GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,144 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Ascension: Deckbuilding Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Playing Cards from Hand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If possible, do you HAVE to play a hero card, or can you hold and discard?

The reason I ask, is for Arbiter of the Precipice. If you play it at times, it can hurt you. I can’t find anything in the rules, for some reason.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading through the rules, no, I suppose it is never stated explicitly, but no, you are not forced to play a card from your hand (be it a Hero or a Construct). You may hold it until the end of your turn and then discard it.

(I don't believe it is ever impossible to play a Hero or Construct card -- even the Arbiter requires that you draw two cards, thus ensuring, unless that is the only card in your deck, that you will have at least one to banish -- from your hand. Therefore, a strict reading of the rules supports your ability to refrain from playing a card, as otherwise you would not have anything left in your hand at the end of your turn to discard.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Brian wrote:
If possible, do you HAVE to play a hero card, or can you hold and discard?

The reason I ask, is for Arbiter of the Precipice. If you play it at times, it can hurt you. I can’t find anything in the rules, for some reason.

Thanks!
You are right... you're not required to play all the cards in your hand, so in that example, you may want to do just that.... leave Arbiter of the Precipice unplayed. Many cards in the game do not say "may", so you don't have the option of selectively ignoring effects.

FWIW, this is how the iOS version implements this, and how a PC version implements this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You dont have to play a hero in your hand if you dont want to. The arbiter is the main one where this comes up and you actively are scared to play it. sometimes its worth the gamble to play him off an empty hand, but you may have to banish a valuable honor card if one of your draws isnt a start card!

If you draw a card with an empty hand by other means (by killing a monster with a draw reward or playing a hero that replaces itself) and pull into a Librarian but you have nothing left in hand to discard to her, she IS pretty useless in that situation and sits in your hand unplayed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Visscher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way in which the IOS version is implemented allows you to end your turn at anytime. So I assume this translates to the board game that you do not have to play a card if you do not want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.