Subject: Bender's OP? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TJ Tutt
United States
Duvall
Washington
flag msg tools
So, I hate to be the one to post an "overpowered" thread on a game I love dearly, but we've (me & 5 friends of mine) developed a strategy with The Benders that no one has been able to beat thus far.

That is abusing your summoner's ability.

In fact, people have gotten to abusing it so much, that with certain factions, they won't even summon a unit throughout the entire game.

The strategy is simple. Literally spend every card you have (save for maybe the occasional Mimic & Mind Control) on Magic. Then, let your Summoner kill essentially two common units or a common unit & champion every turn.

I know this strategy sounds naive, simple, & easily defeated, but we haven't found a way to do it yet, you can't swarm him fast enough with the Mind Controls & Mimics in his hand to prevent it, & you can't "outbrute" him with champions as he uses ALL his magic to simply discard your champion/commons, never getting touched, because of the range of his ability.

Has anyone faced this? Has anyone found counters? The 5 of us are stumped over here.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like the thing to do would be to force Tacullu to come a little closer to your walls in order to use the power. Then he's vulnerable to attacks, and he only has 5 life. If Tacullu won't come out to play, then just focus on killing the other Bender units and the Bender walls if needed. Force Tacullu to come out in the middle, closer to your walls, if he wants to counter-summon everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sounds like you're playing Tacullu wrong -- you can only unsummon one enemy unit per turn. (Note that when you use this ability, you discard the enemy unit -- not destroy, which would go to your magic pile.)

Also, I'm curious... when it says 3 straight clear lines, it really has to be straight. Meaning, if an enemy is one space over and one up, he can't use his ability on it. Is that how you are playing him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Bullock
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunderved or Grognack should handly this nicely with a punch to the face.

Selundar, too, actually.

And Swordsmen, Lioneers, and other pingers--as much as I don't use that strategy much, personally--would work if they were leaving that many attack lanes open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
JYoder wrote:

Sounds like you're playing Tacullu wrong -- you can only unsummon one enemy unit per turn. (Note that when you use this ability, you discard the enemy unit -- not destroy, which would go to your magic pile.)

Also, I'm curious... when it says 3 straight clear lines, it really has to be straight. Meaning, if an enemy is one space over and one up, he can't use his ability on it. Is that how you are playing him?

Like Jeremy, I also think you are playing him wrong TJ, could you please confirm?

I've never had trouble dealing with benders, and when I get to use them, I have to be very careful with Tacullu's ability, because you have to be 3 spaces away to use it, which is enough distance for a few ranged units to finish off Tacullu in just one turn (only 5 health!). surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KevOne
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe TJ is playing wrong, what he describe is legitimate.

Tacullu can indeed attack and kill off a Common, then use his Unsummoning to get rid of another common or champion.

However, if your play group is having this much problem dealing with Tacullu, than I feel your enemies just ain't that good at "baiting". A large part of Summoner Wars's tactic. It is so very easy to lure Tacullu out in the open by tempting/forcing him to unsummon, than punish him for it. Wash, Raise then repeat.

All in all, Tacullu and his bender minion will seem OP at first, but once your enemies learn a few crucial trick, Bender will just seem like average. Tacullu really need high level mind game to win almost every game afterward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KevOne
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My bad on double post (on mobile device)

If Tacullu have tons and tons of magic in ready for Unsummoning, than there is yet another mistake your enemies are making... They need to summon something with a bit of threat in order to force Tacullu to spend his magic, preferably force him to summon Controller.

Once Tacullu have trouble reserving magic, he will not be able to unsummon that easily. Those 1 cost 2 power common is very good against Bender because it's cheap on my end but it forces Tacullu to spend some good magic in order to get rid of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno monteiro
Portugal
lisboa
lisboa - portugal
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One way to counter that is to "train" some units (not as in training, as in locomotive and wagons). one creature up front to be unsummoned or killed...and the rest to kill summoner, start the train 3 spaces away, move, 1st creature hits summoner, gets killed (or not if it has 3 hps), 2nd creature unsummed (if first is killed), 3rd creature hits summoner, etc - remember Tacullu low life. If Tacullu can´t kill the locomotive in one turn then is game over (he has to unsummom, making it easy to be surronded next turn)

if you are using your magic to unsummon units, you will not have many magic to place your own units. So, before mid game, you will have no walls and no board control.

as others have pointed out there are also a lot of ways to deal with Tacullu
DD - gem mages (hit and run)
SC - shamans (hit and run) / sandstorm
MV - get close and smash him (brute as the locomotive - 3 hps, and knock- move Tacullu closer to Sundever and kill him faster)
SE - Swordsmen (& scouts) - move them all close to Tacullu asap, they will killed/unsummomed, but each will attach him with 2 dices, giving the benders 2/3 turns to live
TO - Vine walls and savagers..summon them close to Tacullu, so you can land one attack before being unsommoned - 3 hits, do it twice, Good game!

BM
PS - I have yet to win a game with the benders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem with the Benders is not tacullu, but the deceiver/waiting strategy. They have 7 deceivers. This means that they can easily keep blocking your troops (often moving them between your troops with a controller, blocking two of them at a time). In this way, you can only kill your own troops and until you are able to summon a champion you really struggle (also because deceiver are so cheap that they can keep coming out). And while you wait to summon champions, if you do spawn some other commons, the Benders will steal your magic or even your troops. Add to that Gulldune (that costs five and can immediatly shot something, kill it and use it to attack again) and that makes for a very strong faction, if played cautiosly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm disappointed, there still hasn't been any complain about Sorgwen?
About Tacullu, he losses almost every Summoner vs Summoner fight so if you reach endgame without magic disadvantage (for every Champion he unsummons, it's a champion of his own he doesn't summon) you should get ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno monteiro
Portugal
lisboa
lisboa - portugal
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Sorgwen is a good champ but i would rather summon Gulldune. - far more usefull in my playstyle. (but i might be wrong as i have always lost when playing the benders).

BM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KevOne
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PePe QuiCoSE wrote:

Sorgie is actually why Bender is dangerous. Since TJ didn't mention her and just talking about Tacullu, I didn't want to mention her pwnage power.

Once again proven enemies need to force Tacullu to spend magic, otherwise once Sorgie comes down on the battlefield, it's game over almost every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TJ are you guys using unsummon more than once per turn, someone else asked this as well, your answer would help us help you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ Tutt
United States
Duvall
Washington
flag msg tools
Alright, mega fail on our part...

We were not playing it once per turn & were not using it in straight line spaces, we were using it within three spaces...

The strategy was beatable (though still remained viable with proper play) once we resolved those issues, thanks for the clarifications on the dumb reading by our part guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KevOne
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wraith wrote:

We were not playing it once per turn & were not using it in straight line spaces, we were using it within three spaces...

Okay... now that's super broken rofl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua C
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PePe QuiCoSE wrote:
About Tacullu, he losses almost every Summoner vs Summoner fight so if you reach endgame without magic disadvantage (for every Champion he unsummons, it's a champion of his own he doesn't summon) you should get ahead.

False. Tacullu has magic advantage for unsummoning. It costs you 5 to summon a champion. It costs 5 to unsummon him. However, by doing so you also lost the champion card itself, so in reality it cost you 6 vs my 5 (because that card could've been built)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clembo2021 wrote:
False. Tacullu has magic advantage for unsummoning. It costs you 5 to summon a champion. It costs 5 to unsummon him. However, by doing so you also lost the champion card itself, so in reality it cost you 6 vs my 5 (because that card could've been built)
Where did I say that Counter-Summon doesn't give card advantage? Even if after 3 Counter-Summon champions, the BD only has gained 3 cards and spent somewhere along 15-20 magic, barely much magic to reliably summon a champion, even considering you will get hit by Magic Drain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm not left-handed either
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the person who Summons a Unit nearly always loses in terms of card advantage. The fact that Tacullu only comes up one ahead is in fact a substantial loss for the Benders.

Look at it this way. Two Goblin Fighters flanking an enemy champion using Goblin Rage and Goblin Horde Attack can generate 8 attack dice in a turn, resulting in about five Wounds. That's enough to kill most Champions costing five Magic or less in one turn.

In order to set that up, the Goblin player has spent four cards, none of which cost Magic, but all of which could have been built as Magic instead, for a total card cost of 4. His opponent has spent 5 Magic and decided not to build one card, for a total card cost of 6. Furthermore, the Goblin player now has one Magic, which he got from killing the champ, and he still has those two Fighters on the field, giving him a total card advantage of 3, possibly going down to 1 as his opponent kills those two Fighters, but also potentially going up even further if either of the Fighters survive long enough to kill some other Units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.