Subject: Family-friendly co-op games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Chalupka
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm looking for a family-friendly co-op game, one that plays well with younger kids (8-10 years). We own Pandemic, but its mostly my wife and I that play - the kids have tried it, but it hasn't really grabbed them.

I'm considering Forbidden Island (will it be more of the same?) or Castle Panic. Between those two, which would you recommend for a family game?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island is VERY similar to Pandemic.

Castle Panic is much simpler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
While Forbidden Island is basically just a simpler version of Pandemic, it also feels completely different. FB has been a big hit with kids both IME and as stated by others here on BGG. Kids like it more because of its theme and it's just more accessible than Pandemic.

Just acquired Castle Panic and haven't played yet. Based on reviews I've read it seems like CP would only be recommended if you're looking for an even more simplistic game. It's also been noted that CP appeals to boys. FB might be better if you have girls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sabrina K
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids really like Flash Point: Fire Rescue. We play the family rules, and my kids 6-14 are quite able to play. I don't think it's easier than Pandemic, but the theme and clear game play make this much more family appropriate than Pandemic.

We do have Forbidden Island, and the kids do like it a lot as well. It's actually fairly tense game play for them. We don't own CP, mostly because I don't think we need an easier game than FI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jadelily wrote:
My kids really like Flash Point: Fire Rescue. We play the family rules, and my kids 6-14 are quite able to play. I don't think it's easier than Pandemic, but the theme and clear game play make this much more family appropriate than Pandemic.

This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both Castle Panic and Forbidden Island and play with my 8 year old daughter.

Of the two, I prefer Forbidden Island. The moves in Castle Panic are usually obvious and the interaction is mainly about swapping one card between players.

Although Forbidden Island is similar in mechanics to Pandemic, it has a different feel. The game is visually appealing and has some cool bits. There is more player interaction than Castle Panic (you do this, and I'll do that, let's go here and swap a card, etc), and it has the appropriate theme and complexity for a family game. As an added bonus, $15 is a great price and it comes in a tin container.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Gillespie

Sarles
North Dakota
msg tools
Break the Safe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Break the Safe - This is the most popular game in my collection, and though OOP it's still easy to obtain an excellent copy on ebay for a very good price .. Fun for adults & kids alike!

+1 Forbidden Island is a great game for kids (boys & girls) and an OK play for adults .. What I like about this one is that a 'leader' doesn't tend to emerge as it often does when playing co-ops .. There's a multitude of ways to deal with situations, more risk-taking if you will, and it's easy to increase the difficulty factor (huge plus after multiple plays) ..

Castle Panic is a great game but I personally don't like it for more than two because as has been mentioned above, it's really obvious what needs to be done .. There's also no way to increase difficulty .. A fun little solo - 2player though ..

To further what I've said above, I actually have more play-time/kids reations details on these three in a geeklist I wrote the other day, if you care to read: Backpacks and Boardgames - What I Took on 2011 School Camp

And one more consideration to add is Ablaze! - three games in one box and great feedback/ratings here on the geek .. Sorry I can't comment more on this because though I own it we haven't busted it out yet meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tankgrlnz wrote:
And one more consideration to add is Ablaze! - three games in one box and great feedback/ratings here on the geek .. Sorry I can't comment more on this because though I own it we haven't busted it out yet meeple

Ablaze is interesting because all three games in the box can be played solo, competitively, or cooperatively. It's neat that you can play 3 fairly different games with the same set of components.

It wasn't great for us because it plays more like an abstract puzzle-like game. We like some solid theme with more involved gameplay. But it's definitely a good game for what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

My boys were done with Castle Panic in minutes. It didn't last until 2pm Christmas day.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
achalupka wrote:
Hello,

I'm looking for a family-friendly co-op game, one that plays well with younger kids (8-10 years). We own Pandemic, but its mostly my wife and I that play - the kids have tried it, but it hasn't really grabbed them.

I'm considering Forbidden Island (will it be more of the same?) or Castle Panic. Between those two, which would you recommend for a family game?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

When my kids were 7 and 9 (now 8 and 10) they LOVED Ghost Stories and really liked Castle Panic. They were lukewarm toward Forbidden Island mainly because there are no monsters in it. Since Pandemic doesn't have monsters either, I've avoided buying it knowing that it wouldn't fly with them. They would probably love Defenders of the Realm if I had it.

So if you kids love monsters and fantasy (what kids don't these days?), just make sure the game comes with a cool theme and watch them have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
http://familypastimes.com/ Canada K7H 3C6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sabrina K
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nello wrote:

Family Pastimes make some great co-ops for younger kids, especially Max. I've not played any of their games for older kids or adults. I'd probably consider trying some of their other games, if every game didn't look like it was made in 1962 (the artwork is worse than the component quality, which is pretty low.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point: Fire Rescue is an excellent family coop game.

Of the 2 that you mentioned originally, I would pick Forbidden Island. Castle Panic can be very fun, but it is VERY RANDOM.

Mark
365ZED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.