GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,406 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Fields of Fire» Forums » Rules

Subject: new player question: various rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francesca Campofredano
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
more play more questions....

1) Activity Levels

in my game a sniper after being spotted during retreated out of the map. I ended up with a map with no enemy and with my VOF in a now empty card. I am not sure which is the correct activity level: there is a VOF but in an empty card so that, as per the written rules neither "no contact" (there is a VOF) nor "contact" (but it is in empty card) seems to apply...

2) Rally Actions and number of draw

Attempts for converting litter team to fire team, paralized to litter have a number of draw (2) affected by the recipient experience level. But since paralized and litter teams are green is the number of draws just one or am I missing something?

3) Using the jeep to recover casualties...

vehicles can be activated just one per turn. I have the XO in the jeep and I figure out I need at least 3 turns to recover a casualty: 1st turn move; 2nd turn give a transport command to pick the casualty; 3rd turn move back and unload the vehicle in the recovery area. Am I right?

anyway big fun...

thanks in advance

Francesco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The sniper is gone but your guys on the ground don't know that yet so they are still firing and thus acting as though they have contact. So you keep contact until you can cease fire.

2) This one is a messy answer. Using the 4.2.3 Rally actions table, here are my notes on who's experience you use to determine who affects the number of draw cards.

a. is driven by the experience level of the recipient.
b. c. d. f. and i. are driven by the experience level of the originator
e. g. h. and j. are automatic (as is already noted in the table)

3) No, you can pick up the casualty as a transport action during the command phase and still have the vehicle move during the vehicle phase. See 7.4.1 Embarking in The V2 rule book.

I hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure if you are correct here, Ron:

1.) I have read somewhere that contact level goes back to No Contact as soon as there is no enemy unit on the map. I don't remember if it was a quoted Consimworld thread, if it was from the designer team or just a variant by some user. However, since a high contact level is advantageous, it should only be caused by actual enemy units. I think the intent is to represent the fact that the enemy has limited resources, and if someone is already shooting at you, they will not have much more available.

2.)
Quote:
(+/-) means to modify the cards for Experience Level. Add one
card if the recipient is a Veteran unit or subtract one card if the
recipient is a Green unit. Note that you use the Experience Level
of the unit attempting the Action, not the Experience Level of the
HQ or Staff expending the command.

I cannot find any exceptions from this. A rally command has an originator and a recipient who is always green, and it is the recipient who determines the card draw. (This is why I don't bother much with rallying during missions, you need a lot of commands until your paralyzed teams can fight again).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesca Campofredano
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

thanks for the answers. Also made a search in the forum and find that it is exactly like you said:

1) it reverts to no contact;

2) one only draw...

3) I missed the 7.4.1...

hence I guess I "cheated" in my very first mission which I brilliantly finished...should I repeat it or can I just go on? ;-)

I had also big question regarding enemy placement on already occupied cards, but I found the answers in this forum. Very helpful...

last question: How do you guys remember which unit are green/line/veteran? now I have some veteran squads and I am inclined to use some other game counters to help "visualize" the experience level otherwise it is a mess...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not bother to repeat the mission. The game depends a lot on luck when drawing events and packages, so having played with a wrong contact level for some turns does not change the outcome more than an enemy fall back event... The next missions will be much more challenging anyway(larger map and later veteran Germans).

And yes, tracking XP status is a mess. But so is tracking assets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Holding
Australia
Berkeley
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
I have read somewhere that contact level goes back to No Contact as soon as there is no enemy unit on the map...since a high contact level is advantageous, it should only be caused by actual enemy units.

I also play it this way, otherwise a lone team can be left plinking away at an empty card for the whole mission and reduce the odds of contactninja.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaanDo wrote:
2) This one is a messy answer. Using the 4.2.3 Rally actions table, here are my notes on who's experience you use to determine who affects the number of draw cards.

a. is driven by the experience level of the recipient.
b. c. d. f. and i. are driven by the experience level of the originator
e. g. h. and j. are automatic (as is already noted in the table)

Where did you find this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have read somewhere that contact level goes back to No Contact as soon as there is no enemy unit on the map...since a high contact level is advantageous, it should only be caused by actual enemy units.

This is wrong. You will only return to No Contact when the requirements for No Contact are met. If your guys are still firing, then it is not possible to return to No Contact.

Quote:
This one is a messy answer.

Actually, the rules make it clear that the draw is ALWAYS modified by the experience of the unit taking the action:

4.2, 2nd bullet (top of page 16))
Remember, for any attempted Actions: the card draw is always modified by the experience of the unit that is attempting the Action, regardless who gave the order.

Hope this helps,
Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with either rule, but this obviously needs clarification.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/646728/reverting-to-no-conta...

abendoso wrote:
No, that is not the way it plays.

When there is no enemy unit alive there is "No Contact".

When there are enemy units alive, but they have not been spotted (and there is no VOF, PDF) it is also "No Contact".

No Contact does not mean that there has never been contact, but that at that exact moment in time, there are no units engaged or about to be engaged with Known Enemy Units.

I hope I have helped!

benhull wrote:
Antonio is correct.

Thanks
Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.