Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duk
United States
Waikiki
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
I hate to ask this question because I know it's kind of a personal decision, but I've been driving myself crazy over the past 2 weeks waffling back and forth between the two titles. I've watched videos and read reviews, and I do believe I'm more confused now than when I started my quest. I just need some help/direction.

If you could buy just one game, would you buy Tikal or Tikal II (or something else entirely in the Mask Trilogy)?

Design wise (artistically speaking), I was originally drawn to Tikal II, but after watching some reviews I started thinking I might be better off with the original. Are the gameplay mechanics basically the same? Replay value equal? Are we just talking differences in theme or are there some fundamental improvements in one game over the other?

I'm a 2-month old (despise the term noob) when it comes to this 'new' world of board games, so I don't have much background to give you on who I am as a gamer. What I can tell you is it's just me and my wife playing. And we like to be immersed in the theme/artistry of a game while having something in the closet with solid replay value.

Probably comparing Apples to Apples on this one, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks in advance for any direction you can provide. I really enjoy being here at BGG and look forward to many years of happy gaming.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
It's late and I can't be bothered to type up why, but the answer is Tikal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've played both, but only own Tikal and Java from the Mask series of games (Mexica, Torres and Tikal II are the others).

Tikal is superb. Tikal II felt like Tikal's dumb cousin and I never played it again. Java is the best of the series if you ask me, but it's not for beginners and definitely not for folks prone to Analysis Paralysis (long drawn out turns due to the brain-lock that takes place when a player tries to work through all the possibilities and choose the optimal actions). I didn't feel Mexica brought enough new to the table to make it stand out from the others. Torres is just as good as Tikal, but Tikal got played more in my group, so Torres was auctioned off when I needed to scrape up some cash.

So... Java>Tikal>Torres>Mexica>Tikal II, but Java is out of print and not an ideal entry point into the series. Tikal is in print, relatively cheap and a perfect entry point. Not too complex, yet still containing enough meat to satisfy more experienced gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to go against the grain an recommend Tikal II for your situation. T2 is a better game for new gamers (as you said you are), and also a better game for 2 out of the box (though there are nice variants for T1 here on the geek). I own both and they're different enough to warrant having both. T2 is more of a lark to sit down and play, while T1 is a heavier commitment of time and brainpower. So it depends on what you're looking for in your gaming with your wife. You can't go wrong with either though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the original, but not T2. If I were to buy one today, it would be T2. The most important thing for you to know is that although they have similar theming and names, they are very different games.

T1 is a bit daunting because you have a lot of Action Points to spend each turn (as opposed to Pandemic, for example, where you can only take 4 actions each turn). That remained a minor annoyance for me throughout the game, but wasn't a big deal.

T1 can be played pretty aggressively, with tile blocking and pyramid competition. Personally I prefer less interaction, and I have the sense that T2 might be a bit less directly confrontational. But since I haven't played T2, that's only based on reading reviews.

T1 is officially 120 minutes, while T2 is officially 90. I like shorter games, so that's in T2's favor. T2 has a BGG-voted weight of 2.9, vs. T2's 2.7. I like slightly lighter games, so T2 is a better fit there as well.

I trust you have read this thread: Different than predecessor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duk
United States
Waikiki
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
Thank you all so very much for your well thought conclusions. After reading through this, I think I've become more comfortable with the idea that it will be This AND That ... but not all at once. heh

I'm pleased to read that they are different games (thanks Richard/Kevin), which (I think) was my main sticking point. So, I think we'll start with Tikal II for ease of entry and then circle back to Tikal when we have our footing ... and if we're still drooling for more will walk the following path:

hskrfn822 wrote:
So... Java>Tikal>Torres>Mexica>Tikal II

Thanks to all of you so very much. Now off I go to spend some money!

peakhope wrote:
I trust you have read this thread: Different than predecessor?

I hadn't, and thanks so much for pointing it out.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.