GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,948 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The situation: A soviet unit in Stalino, with a German unit directly east of it and a german unit directly west, casting a ZOC onto every hex around the soviet unit, including Rostov. (See map here).

Can the soviet unit trace to rostov to get supplies? In this case, Rostov can trace a valid supply path south-east to the map edge, but can the soviet unit trace a supply path to rostov? Since Rostov is the destination, is it possible to cut that path when there are no intervening hexes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridger wrote:
The situation: A soviet unit in Stalino, with a German unit directly east of it and a german unit directly west, casting a ZOC onto every hex around the soviet unit, including Rostov. (See map here).

Can the soviet unit trace to rostov to get supplies? In this case, Rostov can trace a valid supply path south-east to the map edge, but can the soviet unit trace a supply path to rostov? Since Rostov is the destination, is it possible to cut that path when there are no intervening hexes?

A friendly city, without friendly units inside, in EZOC, cannot provide supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Carl! We played that since there were no intervening hexes there was no path to cut (guess we were wrong!). Didn't matter anyway. I put that german to my east out of supply after he took rostov, and fought him twice to force a surrender (he used luftwaffe to supply himself) and lost 2 other fights in addition. Any of those fights going my way would have saved me, but all 3 failed Sudden death on turn 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
piotr faldrowicz
Poland
warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hehe I've got exacly the same situation (and the same doubts) yesterday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laufle
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
designer
I enjoy games about Stalingrad
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:

This is a very clear and important answer, thanks Carl. Can you put this in the living rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhuned wrote:
licinius wrote:

This is a very clear and important answer, thanks Carl. Can you put this in the living rules?

Absolutely, it's already in my list of things to add for the next version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a difference between a city "not being able to provide supply" and a city being "supplied"?

Situation: German turn. Russian unit sits directly west of empty Russian-controlled Leningrad. To the south of Russian unit are two German units (in both hexes below the Russians). One of the German units extends in ZOC over empty Leningrad, so Russian unit can't trace overland supply through Leningrad. Leningrad can trace supply through Ladoga, no German unit ZOC there. Can Russian unit use Baltic fleet to trace its supply path? Two conditions for using Baltic fleet are for Leningrad to be Russian controlled and supplied. So can Leningrad at the same time not be able to provide supply for other units but be in supply itself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Germany
flag msg tools
Move along, move along...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a city can be in supply but not be a source of supply itself, e.g. if a EZOC extends into a friendly city without a friendly unit occupying it.

I found it useful to think of supply routes as going from a unit directly to a map edge or to go via a city to a map edge. In the latter case, it is clear that if the supply route is blocked at any point (including in the city itself) the route is considered blocked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tako wrote:
Yes, a city can be in supply but not be a source of supply itself,

Thanks, I like that answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.