GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,434 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Soviet Dawn» Forums » Variants

Subject: Decisive Political Outcomes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
When rolling on the Political Level Track and a natural six is rolled, the player achieves a Decisive Political Outcome, in addition to moving the Track one space to the right, he also receives a Political Decree chit, if one is available.

If a natural one is rolled, the player suffers a Decisive Political Setback and the chit on the Political Level Track is moved one space to the left! This setback can be mitigated by:

1) Removing a Political Decree chit from the Available Resources box and placing it in the Pieces Not in Play box.
2) Expending an action point, if the player has any more available that turn.

Now rolling on the Political Level Track entails risk. As it now stands, rolling on the Political Level Track is all reward with the only downside being the action points allocated. I'll want to playtest this some more. But, it could be useful tonic to the advocates of an early focus on Political Victory.

Edited 01/18/2012 to bold text for clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Playtesting shows this is working out very well on both the upside and the downside. Decisive Outcomes generate that extra Political Decree chit. It creates a nifty "Yes!" moment. When it fails with a Decisive Setback, it has the desired effect of crimping reckless rolling on the Political Track, which is the point. Indeed, on occasion, I have been tempted and burned to use my final action point to roll on the Political Track, the "ouch" effect is exactly what I'm looking for.

I also have a set of houserules whereby Political Decrees are Political Capital. This rule works well in this context, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delesdernier
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This one sounds interesting and would make a political victory much more difficult and probably even things out for those that feel that the political track makes the game a little too easy. One question: What happens if a political roll is the last action and there are no more political decree's left?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
mdelesd1 wrote:
What happens if a political roll is the last action and there are no more political decree's left?

I'm assuming you have just rolled a six and have achieved a Decisive Political Outcome. In this case, you get the Political Decree chit, if one is available. Since there are only two available, if you already have both, nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems a very good variant. I think I'll implement it next time I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.