GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Brass: Lancashire» Forums » Rules

Subject: overbuilding industry with industry card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Borys Zaba-Zabinski
Ireland
Limerick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is my rail or canal connection needed when I am overbuilding my own industry using industry card (just like it is needed when you building on empty space)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s m t
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
“The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.” — Plutarch
mbmbmbmbmb
No. You already have a presence in that location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borys Zaba-Zabinski
Ireland
Limerick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools

That's correct, but you do of course still need a coal connection if the industry you are building needs coal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Łukasik
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The manual says:

Building over other Industry counters

You can always build in a space already containing one of your counters as long as the new counter is of the same type and has a higher Tech Level. You must still meet all 5 requirements for building an Industry counter. (Exception: if you use an Industry card you do not need to have any links connected to the location) The old counter is removed, along with any cubes on it.

Does the underlined sentence apply only to overbuilding your own counters? Or also opponents' ironworks/coal mine counters on the board? In other words - does the industry card work as a city card for the purposes of overbuilding? You just play an industry card and overbuild opponent's counters anywhere, even in locations without your links around it (of course provided that you still deliver coal for 5 Pounds via connected ports)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In other words - does the industry card work as a city card for the purposes of overbuilding? You just play an industry card and overbuild opponent's counters anywhere, even in locations without your links around it (of course provided that you still deliver coal for 5 Pounds via connected ports)?

No. If you play an industry card in order to overbuild an opponent, you must be connected to the location where you do that (either by having one of your links connected there, or by having an industry of your own built in that location).

If you are just overbuilding yourself, then you have already established a connection to the location where you're doing the overbuild. Probably just written that way so that nobody thinks that you lack connectivity when you remove the old counter before overbuilding it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Łukasik
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, everything is perfectly clear now.

Awesome game, just awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Tolman
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow-up question; I hope someone can help: how do you overbuild using the Brass iOS version? I was trying to focus more on development in my last game, but when I went to develop, it sometimes told me that I was already at level 2?? But then when the canal era ended, I lost some of my important industry plants because apparently they were still at level 1?

Anyone with familiarity with both the cardboard and iOS version who can help me figure this out?

Thanks!

Just getting into Brass -- I am loving it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dranton wrote:
Follow-up question; I hope someone can help: how do you overbuild using the Brass iOS version? I was trying to focus more on development in my last game, but when I went to develop, it sometimes told me that I was already at level 2?? But then when the canal era ended, I lost some of my important industry plants because apparently they were still at level 1?

It sounds like you don't quite understand what developing does. Let me explain it this way: in the physical version of the game, there are, for example, 9 coal mines in each color: 2 level 4, 2 level 3, 2 level 2, and 1 level 1. (So when I play, I stack them in reverse order: level 1 on top.) Whenever you build coal, you use the lowest level that's still available (in my case, the one on top of the stack). You can get to higher level industries by building the lower-level ones you have and/or by developing them away. But developing them away does nothing for the ones you've already built on the board! It only affects future coal builds.

So if I build a level 1 coal mine, then develop 2 coal mines, that means the NEXT coal mine I build will be level 3. The level 1 I built stays on the board, and will be removed at the end of the canal phase.

Now overbuilding is a different matter; that's replacing an existing industry on the board with a new, higher-level industry. You can always overbuild your own industries, and you can overbuild opponents' iron and coal if there's no iron or coal available on the board AND the demand track is empty.

Overbuilding your own industries is sometimes useful, but usually not.
Since you're a beginner, you'd probably do better not to mess around with it; as you gain experience, you'll find the situations that call for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Tolman
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam, thank you. I have never played the cardboard version, but I'm excited for Birmingham to arrive. I think this is easier to grok with the cardboard than the virtual iOS experience. For instance, I don't think I can tell on the iPad version what level of industry I built. This is why so many of my buildings disappeared after the canal era! It puts me at a disadvantage as we move into the rail era.

I'll have to see if there is a way for me to tell what is what on the board, and it sounds like it might be better to develop iron and coal before building them? But it seems this is not true for cotton -- it is almost required to build cotton first and then ship to market to begin your engine....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mauer
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dranton wrote:
But it seems this is not true for cotton -- it is almost required to build cotton first and then ship to market to begin your engine....

Not true at all, in fact level 1 cotton is great to develop away, and building a level 1 coalmine can do a great job of giving a quick early income boost. (Iron can too but this is more often just a break-even operation)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palmer Eldritch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawke wrote:
Not true at all, in fact level 1 cotton is great to develop away, and building a level 1 coalmine can do a great job of giving a quick early income boost.

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Tolman
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both! Still working on strategy. Now in my 3rd game vs. AI. I'm trying out different strategies to see what I learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.