GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,084 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Couple of questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ren Thicya
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there!

I have a couple of questions, mostly about some cards of the first three Mirkwood expansion:

1. "The Old Ford" location card from the "The Hunt For Gollum" is a Riverland card. The shadow part of this card says:
"Discard from play all allies with a printed cost lower then the number of Riverland locations in play."

My question is: Do I need to count in this card as well for determining the number of Riverland locations in play? Or since this one is a shadow card, it shoudln't count?

2. If there's a location guarding an objective card, do we need to count its quest points like it was in the staging area, as a regular location?

3. When a location's guarding an objective card and I'm committing Northern Tracker to the quest (After Northern Tracker commits to a quest, place 1 progress token on each location in the staging area), can I place a progress token on the guarding location as well?

4. Winged Guardian (The Hunt For Gollum) says:
Quote:
"After an attack in which Winged Guardian defends resolves, pay 1 [tactics] resource or discard Winged Guardian from play."

I'm a little confusing over the "discard from play" part. Shall I place it into discard pile (since it says the word "discard", or shall I remove it from play?
The reason of my confusion is that if they wanted us to place it into discard pile, why wouldn't they write that instead of "discard from play?"

5. Winged Guardian again:
Quote:
"After an attack in which Winged Guardian defends resolves, pay 1 [tactics] resource or discard Winged Guardian from play."

Can I pay 1 resource even if the defense failed (creature would die) thereby resurrecting him, or I can pay only if the creature still lives after defending an attack?

Thank you all for your answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
1.No, you ignore everything that has nothing to do with the shadow effect
2.Yes, it still is a regular location.
3.Yes, same here
4.Discard pile. Probably just some language confusion?!?
5.No, dead allies cannot trigger any effects unless the card specifically says so.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 & 3. The location guarding the Clue behaves exactly like any other location, except is has a Clue card underneath. So if it is in the staging area and you use Northern Tracker to quest, you place a progress token on that location and other location cards in the staging area.
If you travel to this location, the card will become the active location and the Clue card remains underneath. So if you use Lorien Guide to quest, you place a progress token on that location card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
I think #1 is yes. Otherwise why would it bother to mention all Riverland locations in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
renthicya wrote:

4. Winged Guardian (The Hunt For Gollum) says:
Quote:

I'm a little confusing over the "discard from play" part. Shall I place it into discard pile (since it says the word "discard", or shall I remove it from play?
The reason of my confusion is that if they wanted us to place it into discard pile, why wouldn't they write that instead of "discard from play?"

If the Winged Guardian defends against an attacker that pulls Pursued by Shadow as its Shadow card (Shadow: Defending player chooses and returns 1 exhausted ally he controls to its owner's hand), the Winged Guardian could end up back in your hand before the attack resolves.

The Winged Guardian text is just restricted to discarding the Winged Guardian "from play." If it ends up somewhere other than "in play" by the time its Forced ability triggers, you do not have to pay. If "from play" were omitted, or if it just said "put Winged Guardian in your discard pile," then there would be a fuzzy space in the rules where we'd have to ask if its ability would snatch it out of your hand. Thanks to "in play," the card is more clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullroarer Took wrote:
I think #1 is yes. Otherwise why would it bother to mention all Riverland locations in play?

How else would you word this card? Keep in mind that when a card is revealed as a shadow card, all of its non-shadow text is inactive, including its Traits. This would mean that while it's a shadow card, it's not a Riverlands card (it's also not a location, which is another can of worms).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
Bullroarer Took wrote:

How else would you word this card? Keep in mind that when a card is revealed as a shadow card, all of its non-shadow text is inactive, including its Traits. This would mean that while it's a shadow card, it's not a Riverlands card (it's also not a location, which is another can of worms).

I'm not seeing the can. The Old Ford comes up as a Shadow card. You count the Riverland locations in the staging area (plus the active location if there is one). All allies with cost less than that number get killed.

Whether this card is a Riverland or a location or Sauron himself doesn't matter at this point; only the Shadow text matters.

Edit: clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren Thicya
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
forster925 wrote:
You count the Riverland locations in the staging area (including the active location if there is one).

Wouldn't this mean that during the quest phase, you should count in the quest points of the active location as well?
We've always played the game not counting the quest points of the active location during questing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
renthicya wrote:
forster925 wrote:
You count the Riverland locations in the staging area (including the active location if there is one).

Wouldn't this mean that during the quest phase, you should count in the quest points of the active location as well?
We've always played the game not counting the quest points of the active location during questing.

Nope. The active location is no longer in the Staging Area and so its points aren't counted against you, just like an engaged enemy is not counted against you. It is still in play, however, which is what the Old Ford is asking about.

Ah... I see. Let me edit my last post just slightly. should be "Locations in the staging area (plus the active Location)" not "including..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren Thicya
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that's better

Thank you all for the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.