Popular Tags: [View All]
Benny Sperling
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
On this occasion of game night, I had the opportunity to play The Road to Canterbury with two players who had never played, Grady and Joseph. I discussed the strategy with them, noting that it has elements of area control. They seemed ready to go after a quick explanation.

This marked my 3rd play of Canterbury and the only time of the 3 plays that I really grokked the whole game. For what it is, there is quite a bit of strategy in Canterbury, but it is more of a subtle strategy. Players have to be mindful when the Pilgrims start to get close to that 7th sin.

The 7th sin came too often and too unexpectedly in our game, though. I managed to pick up 2 last rights and Grady picked up 1. The other 2 Pilgrims were dispatched unexpectedly with Death cards. Joseph and Grady both played very well. There were several turns when they would pardon 3 or more sins for the Pilgrims, before lining their money purses with more cold hard cash.

Grady used Relic cards to his advantage, moving sins and generally causing havoc. Joseph did a fine job of playing sins then following up in short order with a pardon.

At the end of the game, I ended up tallying wins on all of the company cards and pulling out my first win with 116, Grady was second with 81 and Joseph finished third with 63. They both seemed to enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.