United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my second game of this a couple nights ago, and I enjoyed it much more than the first game. It appears to be a slow burn, and the interactions between the different objectives and different abilities from game to game appear to be what will keep it fresh.

Despite the title, none of us realized how useful the Tower could be with the Discoverers in play until it was too late. With three players, I only realized the power of it and pointed it out after it was impossible for two of us to obtain a Tower, and after the one who did have a Tower had already placed along the top edge of the board. The Tower could essentially be used to set up shop along one of the side edges of the board, allowing the player to creep up one side, gaining all of the horizontals pretty easily.

Anyway, we had the Miners, Lords, and Discoverers in play as objectives, and the board provided us with the Oasis, Farm, Barn, and Tower (clockwise from top-left). The way the board was set up, the Miners and the Discoverers were a bit at odds with one another, as the biggest mountain range was a horizontal one, so building alongside that range would only score gold toward one of the two objectives.

Michael was able to get a Farm and an Oasis fairly early in the game, with a second Farm coming about midway through, so it was pretty clear that he would have more settlements down before the rest of us. Indeed, he forced the end of the game with the other two of us having about ten settlements remaining.

While there wasn't much I could do to influence the Lords scoring, I was making my best attempt at maximizing the Discoverers. On the very last turn I had, I got exactly the draw I needed to take one hex in each of the bottom three rows, completing all twenty rows for that objective. Not only that, but I nearly surrounded one tiny single-hex mountain, for a good amount of gold from the Miners.

It was a close game, with Mai-Li and Michael only one or two gold away from each other, and me finishing in the lead with about four more than either of them. I'm interested to play more, if only to see some more of the variable interactions between components, but I'm still a bit disappointed with the volume of the pool to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
With three players, I only realized the power of it and pointed it out after it was impossible for two of us to obtain a Tower, and after the one who did have a Tower had already placed along the top edge of the board.

Something's wrong.

One player can only take 2 of the 4 towers available on the board, so each location should still have 1 tower each remaining. So, the other 2 players could still have got 1 each, or one of them could get both, leaving just one player unable to get a tower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve, maybe
1) The first player covered all the areas that can be settled around the two towers (one tower is next to water, which makes it easier to block)
2) The two players realized that they needed to get there when they have already spread out in all 7 areas, leaving no way to get there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Steve, we've had plenty of games where a location got completely surrounded by one player, thus preventing another player from taking the other token from that location.

PS: Take that, nay-sayers who claim there's no player interaction in Kingdom Builder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Moonleaf wrote:
Steve, maybe
1) The first player covered all the areas that can be settled around the two towers (one tower is next to water, which makes it easier to block)
2) The two players realized that they needed to get there when they have already spread out in all 7 areas, leaving no way to get there

That's exactly what happened. One was surrounded by the one player, and we couldn't build next to the other one without violating the adjacency rules. It was poor planning on our part, for sure, but it was literally impossible by the time we realized we could use it. The Tower was the only special building in this session that we played also with during the first game we played, and didn't see any particular benefit from it then. We should have considered its use in conjunction with the Discoverers earlier on. Live and learn, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, Discoverers is quite easy to accomplish even without Towers. In most games with Discoverers no player scored below 18
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops, sorry, just ignore me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.