Subject: question about legion pawn. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
paul Engle
United States
milford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Not sure if I am reading the rules right so I want to clarify.

If I roll a single 1, I can move the pawn but do I also place a warrior in a boat or do I need a double 1 to place a warrior in a boat as well.

not exactly sure the way I read the rules. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Vogel
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you roll "1" and another number, you have three choices.

A) Place a warrior cube on a road leading to a fort matching the non-"1" number you rolled as usual.

B) Move the legion pawn to a road matching the non-"1" number you rolled. The legion pawn knocks any player piece on that road off. If you move the legion in this way, then you may put one of your warrior cubes on a boat to reserve a die roll of the boat number for a later turn.

C) Pass

If you roll double "1"s, you have two choices.

A) Move the legion pawn to any road on the board. The legion pawn knocks any player piece on that road off. If you move the legion in this way, then you may put one of your warrior cubes on a boat to reserve a die roll of the boat number for a later turn.

B) Pass

Let me know if this doesn't answer all your questions. I hope you enjoy Cambria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Coleman
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erichv wrote:
If you roll "1" and another number, you have three choices.

B) Move the legion pawn to a road matching the non-"1" number you rolled. The legion pawn knocks any player piece on that road off. If you move the legion in this way, then you may put one of your warrior cubes on a boat to reserve a die roll of the boat number for a later turn.

This contradicts the rules I believe. In the rules (don't have it in front of me) the only time you can move a warrior pawn to a boat is when you roll double ones exclusively...I read this thread while playing because we had a quick question and right away this statement posted a red flag.

It was a fun game, played with 5 and everyone was interested in me bringing it to other game nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Vogel
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoyed the game. The second edition rules do not actually state that you only put a cube on a boat after rolling double 1's, but unfortunately the order in which they present the explanation of 1 rolls does tend to lead to that misinterpretation, so I understand why you say that. The second edition rules state:

"You may move the legion. If you move the legion, it must move onto a road connected to a fortress matching the other number that was
rolled. If an enemy warrior is on this road it is displaced.

If you roll [double 1s] , you must move the Legion Pawn. You may move it to any road on the board, displacing any warrior on that road.

After moving the legion, you may place a Warrior Marker on an open boat."

The first edition rules which I wrote explained this pretty clearly, but unfortunately the 2nd edtion was revised by a copy editor who confused several points. I've submitted an F.A.Q. that addresses all the questions which have come to my attention, and it should be up on BGG soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any actual rules changes 1st to 2nd ed? Could you put a copy of the 1st ed rules somewhere?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Vogel
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There were no INTENTIONAL changes to the 1st edition rules in the 2nd edition. There is one rule that was incorrectly stated differently in the 2nd edition. You can use the first edition rules (in English or in one of the translations) to play the second edition game just fine. The first edition rules are online on the Cambria page of BGG.

Cambria English Rules PDF

FYI - I have to admit that on closer inspection my original explanation of when to claim a boat isn't as big an improvement over the rewrite as I thought! But I think my arrangment of the information makes it a little clearer : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.