Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

World at War: Eisenbach Gap» Forums » General

Subject: Which One? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Bloom
United States
Haughton
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the Blood and Bridges version at BGGCON 2011 for the first time and loved the game play. As an old school wargamer, I grew up on Panzer Leader, North Afrika and Richthofen's War.

My question, if I were to start the World at War series, which one should I start with? the Blood and Bridges, Eisenbach Gap, etc.

Cheers,
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Reading
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eisenbach Gap!!!!!!

By far start with this. BnB is a gorgeous game but I think EG is the place to start.

Welcome to the community!!!!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They are all good, but, some things to consider:

EG is the least expensive. It has the Americans. It begins at the beginning of the WW3 timeline (for what that's worth).

BnB is more expensive, but, I think it's an overall better value. Only drawback, is it's not the "American" game. If you are an American, you know that if you buy BnB, you will end up buying EG, anyway.

An alternative is The Untold Stories. It's newer, and it's rules are state-of-the art. Lot's of content, lots of eclectic units, lot's of variety, great value. And, the forthcoming Into the Breach (mostly Americans) is an expansion of TUS.

But, if I had to choose, I'd choose BnB.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EG may well be cheapest, but it certainly has the least content. Not many units, not many scenarios. The rules are still good, and you get a good game, but just not a lot of it... There's a lot of thin air in that box.

BnB or US are more expensive, but give a lot more content, and a lot more game. I'd go for BnB too.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
Washington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I would go with The Untold Stories. It comes with almost 500 counters, 3 geomorphic mapboards and a dozen scenarios. It is also required in order to get Paris is Burning, and the upcoming Into the Breach both of which add more geomorphic boards. Failing that, get Eisenbach Gap cheap somewhere second hand. (it's currently out of print).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the whole series, but if I had to choose which one to buy first all over again it would be Blood and Bridges. Untold stories though, as already stated, has the most up to date rules and I use them to play all the games. My only wish would be for them to come out with an official series rules, with special rules only for the whatever game.

Cheers
Kevin
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bloom
United States
Haughton
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your help...after playing BnB, I loved it! But I like variety and being able to play a lot of different scenarios.

True, as an American, I like playing them, but the Sweds look interesting...The person who taught me the game had an expansion that had the Israelis & Syrians...what version is that?

Anyway, when the deal is done, I'll post what version I ended up with.

Again, many thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
freebird52 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your help...after playing BnB, I loved it! But I like variety and being able to play a lot of different scenarios.

True, as an American, I like playing them, but the Sweds look interesting...The person who taught me the game had an expansion that had the Israelis & Syrians...what version is that?

Anyway, when the deal is done, I'll post what version I ended up with.

Again, many thanks!


Andrew while I like Operation Garbo. Its a stand alone and the only one that not many people write extra scenarios for.
The LOF magazine typically has a bunch of scenarios for WaW, that is where some of the Cuban/Sth African/Syrian stuff comes from.
If I had to buy just one and wanted to get other new modules or additional modules later I would do this:
TUS
PiB
ITB
BnB
then
EB.
Op Garbo last.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
freebird52 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your help...after playing BnB, I loved it! But I like variety and being able to play a lot of different scenarios.

True, as an American, I like playing them, but the Sweds look interesting...The person who taught me the game had an expansion that had the Israelis & Syrians...what version is that?

Anyway, when the deal is done, I'll post what version I ended up with.

Again, many thanks!


The Swedes are in Operation Garbo, an expansion, not a stand alone game. Needs the basic rulebook, and admin counters, etc. Very quirky module, but I like it.

The Israelis and Syrians come from a scenario included in Lien of Fire, LnLP a in house magazine. It is sold both as a hard copy and as a download. You can see whats in previous editions on the LNLP website. There is also the WaW Compendium which combined scenarios from the first 7 or 8 LOF mags, ans was available in printed and download. It has the Israeli's and Syrian scenario, too.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with Untold Stories and didn't regret it!

I picked up EG later, and while I enjoyed the escenarios and plenty of Americans, the single map is a bummer.

And yes, WaW is certainly the spiritual sucessor to Panzer Blitz/Leader!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bloom
United States
Haughton
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Once more thanks everyone for your input...as a mentioned, I would post which one I went with...

"The Untold Stories" was my final selection...eventually, I will go back and get the EG, BnB, Compendium as well as Operation Garbo...

Cheers,
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
freebird52 wrote:

"The Untold Stories" was my final selection...


Congrats! Welcome to some awesome gaming!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Martz
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've been working through untold stories with my regular opponent and we have been really enjoying it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Keyser
Sweden
Malmo
Skane
flag msg tools
I got into the game with the Untold Stories; however, the Compendium is a fantastic value. However, you need EG and Blood and Bridges, and Death of 1st Panzer. So most of this interlocking. Kind of interesting but kind of expensive.

Now I really like the game the chit pull system is what in my mind makes the game really work, the combat resolution is ok kind of simple but works. Each game is not great value, although Blood and Bridges and the Untold Stories are probably the best value. The counters from the different games are different some very Glossy, some thin some matt so quality control is lacking. This does detract from the game.

Now having said all that, I have picked up from ebay EG, Death of 1st Panzer, Blood and Bridges, The untold stories, the compendium and a couple of the newer Lock and Load (not very good value unless you are playing other of the Lock and Load game, and even less value for the World at War game in the newer ones). With these and the free modules from this site (the Chinese, Sky and Sea, etc) I have over 100 Scenarios ranging from quick little one map games to big games on the big blood and Bridges map.

So do some research and see what you want as the key to this game for me is all the scenarios, if I was to look at the value per stand alone game I would have not purchased the games that I did, however, due to all the scenarios it works for me. I just wish that Quality control would have been a little consistent through out the series. Oh well still a game that I have been playing a lot in the last 4 months.
William
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
wkeyser wrote:
I got into the game with the Untold Stories; however, the Compendium is a fantastic value. However, you need EG and Blood and Bridges, and Death of 1st Panzer. So most of this interlocking. Kind of interesting but kind of expensive.

Now I really like the game the chit pull system is what in my mind makes the game really work, the combat resolution is ok kind of simple but works. Each game is not great value, although Blood and Bridges and the Untold Stories are probably the best value. The counters from the different games are different some very Glossy, some thin some matt so quality control is lacking. This does detract from the game.

Now having said all that, I have picked up from ebay EG, Death of 1st Panzer, Blood and Bridges, The untold stories, the compendium and a couple of the newer Lock and Load (not very good value unless you are playing other of the Lock and Load game, and even less value for the World at War game in the newer ones). With these and the free modules from this site (the Chinese, Sky and Sea, etc) I have over 100 Scenarios ranging from quick little one map games to big games on the big blood and Bridges map.

So do some research and see what you want as the key to this game for me is all the scenarios, if I was to look at the value per stand alone game I would have not purchased the games that I did, however, due to all the scenarios it works for me. I just wish that Quality control would have been a little consistent through out the series. Oh well still a game that I have been playing a lot in the last 4 months.
William


You keep going on about value?
because of what? I understand VALUE is a subjective word.....but really.
Each modules scenarios never play the same twice due to chit pulls and die rolls. SOme are baked towards a side, but we modify the VC's a bit for those....
Plus you have oodles of extra free scenarios in Line of Fire magazine.
In the files section go look up all the scenarios. I think there are nearly 80? Maybe 60?
HotG (LNL is huge value. Especially with the upcoming expansion. I still have not played all the scenarios and I have clocked 8 plays in - one scenario 3 times.!!!!

As for quality control - sure they had some stumbles, but Mr. Walker has always made legitimate gripes right. As a family business I think he does a great job of servicing his clients.
- AS for the OP- GREAT choice. HAVE FUN.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
Plus you have oodles of extra free scenarios in Line of Fire magazine.
You get free copies? I had to pay for my magazines...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was fortunate enough to get World at War: Eisenbach Gap, World at War: Death of the 1st Panzer, and World at War: Blood and Bridges all at the same time (along with Flintlock: Black Powder, Cold Steel - Volume I: Carolina Rebels) for the cost of one of the games new on eBay. All I need now is the time to play them...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bloom
United States
Haughton
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Kev was refering to free scenarios inside the magazine...

Wulf Corbett wrote:
hipshot wrote:
Plus you have oodles of extra free scenarios in Line of Fire magazine.
You get free copies? I had to pay for my magazines...


I've played the first two scenarios in TUS and loved it! Even the other wargamer, who is an old AH fan too, loved it becuase of the modern tail it spins.

Cheers,
Andy
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
freebird52 wrote:
I think that Kev was refering to free scenarios inside the magazine...
In what way are some pages of a magazine free and other pages included in the price?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
freebird52 wrote:
I think that Kev was refering to free scenarios inside the magazine...
In what way are some pages of a magazine free and other pages included in the price?


I love getting free stuff when I buy my gaming magazineswhistle

The other
Kev
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! I got free Corn Flakes in this Corn Flakes box!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Hey! I got free Corn Flakes in this Corn Flakes box!


Too bad I don't like Corn Flakes, or I'd love to get free onesninja
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zhodanicommando wrote:
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Hey! I got free Corn Flakes in this Corn Flakes box!


Too bad I don't like Corn Flakes, or I'd love to get free onesninja


I miss getting the free toy in my Corn Flakes, I wonder why they stopped doing that.







2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG! Was I on that train? That does not look like funlaugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, real Blood and Bridges.

Hey, I know it's off topic, but if I already like that game, what's the best one in the series to get next.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.