GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,527 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Art and Graphic Design

Subject: Swords of the Seven: V3 cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
Hiya everyone,

I just wanted to upload the latest versions for the card designs I have made for my board game "Swords of the Seven".

Once again the illustrations used within the ovals of these cards are not mine and simply act as placeholders. I included them to give you an idea of the type of theme I am going for.

Let me know what you think of the card layout, appearance and overall design.

Thanks!

-Ian

EDIT: Changed the red heroism card a bit and added the event card.
EDIT2: A new version of the card back has been added.
EDIT3: Added a second card back image (for the Foe deck).
EDIT4: Added a third card back image (for the Event deck).
EDIT5-6: Edited the third card back image.
EDIT7: Added a newer version of the item card and added the item card's back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ian looking good. out of curiosity are the numbers on the Troll card(bottom left) and the fine armor card the same?(actually not so much the numbers but what they represent, like money or what ever) if so they feel a little disconnected to me (could be a size thing or even the boarder that encircles it.

Also I assume (again I don't know the rules) that the number at the top of the two cards with the Pommel(sword handle)showing are the representative of the same thing. If so the one with the purple banner is very dark compared to the one with the green banner.

not sure if this is an over sight or if its intentional. Other than that looking good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
Hiya Damian,

I'm really glad that you like the design work. It has taken a long time to get an appearance that i'm happy with.

You are correct, both the numbers on the bottom left of the Troll (Foe) card and the Fine Armour (Special Traitor Ability) card carry the same meaning. I will take a look at the how i can best re-enforce this bond. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I have also lightened the disks on the darker sword (Heroism) card. I agree with you, this makes the card far more functional.

Thanks for your kind words once again!

- Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the bits guy
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice work Ian.

A constructive comment (from a fellow designer): the blue card back is still the only one to look a little 'digital'/'vectory', compared to the more rich/lush fronts. It needs a slightly more pictorial texture treatment, or a lighting effect to break up the regularity of the pattern, IMHO.

Great stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ian.

So taking a look at the numbers on the troll card and the fine armor and I think its the BG that they sit on. The Troll card has the banner that hides the coins boarder and the fine armor does not. I'm pretty sure thats why its throwing me a bit. Its not a big deal and honestly its a personal preference kind of thing.

I might lighten the boarder of the coin just a bit to make it sit apart from the banner of the troll card. The coin itself is easy enough to read but it looks just a tad different than the coin on the fine armor card simply because of the boarder. Again though I think you have a winner here and I can't wait to give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Heya Ian,

Looks really lovely! The card layout and design is really top quality: very professional looking

my only point would be: the temp-illustration you put into the cards are nice and suit the part. When you get this done prpoerly it may well be a bit of a wastee to have a lovely created illustration and then make it really tiny and lose lots of detail?

But whatever you do, looks really nice, I really like the "front of the book" card that you have thee as well: will that be a card backing?

ace.

sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
matildadad wrote:
Very nice work Ian.

A constructive comment (from a fellow designer): the blue card back is still the only one to look a little 'digital'/'vectory', compared to the more rich/lush fronts. It needs a slightly more pictorial texture treatment, or a lighting effect to break up the regularity of the pattern, IMHO.

Great stuff!

Thanks so much for you compliments, I’m really pleased you like my work so far!

I took your advice and tried to apply more texture to the card back. See what you think...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
Warbringerd wrote:
Hey Ian.

So taking a look at the numbers on the troll card and the fine armor and I think its the BG that they sit on. The Troll card has the banner that hides the coins boarder and the fine armor does not. I'm pretty sure thats why its throwing me a bit. Its not a big deal and honestly its a personal preference kind of thing.

I might lighten the boarder of the coin just a bit to make it sit apart from the banner of the troll card. The coin itself is easy enough to read but it looks just a tad different than the coin on the fine armor card simply because of the boarder. Again though I think you have a winner here and I can't wait to give it a shot.

You are correct, the two numbers, and their corresponding circles, are identical in format. I pulled the one upon the Fine Armour (Traitor Special Ability) card directly from the Troll (Foe) card. Therefore I believe that it is indeed the differing background between the two cards which is perhaps confusing you. However, I am hesitant to alter the boarder colour of one and not the other as this may in turn confuse people "why are they different?" Thus I feel this is an instance where consistency must win out over aesthetics.

I will say that during play tests I've found that the link between them makes far more sense than it probably does when viewing the image "cold". I have kept note of this issue however and will review it further at a later time if it begins to pose more of an issue.

Thanks once again for your help and advice! They really are appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
Cogentesque wrote:
Heya Ian,

Looks really lovely! The card layout and design is really top quality: very professional looking :)

my only point would be: the temp-illustration you put into the cards are nice and suit the part. When you get this done prpoerly it may well be a bit of a wastee to have a lovely created illustration and then make it really tiny and lose lots of detail?

But whatever you do, looks really nice, I really like the "front of the book" card that you have thee as well: will that be a card backing?

ace.

sam

Hiya Sam!

Thanks so much for your kind words about my work!

While the illustrations themselves may not be printed as large as cards within some other games, I am quite confident that they will hold enough detail to shine through. Also I really want the bond between both illustration and graphic design to be very strong. I often find that some games create a heavy sense of disconnect between the two elements which, for me, breaks the theme.

For me the whole card is a large "illustration" and I want people to find beauty in the little details (such as the ripped ribbons, quills, blood splatters and more) that populate the entire card, not just the main illustration.

Thank you so much for your thoughts though, it was also something on my mind at a time and while I’m happy with the balance I have now this may ultimately be something I change in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the bits guy
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Looks better already, would just check that it prints bright enough, some blues on home printers print out very dark...

Kanachi wrote:

I took your advice and tried to apply more texture to the card back. See what you think...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
matildadad wrote:

Looks better already, would just check that it prints bright enough, some blues on home printers print out very dark...

Agreed, I have a pretty reliable printer though. Plus this design is ultimately destined for a professional printer who (with some edits on my side) should capture the colours correctly... Though admittedly printers can be problematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
Also my plan is to somewhat maintain this format for all the card backs, by having each type of card represented by a different coloured book cover. Do you think that I should simply change the colour and title of these books or should i make each book cover entirely unique?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ian, for the other cards the color and font, and perhaps just a slight variation of the trim that you have, perhaps even the bindings you can do single rings etc.... just very minimal. I think that will maintain the consistency and feel between the decks but have enough variation to feel like the decks are separate.

Looking good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
Warbringerd wrote:
Hey Ian, for the other cards the color and font, and perhaps just a slight variation of the trim that you have, perhaps even the bindings you can do single rings etc.... just very minimal. I think that will maintain the consistency and feel between the decks but have enough variation to feel like the decks are separate.

Looking good.

Hiya damian!

Thanks so much for your comments and ideas. I have tried out a second card back (this ones for the Foe deck). Is this the kind of thing you were thinking of?

Thanks once again!

- Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian that is awesome, exactly what I had in mind! has the same flair, looks very different and still holds the overall feel that it belongs. Way to hit it on the nose!! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
Warbringerd wrote:
Ian that is awesome, exactly what I had in mind! has the same flair, looks very different and still holds the overall feel that it belongs. Way to hit it on the nose!! :laugh:

Hiya damian,

Thanks so much! I'm really pleased you like it, I was pleased with the way it turned out as well. Now i've just got to do the same for the other decks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
Hiya everyone,

I've added a 3rd card back for the event cards. Have a look and see what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the bits guy
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. Looks good. You definitely have a knack at keeping your design within the realm of the original yet still quite different. Just watch that you don't have too much flair around the text, its getting a touch hard to read on this new card. You might want to either reduce the flourettes in number or size to not fight with the font.

Other than that its looking great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
Warbringerd wrote:
Very cool. Looks good. You definitely have a knack at keeping your design within the realm of the original yet still quite different. Just watch that you don't have too much flair around the text, its getting a touch hard to read on this new card. You might want to either reduce the flourettes in number or size to not fight with the font.

Other than that its looking great.

Hiya damian,

I think you are right, i will try to reduce some of the details around the text. I think the spider like gem thing above at the top of the shield will probably go and i will instead place a gem upon the centre of the right hand side of the frame.

Thanks for you comments and i'm really pleased you like what i've done so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
I've now edited the Event card's back image to be slightly less busy and i believe this helps bring it more in line with the other two card backs.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pittock
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
I've been working on the card backs for the item cards. I wanted to keep the same "book" style of card back but figured that a grand tome was not fitting. I came up with this:

Its for use with this type of card:

Do you think its a good idea? Or should I do another card back in the same style as the others? Or should i do something totally different?

Thanks for any help you can give me on this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ian, the work on the back looks good but I'm not feeling it as a part of the whole. Its doesn't seem to fit. Which is to bad because it looks like you've put in a good bit of wok on it.

One thought would be what about having the backs look like pages torn from the books or something, or you may want to just keep the same style as the other decks to hold over continuity. looking good though, keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.