Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Both Andromeda and 1960: The Making of the President include a mechanic to detemine pseudo-random results without dice. Basically color cubes are hidden and then drawn one at a time. If your cube color is picked out, the result is in your favor. Otherwise, it is not.

I am intrigued by this mechanic and was wondering if you know any other games that use it.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
pseudo-random

That's not pseudo-random. That's just plain random. Pseudo-random isn't random. Pseudo-random is a deterministic process intended to emulate randomness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well in The Pillars of the Earth each player places their 3 colored master builder pawns in a bag, and they are drawn out randomly to determine which order players get to select actions. Also, whoever is active player in the current round has one opportunity to veto a draw, and draw again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

Both Andromeda and 1960: The Making of the President include a mechanic to detemine pseudo-random results without dice. Basically color cubes are hidden and then drawn one at a time. If your cube color is picked out, the result is in your favor. Otherwise, it is not.

I am intrigued by this mechanic and was wondering if you know any other games that use it.

Thank you.

It is fairly common in wargames that a number of chits are put in a cup, and drawn one at a time. When a chit is drawn, the units assosiated with that chit get to act.

Across Five Aprils and Panzer Command are two games using this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Ticket to Ride: Europe, you build routes with colored cards. When building a tunnel route, there is a random element to determine how hard it will be to tunnel through: If I recall correctly, you first commit which color card (e.g., Blue) you will spend from your hand for the route. Then, for each section of tunnel you dig, you draw a card from the top of the (random) deck. If that card is blue, then you have bad luck and have to spend one additional of your cards for this route. If the card is any other color, you are in the clear.

Thus, the game uses it's own cards/deck as a randomizer.

Race for the Galaxy is a card game that does some similar things with a few cards. When random numbers are needed, you draw a card and use the cost-value of that random card as your number.

In Space Hulk (third edition) the marine player randomly draws one tile from 6 to determine their extra command points each turn. This is the same as rolling a die, but allows them to then put that chosen tile face down as a marker, and the other player does not see what number they drew. Thus it's like a secret random number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:
pseudo-random

That's not pseudo-random. That's just plain random. Pseudo-random isn't random. Pseudo-random is a deterministic process intended to emulate randomness.

Well, I was using the term pseudo-random because the number of colored cubes in the bag isn't necessarily even, which is what intrigues me. A number of other mechanics go into "seeding" the bag. Did I use the term incorrectly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
Asmor wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:
pseudo-random

Well, I was using the term pseudo-random because the number of colored cubes in the bag isn't necessarily even, which is what intrigues me. A number of other mechanics go into "seeding" the bag. Did I use the term incorrectly?

It's still random, just not with equally-probable results.

Have you seen Thebes? It uses a similar concept. "Dig sites" are bags filled with chips representing either worthless dirt or valuable artifacts. When you dig, you pull out X amount of chips, and then return any dirt to the bag afterwards. Thus, the more often people dig in a particular site, the less likely you are to find anything valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In The End of the Triumvirate, a bag is initially seeded with 2 cubes of each player's color. During the game, player's have the opportunity to add weapons (cubes) to the battle bag.

Battle resolution is mostly* in two parts:
1. Draw cubes from the bag. The number drawn is the lower number of legions on either side, with a maximum of 3. For each cube drawn of the attacker, the defender loses a legion, and vice versa. Cubes drawn of the 3rd non-participating player have no effect and are put back in the bag with no replacement cube being drawn.
2. Remaining legions are removed one for one on both sides until one (or both) side has no legions left.

* Attacker loses 2 legions when attacking another player's leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe no-one has mentioned Shogun/Wallenstein (first edition) yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Shogun/Wallenstein (first edition) both user a cube tower where you throw cubes in the tower and results are determined by what cubes come out the bottom. This one probably could be called "pseudo-random" because you can definitely find patterns (Geoff Engelstein did a bit on the Dice Tower about it I think).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

What you're thinking of is called "non-uniformly distributed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_distribution_(discrete)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Shogun/Wallenstein (first edition) both user a cube tower where you throw cubes in the tower and results are determined by what cubes come out the bottom. This one probably could be called "pseudo-random" because you can definitely find patterns (Geoff Engelstein did a bit on the Dice Tower about it I think).

No, that's still random. It just means the events are not independent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_(probability_theor...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the spaceships in Starfarers of Catan have colored balls inside of the spaceships, which you shake and depending on which appear you can do one thing or another

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rumaley
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:
pseudo-random

That's not emulation. That's simulation.

[ Closes door and exits. ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Unnamed Object: the process of drawing cards is analogous in respect of the disaster events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.