not landing colonies/building ships/WINNING THE GAME. I enjoy heckling the over-raider who comes in last place in our games. devil If someone aggressive like this is playing in your game, then you focus more on running the hub and not stockpiling resources. Also, you practice the "Cheeseburger Effect", which is to use anything gained on the same turn so it is not hanging around to be taken. And if you are still having problems, there is always the Holographic Decoy.

When I roll a 4-5-6, sticking the dice in the Raider's Outpost is not the obvious answer. The potential to get more value out of that roll is big, and sometimes even putting them in the hub surprise is the best move!

Silly Summary:
This ain't no Euro game!
Autistic stockpiling is punished in this game.
Space is no place for Tenderheart Carebears.
Real Spacemen get resourceful when their back is to the bulkhead.

Just you wait until the Smugglers Alliance faction enters play! Then the Tenderheart Carebear wailing shall REALLY commence!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup

I LOVE BABYLON 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think Raiders has to be nasty, because it's not always the best thing you can do with those dice (or dice & modifiers). If someone has four ore they are asking for trouble, but otherwise you can get more fuel or a wider choice of artifacts with those dice. If the Raiders didn't take another player down a peg and only got you the goodies, it would rarely be taken.

The Holographic decoy is very effective psychologically. I always try to get one early, especially if I end up with a VP artifact.

Unless you sitting on four ore, or three ore, I guess, you can get whatever you lose back with three or fewer dice. Yes, that costs you a turn, but the raiding player spent a turn, too.

As for going on a spree with modifiers and maybe a Holographic Decoy to prevent tag-backs, I think I'd rather have another player on a raiding spree than a colonizing spree...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.