Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benoit Flageol
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
I'm looking for good board games available on Xbox Live Arcade.

The game must have an offline multiplayer mode (2 players playing on the same screen)

I already have Carcassonne and I love it!

Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kinsman
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Ticket To Ride came out on XBLA a while ago, and I'm pretty sure it has local multiplayer. It would have a demo you could try to verify that if nothing else.
Apples to Apples just came out yesterday, but I honestly know nothing about how it works. Grab the demo.
Panzer Assault is on there, but I'm pretty sure it supports only online multiplayer ...
The Magic the Gathering games have offline game modes for two (although you might only be able to do the 2-headed giant co-op side of things, not a straight face-off).
Age of Booty is boardgame-like, and supports offline play, either co-op or head-to-head. Recommend you check it out.

And that's all I can think of off-hand. Hope it helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nickerson
Canada
Fort St John
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wits & Wagers is also available on xbox live but that version sucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Greed Corps is a board game for all intent and purposes. It definitely could exist as one.
It's not a bad game by any stretch, though it's not a "great" one. Certainly worth it's price at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oj1979 wrote:
Wits & Wagers is also available on xbox live but that version sucks.
Well, crap. I just bought that one last night. I guess I should have played the demo first.

Settlers of Catan is also available, but it is only one person local.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, oh... how about a "game show" game? Take a look at "you don't know jack". It is a trivia game, but is a lot of fun. Plays up to four local.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you think about it any game that has hidden elements simply doesn't work as a local multplayer game. The cards/resources in Ticket to Ride and Catan would be barriers to a single screen multiplayer game. I'm pretty sure neither of these suport single screen multiplayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Selurevad wrote:
If you think about it any game that has hidden elements simply doesn't work as a local multplayer game. The cards/resources in Ticket to Ride and Catan would be barriers to a single screen multiplayer game. I'm pretty sure neither of these suport single screen multiplayer.

TTR supports local multiplayer. Catan does not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
Selurevad wrote:

TTR supports local multiplayer. Catan does not.

If you look in the Indie Games sections you'll fine nice renditions of Kingdms and Hey! That's My Fish.

Also, try Greed Corp and Panzer General.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kinsman
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Selurevad wrote:

This is not a difficult fix as long as people are interesting in actually playing. Advance Wars has had local multiplayer since its original incarnation on the Gameboy Advance, and all they did to solve fog of war was to include a black screen that said, "Player X's turn!" so you could pass it to the next player. There's no reason that a similar approach couldn't work here. It's clunky to require people to leave the room, but it's better than the alternative of not playing at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Powell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is probably a question better for a video gaming site rather than a board game site, but for this I'd strongly recommend Schizoid. If you're playing 2 player one person controles a blue ship and one controls a red and basically thed blue ship destroys blue enemies but has to aviod red ones and the red ship destroyes red enemies but vunrable to blue ones, so the players need to work together to clear the stage. I think the enemies are supposed to reprensent bacteria virues and white blood cells. Anyway in my opinion it's just a really fun multiplier game to play.

Also there's Wik which is a platformer which I think there's a mode where to have to race players up platforms to aviod larva which can be fun and you can also get Doom which has a multiplier mode (personally I prefer the single player though) and Worms which I find is really fun to play against friends/family as it's a turn based stratagy but you can all just blow everything up and cause mayhem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sayburr wrote:
Oh, oh... how about a "game show" game? Take a look at "you don't know jack". It is a trivia game, but is a lot of fun. Plays up to four local.

The problem I usually have with any sort of trivia game is that if you like it at all you quickly run out of questions and start hitting a lot of duplicates. My wife recently bought Trivial Pursuit for the iPhone and on game 3 we already saw two questions we'd seen before. There really needs to be a ridiculously massive question library for the game to "work" longer than a brief time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
dboeren wrote:
Sayburr wrote:

The problem I usually have with any sort of trivia game is that if you like it at all you quickly run out of questions and start hitting a lot of duplicates. My wife recently bought Trivial Pursuit for the iPhone and on game 3 we already saw two questions we'd seen before. There really needs to be a ridiculously massive question library for the game to "work" longer than a brief time.

You Don't Know Jack is structured into themed episodes that handily dodges this issue - you won't get duplicates until you play the entire game.

And its a very, very funny game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.