Popular Tags: [View All]
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

My kids have been enjoying A&A minis and WWII history. I think they are ready to make the move to a real tactical level genuine wargame. Sadly, over the years my squad leader game has disappeared somehow so I'm looking to replace it so I can pass along the Grognards genes to my kids.

***** DONE ******

So I'm looking for someone in the lower 48 who would be interested in doing an even-up swap. Your good condition Squad Leader for your choice of Sealed
or sealed
or sealed
. I'd like to do this ASAP as I'll have free time over Christmas to play with the kids.

geekmail me if you are interested. Ill post back here when closed.

S FYI, I did try the BGG trade system, but no one had this particular trade combo.

***** DONE ******

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't get anyone in the US able to help, give me a shout. I believe I've got a spare copy round at my Dad's house. Obviously that's in the UK so shipping will be higher, and I doubt we'd get the swap done by Christmas, but the offer is there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you have other classics that might fit the bill such as Up Front and Panzer Leader. Would one of those work?

Squad Leader is good and all, it was my gateway game as a kid, but there are games I enjoy with the kids more than that one such as the ASL starter kits, Combat Commander: Europe, and Tide of Iron.

You have a nice collection.

Maus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Up Front is probably a similar complexity to Squad Leader. There's a ton of rules in each, but they're introduced in a programmed style. The problem would be getting hold of a copy at a low price - squad leader is much more readily available. Panzer Leader is a good game although some of the scenarios are apparently a little one-sided. I don't have enough play experience to say which ones. It does have US and Commonwealth units so is probably going to be of more interest than Panzerblitz which is Eastern Front. Also PL can usually be found on ebay at a good price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Badgeroonie wrote:
Up Front is probably a similar complexity to Squad Leader. There's a ton of rules in each, but they're introduced in a programmed style. The problem would be getting hold of a copy at a low price - squad leader is much more readily available. Panzer Leader is a good game although some of the scenarios are apparently a little one-sided. I don't have enough play experience to say which ones. It does have US and Commonwealth units so is probably going to be of more interest than Panzerblitz which is Eastern Front. Also PL can usually be found on ebay at a good price.

I picked Up Front and Panzer Leader because they are in his collection. I wish I had Up Front in my collection because you're correct, the price is way out there and there is no way I could get a copy at this point.

I haven't played Panzer Leader but I would suspect the weaker side would be played by the dad, just like I would do.

Maus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, obviously (as my wife often points out) I'm not lacking for wargames, but Squad Leader is the sentimental favorite - my first tactical level WWII wargame I played as a kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would almost be tempted to ship you my copy I bought in the 80s, but I'm using the boards for ASL and I have that sentimental thing going as well.

Have you looked into Valor and Victory, the print and play kind-of SL 'lite'?

Maus

Edit:

If you're itching for that SL feeling, pick up one of the ASL starter kits. I played the first scenario with my oldest (12) and he enjoyed it. You're still pushing cardboard around and they are producing additional expansions for it as well. It would then lead into full ASL in the future (which is my goal with my sons).

Maus (again)

Yet another Edit:

Not trying to push you away from finding SL, just trying to offer other options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughts. I ended up getting a copy off ebay. After a day it occured to me that the people monitoring the SL forum would be the people who liked and played SL - not the 128 geeks who had the game on their trade lists- Duh on my part!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrived today (4th ed. with the 1986 AH catalog, nice). The Guards will be counterattacking this weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.