Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Filip Van Boxelaer
Belgium
Nieuwkerken-waas
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

We played our first 2-player game last night and it was fun !!

A few questions came up during play:

* 2.5.5.2 (second part, p.12): "If there is no city defender inside the tower, the invader can smash the gate simply by expending one MP during movement."

since there are gates in walls too, I assume "inside the tower", must be more generally reworded to "on the other side of the gate". Correct ?

* 2.10.5.4 (Hero support vs. Monsters): is the +1 to the attack die roll also applicable on ranged combat against monsters ? In that case, a monster adjacent to an archer (supported by a hero) is hit on 4+. Correct ?

* Melee attacks against monsters/dragons ==> Just for confirmation: units cannot combine combat strength to attack monsters ? For example: Two cav units adjacent to a Giant cannot roll once against the monster with a total combat strength of 6. There is no combined combat possible against monsters. Correct ?

* Ranged (archery) fire against minor monsters: a hit always results in 1 damage point. Correct ?

Great game !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hanuise
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Filbox wrote:

We played our first 2-player game last night and it was fun !!

A few questions came up during play:

* 2.5.5.2 (second part, p.12): "If there is no city defender inside the tower, the invader can smash the gate simply by expending one MP during movement."

since there are gates in walls too, I assume "inside the tower", must be more generally rewo
rded to "on the other side of the gate". Correct ?
-- correct

* 2.10.5.4 (Hero support vs. Monsters): is the +1 to the attack die roll also applicable on ranged combat against monsters ? In that case, a monster adjacent to an archer (supported by a hero) is hit on 4+. Correct ?
-- no it only apply for regular (melee) combat

* Melee attacks against monsters/dragons ==> Just for confirmation: units cannot combine combat strength to attack monsters ? For example: Two cav units adjacent to a Giant [b
]cannot [/b] roll once against the monster with a total combat strength of 6. There is no combined combat possible against monsters. Correct ?
They can combine attacks on a single roll. however you get lesser odds of doing more damage so its à better strategy to roll for each unit.

* Ranged (archery) fire against minor monsters: a hit always results in 1 damage point. Correct ?
Damage is the firing unit's strength. Could be more than 1 with other units than archers.

Great game !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Van Boxelaer
Belgium
Nieuwkerken-waas
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ehanuise wrote:

-- no it only apply for regular (melee) combat

2.10.5.4: when any unit is attacking a dragon, or other monster, major or minor, add one (+1) to the die roll of all attacks if the hero is next
to or stacked with the unit.

Eric, please notice that separately resolved archery attacks do not seem to be excluded. If however this was the intent, an addition/clarification is needed.

ehanuise wrote:

* Melee attacks against monsters/dragons ==> Just for confirmation: units cannot combine combat strength to attack monsters ? For example: Two cav units adjacent to a Giant cannot roll once against the monster with a total combat strength of 6. There is no combined combat possible against monsters. Correct ?

-- They can combine attacks on a single roll. however you get lesser odds of doing more damage so its à better strategy to roll for each unit.

But how then would you resolve a combined attack on a single die roll in the instance a cavalry unit, supported by a hero are combining to attack a giant or other minor monster ? What is the die roll result needed to hit ?

ehanuise wrote:

Damage is the firing unit's strength.

-- Could be more than 1 with other units than archers.

I agree damage against standard units = the firing unit's strength.

However, I'm talking about archery fire against Dragons and Monsters (2.7.6.3):

"If a non-flying dragon is hit by missiles, it normally will suffer one damage point in the wings, legs, or head (area selected by the firer). If the Dragon is flying when hit, it automatically takes two damage points in the belly. On other Monsters, missile fire is resolved using exactly the same procedure and result. This includes any firing on minor monsters such as Giants : 5+ on a non-flying monster in an adjacent Hex, 6+ otherwise."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hanuise
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
To hit giant 6+, minor monster 5+. Single roll.

Ranged damage on dragon is à unit specific rule, overriding normal ranged damage rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hanuise
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Filbox wrote:

I'm impressed by the quality of the game components, and I'm impressed by the game itself. But allow me to say I am deeply disappointed by the lack of attention you give to the support of this game.

I paid for the game, so please answer my questions in a serious way.

Thanks, Filip

Are you kidding me ?
Maybe this isn't a game for you, you know. Think about it.
Attention to details is indeed important, but come on! re-read what you just wrote, and think about it.

Support is done whenever I find some time to do it. And most of your questions were replied in a very short time even though this is a one-man small company, and I have a real job on the side.
If the level of support provided isn't good enough, then sorry but that's all you'll get.

This is an old rules set, which has been completely rewritten to close as many such loopholes as we could find. Some grey areas may remain. get over it and agree on a house rule with your gaming partner. As stated somewhere at the beginning of the rules, what's important is game pace and fun. Not pulling hairs over hypothetical conditions that might happen someday. Gee...shake

Now to answer your melee/hero/giant question it's 6+ because it's a giant, with a +1 on the die roll because the hero is in the group so 5+. But only if all units attacking beneefit from the hero's bonus (or at least half the units, i'm typing this on my cellphone and don't have the rules handy. Check it out in the hero rules.)

And damage from archery fire unless otherwise specified in the unit's rules is the strength of the attacker (1 for archers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for supporting this game so well by answering questions quickly and clearly. Not a lot of publishers do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.