United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides documentaries, films my friends make and some indie cinema I only watch one or two movies a year. Usually there is one that the kids see and the one that draws me in. I am not a fan of novel to film adaptations or "based on" literature... I can only think of a few that I would recommend... like 2001, Tin Drum, The Shining, The Trial, original The Manchurian Candidate. Here is another... and I think it might be something that the geek crowd would like - I had a distaste originally because it seemed too Hollywood but it fits the story and many might think some sort of matrix ripoff but the book was published before that film was released. From one of my favorite authors Victor Pelevin - Generation Π (English translation book title was Homo Zapiens) One critic called it a Brazil-like film through the lens of post cold war Russia.

wikipedia wrote:
Pelevin presents rather far-fetched but not totally impossible vision of the world governed by virtual puppets created, upgraded and controlled by the media corporations. But not totally impossible should not be understood literally. Metaphorically media puppets shown in the novel may actually represent modern authorities whose success without exception depends on media, and how those media present them to people. The idea of this metaphor lies in the concept that when we see a politician or a public activist on the TV we see not a real person but rather an image created for the certain purpose whether to capture attention, rouse empathy or simply improve the rating of a political party or any other organization. Pelevin draws attention to the fact that the audience has no power to control media and the flow of information they deliver through press, television or the Internet.

I won't spoil the film... if you want to know more the link to wikipedia has a lot of info about the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
There were a lot of great ideas in the book, but it was so horribly translated into English that I can only imagine the movie must be better than what I read.

That said, I think the Homo Zapiens chapter is a must read for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched it again last night with my girl. She loved it... I must say, this was a fun movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.