Subject: Teaching the game to new players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How easy is it to teach this game. How does compare to Dungeon Lords or Through the Ages in terms of introducing the game to new players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcons wrote:
How easy is it to teach this game. How does compare to Dungeon Lords or Through the Ages in terms of introducing the game to new players?

It has more details to remember, especially concerning the various locations behaviors and the monster abilities, than Dungeon Lords or Through the Ages. However, the vast majority of them make thematic "sense", so once you have the rules in your head, you tend not to forget them.

There are a few niggling things, imo, the most significant of which is the way damage is handled. Interaction with resistances, blocking, units damage vs player damage, special abilities, etc. is a bit fiddly to learn at first. Most of it isn't necessary to know from the get-go, however.

There is a teaching scenario included which is designed to be a "learn-as-you-go" experience for new players (though at least one player should be comfortable with the game when running the scenario). In introduces the locations in roughly the order of rules difficulty.

All told, it's taken me more total time to teach Mage Knight than either Dungeon Lords or Through the Ages...however, if you use the training scenario, you can do a lot of this teaching during actual gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the talk of complexities especially regarding taking damage, it sure would be great to see some hand outs created and uploaded to the geek for reference? Like player aids?

*Looks at universal head*

Cheers OP on a simple but good topic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:
With all the talk of complexities especially regarding taking damage, it sure would be great to see some hand outs created and uploaded to the geek for reference?

Back of the rulebook has a summary of all the abilities and resistances and what they do.
After a few games, you dont even need this. I haven't even looked at the rulebook for my last 3 or 4 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Boze wrote:
With all the talk of complexities especially regarding taking damage, it sure would be great to see some hand outs created and uploaded to the geek for reference?

Back of the rulebook has a summary of all the abilities and resistances and what they do.
After a few games, you dont even need this. I haven't even looked at the rulebook for my last 3 or 4 games.

Ooh good to know i was looking to pick up my copy from my FLGS pretty quick. LOL Paul weren't you in the boardgamegeek video beside the designer? I take it you are a touch more well versed in this game then others don't sell yourself short friend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:
Boze wrote:

Ooh good to know i was looking to pick up my copy from my FLGS pretty quick. LOL Paul weren't you in the boardgamegeek video beside the designer? I take it you are a touch more well versed in this game then others don't sell yourself short friend!

Nah, that was my evil twin brother... erm... Paulo Grogan. He's a complete idiot.

But yes, I know the game pretty well, but the 2 other players who were playing the last game with me didnt need to look at the rulebook at all and had very few questions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the game is simple - it's pretty heavy, but I find a lot of the rules intuitive once you've got your head round them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
I agree the rules are mostly intuitive, which is a good thing since the rule-books are mostly not readable.
But if you guess enough whilst trying to read the rules. You should end up understanding how to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The person who introduced the rules to us used the introductory scenario and more or less explained things as we went along. He did basic combat at the beginning and the combat abilities of the various monsters as they appeared.

Worked for the most part though there were one or two serious misunderstandings (such as thinking Crystals could be used once a turn!) and he never did get round to explaining resting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.