GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,527 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » General

Subject: What is the best way to teach new players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am somewhat a new player myself but I am familiar with the rules. I will be the keeper versing two investigators in Story 1, but they don't really have enough knowledge of the rules yet. So I was wondering, what is the best way of teaching the game?
-Reading all of the rules to them?
-Let them watch videos on the gameplay and how to play?
-The old 'explain as you go' method?
-Or is there a custom made scenario out there that is used as a 'tutorial scenario'? (I think that'd be a really good idea if it existed. Does it?)

What do you think the best option is?

Any reply is appreciated! Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt09 wrote:
I am somewhat a new player myself but I am familiar with the rules. I will be the keeper versing two investigators in Story 1, but they don't really have enough knowledge of the rules yet. So I was wondering, what is the best way of teaching the game?
-Reading all of the rules to them?

I usually just explain the rules before play (which, I might add, is different to reading the rules to the players - definitely don't do that).

You just need to cover:

- Investigator movement and actions
- Concept of "attribute tests" (inc. skill points, evade and horror tests)
- Health and sanity
- Brief overview of Keeper turn (but not in detail)

And that's it. Takes about 5-10 minutes. You don't need to explain anything else until it happens (including combat and puzzles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The Fall of House Lynch is a fantastic scenario for introducing new players to the game. I recommend choosing 1B as the objective, since that provides the most climactic ending.

I'd explain the basic rules of the game - investigators get two moves and an action, Keeper gets Threat that can be spent on these Keeper Actions, here's how combat works, and each Clue points to the next (with emphasis that following the Clues is important). More specialized things - puzzles, spellcasting (unless someone really really wants an investigator who starts with a spell), the effects of darkness and fire and stun - can be saved for when they come up (when an investigator finds a puzzle, a tome, or the appropriate token respectively).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I usually just explain the rules before play (which, I might add, is different to reading the rules to the players - definitely don't do that).

You just need to cover:

- Investigator movement and actions
- Concept of "attribute tests" (inc. skill points, evade and horror tests)
- Health and sanity
- Brief overview of Keeper turn (but not in detail)

And that's it. Takes about 5-10 minutes. You don't need to explain anything else until it happens (including combat and puzzles).

I agree with Chris, and I would add: give them a couple tips. Warn them that they "should" usually move/work in pairs and should generally be focused on getting the next clue, not just exploring the house willy-nilly.

Also, to try to set their expectations, I usually tell them up front (in a good natured way): "My job will be to chase you down, gut you, drive you insane, spread your body parts all over the mansion, etc. I am NOT your friend. I am not your DM, I am your enemy".

That way it helps keep them from feeling like they are being picked on by the Keeper. They now know it is your JOB to harass them - not just facilitate a gaming expereince for them. Some people have trouble understanding that in a hybrid co-operative.

Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for your answers!
I think I'll take your advice and explain the core rules at the start, and then the other rules when needed.
Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Pelvidar wrote:
I agree with Chris, and I would add: give them a couple tips. Warn them that they "should" usually move/work in pairs and should generally be focused on getting the next clue, not just exploring the house willy-nilly.

I agree that giving tips is good, but the tip I'd advise giving is to try to get through the Clues as quickly as possible, framing it as something of a race.

Sticking together with only two Investigators means almost no exploring can be done. That's a bit of a problem when Uncontrollable Urges can create "lone" Investigators for Maniacs by splitting up the group anyhow, and the grouped Investigator team will find almost none of the good items, like the Shotgun, that would be quite useful to have. Even with more Investigators, I'm not sure sticking together is such a good idea. Why let the Keeper force multiple Horror and Evade checks with only a single monster?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, yes - I forgot to mention that you should also stress that the investigators really need to chase the clue trail as quickly as possible, as it is the key to winning. If you don't do this, it is likely they will just explore the mansion aimlessly and come out of it feeling like they had no idea of what they were supposed to do. I say this from personal experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen McTeague
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Spoiler for Fall of House Lynch below:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you're doing Fall of House Lynch, I wouldn't even tell them about the clue trail. The scenario seems balanced that even if the investigators stray off the clue trail for a little bit, then they don't necessarily lose. I consider Fall of House Lynch to be a learning scenario and the best way to learn is to see what happens if you fail. So I wouldn't tell them about the clue trail for their first game, but if they haven't figured it out at the end, you might want to let them know. Just my opinion though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iammars wrote:
If you're doing Fall of House Lynch, I wouldn't even tell them about the clue trail. The scenario seems balanced that even if the investigators stray off the clue trail for a little bit, then they don't necessarily lose. I consider Fall of House Lynch to be a learning scenario and the best way to learn is to see what happens if you fail. So I wouldn't tell them about the clue trail for their first game, but if they haven't figured it out at the end, you might want to let them know. Just my opinion though

I would advise against this if you ever want your players to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Iammars wrote:

It may be balanced in terms of the Investigators still having a decent chance of victory, but it will leave the Investigators feeling like they spent the game moving randomly. Even if they're not necessarily vital to win, the Clues do give the Investigators some direction - a goal so that they feel like they're accomplishing something throughout the game.

Also, if the objective is 1B, then one of the possible locations of Clue 1 can make the game almost impossible if the Investigators don't follow the clues, since the lock over Clue 1 will give the Investigators a window of only one turn in which to "fulfill their objective" before the Keeper declares victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McTeague, I am sorry to say, is WRONG in SPADES for a game with first time players. You want them to have a good time, not get smeared all over the mansion and feel confused and cheated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen McTeague
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay, I don't know about "wrong in spades", seeing as its been working for me so far, but if it the general experience seems to work the other way so far, then so be it.

To be fair, I rarely play a game nowadays where all the investigators are new, so that may be skewing the way I teach it these days. I do try to keep strategy out of my rules introductions however, since I tend to do weird strategies in a lot of different board games and I don't want skew people's perception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your players have the time and inclination, you could point them towards one of the many tutorial/review videos.
"Fall of House Lynch" is a great scenario to demo to friends and customers alike. It's a lot more straightforward than some of the others (esp. Classroom Curses).
I would definitely play it the way you would GM a role-platying session. Don't go for the throat, but don't pull your punches to the point where players feel bored or not challenged.
Teach them the rules and concept first. THEN destroy them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.