Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you try to advance the relief column if there isn´t a chinese blockading force? yes/Not

Why some of the cards indicate (for example card 2) a -1DRM to Relief column Attack die roll for the turn but they don´t include a chinese blockading force?

I´m in my second gameplay and I´m comfussed about Relief Column/ Blockading force attacks and advances....

Please, I need some help about my questions and an overall explanation.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Welch
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Marc - thanks for writing. This should help, there is a Chinese Blocking Force each turn. It's part of the sequence of play - at the beginning of each Event Card, you randomly draw a Blocking Force counter from a cup. The counters in the cup will change over the course of the decks as you add new counters and remove older ones (just so you know, they get stronger as you move through the decks) but you'll never know the exact strength of the force until you draw it. Therefore, there is always a Chinese Blocking Force each turn.

The Blocking Force only attacks the Relief Column when it states it on the Event Card - otherwise, you have the option to attack the Blocking Force and then attempt to advance. Early on you'll spend most of your Command Points to improve the Combat Power and Speed of your Relief Column. Deciding when to attack and attempt to advance is one of the challenging dynamics in the game...that's designer code for this mechanic will make the player crazy :-)

I hope that answers your questions, if not, just let me know and thanks again for posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
professorwelch wrote:
Hello Marc - thanks for writing. This should help, there is a Chinese Blocking Force each turn. It's part of the sequence of play - at the beginning of each Event Card, you randomly draw a Blocking Force counter from a cup. The counters in the cup will change over the course of the decks as you add new counters and remove older ones (just so you know, they get stronger as you move through the decks) but you'll never know the exact strength of the force until you draw it. Therefore, there is always a Chinese Blocking Force each turn.

The Blocking Force only attacks the Relief Column when it states it on the Event Card - otherwise, you have the option to attack the Blocking Force and then attempt to advance. Early on you'll spend most of your Command Points to improve the Combat Power and Speed of your Relief Column. Deciding when to attack and attempt to advance is one of the challenging dynamics in the game...that's designer code for this mechanic will make the player crazy :-)

I hope that answers your questions, if not, just let me know and thanks again for posting.

Now I can understand it much better. I missed that there was a Chinese Blocking Force each turn and then the full picture was incomplete. I felt something didn´t work well, but wasn´t sure.

Thanks, Mr. Welch.

This one is good and I think that it is going to become one of my favourites in the SOS series. Thanks for your games too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Welch
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I could help - I'm so pleased you are enjoying the game because that's why I design them!

Take care and keep up the fire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I sussed out the intent, I think it was a little more murky than it should have been. I messed up my first (game, first) turn by not drawing a blocking force (thinking the card would have had a unit icon if I was supposed to).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Welch
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The murky is all my fault here - I wanted the randomness of a chit draw versus putting it on the cards - particularly if a player is playing the decks historically. I owe Alan Emrich quite a bit with this mechanic as a way to simulate what happened historically while providing the possibility of a bold attempt to move toward Peking earlier than was done...of course, the Eight Nation Army tried to advance early as well and it didn't end so well for them on the first two tries :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a Chinese Blockading Force Attacks and once it is resolved do you draw another random unit as per sequence 3A? I assume yes because the special is separate from the sequence of play, so tough to gain ground.....interesting game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Welch
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Matt - thanks for the question. You do not draw another Chinese Blocking force unit in a random draw. The Force that attacks is still your opponent. Advancing it TOUGH - waiting until your strength and speed are high enough but not waiting too long are tough...not to mention the finger-of-fate dice rolls :-)

Good luck and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.