GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,933 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Competitive scenarios without attacking player vs player.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
juan garcia
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is it funny play competitive scenarios(Blitz COntest etc..) without attacking player vs player?

Where is the interaction, competition, screwing/screwage with the other players...??

Is it sufficient? Or is a kind of boring multiplayer solitarire in that way of playing...

Thks for all
Charly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
huyiuk wrote:
Is it funny play competitive scenarios(Blitz COntest etc..) without attacking player vs player?

Where is the interaction, competition, screwing/screwage with the other players...??

Is it sufficient? Or is a kind of boring multiplayer solitarire in that way of playing...

Each to their own. I've played this game lots now, most of the time competitive with no PvP. Right now, I'm not that keen on using the PvP rules. A number of my friends feel the same - we are perfectly happy with the non PvP Competitive scenario.

However, as you say, interaction is a lot lower, and the game does feel a bit like multiplayer solitaire. I dont think this is a bad thing at all, many other games are like this and are very popular. If you want more interaction, turn on PvP.

But without PvP there are still some very key things. First of all, choosing tactic cards. As other threads have said, if you go last in a round, the other players may have grabbed all the 'good' things. This is a game balancing mechanic, because it is the player who is leading who chooses tactic card last, so when the map is very tight and players are 'fighting' to go first, the players who are currently in last place will be able to go first next round.

You can also attack other people keeps, even with PvP turned off, and this can be important. It happens quite often in our games. There are also some spells and skills which affect other players, but this doesnt happen that often, but it does happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing without pvp so far and been perfectly happy with it. We've also found it incredibly hard fought and "competitive" even just competing for resources and racing for points. You can still attack other players' keeps and use spells to mess with your foes.

In fact, this has been the first game we've ever gotten a bit competitive while playing co-op - there's just so much to fight over racing to get!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.