Popular Tags: [View All]
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played Core Worlds for the first time last night and quite enjoyed it. Here's how it went down:

We played with the draft initially. My unique hero didnt figure into my plans much, and i picked up a WorkBot and a Repair Station in the draft, which go quite nice together. WorkBot saves you 3 energy and costs 0, so my Magic:TG brain thought "might as well pick up a card that looks like a Black Lotus and see how good it is!". You can use the repair station tactic to reuse a robot that would be discarded, so i managed to save alot of energy in the early turns when deploying troops I bought in the early turns with this synergy. (ps: workbot is cool, but the fact he costs an action to deploy is a significant cost and 3 energy is easier to come by late game, so hes not quite a black lotus

But the robots kept coming and i kept getting them, and Repair Station proved to be a real gem and the key to my ultimate win. I picked up a WarBot, who is 2 to both air and ground, but an additional +1 for each other robot in play. i had about 10 or 11 energy from worlds most of the game, always abit behind the others players, so my energy surges were +2, but not needing tons of energy thanks to some of the energy reduction cards i had. I picked up another robot that was 2 cheaper to deploy per robot you had, so he came in free when i used him later, and i picked up the world that makes all robots -1 energy. and then another WARBOT! this is when the combo nature kicked into high gear....

the last few turns, my warbots were beasts. they each gave +5 or +6 to both stats thanks to my robot army (including a medibot and workbot who sat in play cheering them on), so could take down most worlds on their own, and core worlds together. and i had the repair station, which i kept using to not have to discard the warbot from play after an invasion! so i could then conquer another world quickly...this lead me to pickup alot of tasty worlds worth a bunch of vp in stage 4 easily without having to spend lots of actions on troop deploys, including the one that lets you discard your hand and draw a new one (wheel of fortune in MtG was really good...).

So i went into the final stage with my tableau full of angry robots, ready to take on the core worlds. I had been the start player initially, and i must say every time i had turn priority I put it to good use in picking up a good world before others could snatch it. Round 9 i got Ra for 8 points going 2nd, then managed to pick up Quetzalcoatl as start player on the final round, the perfect world for my Cyclon army (worth 11 points thanks to my 5 robots and 1 vehicle). i had also picked up the card that lets you search for another card incase my WarBots or repair station weren't handy (hello MtG's Demonic Tutor! ) i even cycled my hand the final turn to get back the warbot and repair station from round 9, so i still had heavy robot power after taking Quetz, which allowed me to scoop up the final Core World on the wheel (my 3rd!), 1 turn before the player to my left could afford it. yoink! i even picked up 5 points of red cards thanks to superfluous energy, even though i had the lowest energy generation at the table going into the final round. thank you Repair Station!

so i crushed it this game thanks to "the robot strategy", which was really all about recursing warbots over and over while having a few other cheap robots in play. My place in turn order ended up being a big factor it seemed, and I do see how going later can be a pretty big disadvantage on key turns. Thats my main concern on possible balance issues after an initial play. The designer says a player should stock up on luxury worlds in stage 4 if they expect to not have good selection of core worlds, but i managed to do both and thus had a crazy score. i think i scored 57 points! (maybe it was 47?) this seems a VERY high score for the game and i dont expect to do nearly as well in future plays.

the others at my table had different plans. One had a heavy infantry focus, and another had some capital ships synergies. But once the game got going, we found we werent competing much for military or tactics cards, but the worlds were contested a lot more. you definitely need to pay attention to what troops others deploy and what they could conquer and prioritize accordingly. I think i just was sitting in the right seat this game and things came together very nice.

I liked it more than I expected! A bit of the tactical draft feeling of Ascension and MtG booster drafts (which i REALLY like), a bit of the steady advancement of cards over time ala Innovation/London (both of which i like alot), and lots of combos to be explored. looking forward to playing again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the cool session report, James! It's always fun when the strategy you're pursuing comes forward in spades, and when others are turning their gaze elsewhere (i.e. not grabbing your precious robots! :-))

There are other fun combolicious strategies that I'm sure you'll also enjoy pursuing. It's one of the reasons that the pregame draft should be implemented as soon as players move past their first game.

Regarding the turn order, it's seems your "Repair Station" + perfect Robot pulls were what allowed you to thrive even in the Luxury Worlds, where Player 1 is at a disadvantage. Glad to hear you were able to unleash your mechanical menace upon an unsuspecting galaxy!

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great session report James! You don't often hear of someone hitting on such a successful strategy right off the bat in their first game.

I'm hoping to play this game for the first time later today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Istanbul Jackson
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed reading this, James. Thanks for posting it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.