Defense Grid: The Awakening» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Tips for Defense Grid rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there are fans of this game out there so I need a few tips for playing better. It's been about a year since I last seriously played Defense Grid and now the DLC is out I'm back into it.

Both the regular map DLC and the Portal content is kicking my butt. So some tips and hints would be most welcome.

For instance, on maps where I can shape the path of the aliens, should I be aiming for a long/weak path initially or a short/strong path initially?
Also some good tower combos? I think they might have nerfed some since I last played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that with the maps where I have access to all towers, I very much like concussion and temporal towers next to one another. Even on levels with flyers I like to have at least one concussion tower death-trap built.

The thing is that there's no cast-iron technique that will work on all maps, as it really depends on the layout, budget, and the size & strength of the aliens that come out.

The only universal advice is to try and spend as little as possible at any given juncture, using rewind to plug leaks when necessary. Also, a well placed command tower covering your kill-zone can make a huge difference to your available cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hodkinson
Canada
Owen Sound
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
兵者,詭道也。
badge
mbmb
I like the temporal tower/concussion tower strategy, I'll try that in my next game.

Here are a few tips from what I've learned over the last few weeks.

1) Map out your whole route for the aliens before you put down a tower. It usually only takes 1-2 minutes. The Portal expansions are particularly easy for that (so far).

2) In planning the route, try to join the alien entry point directly to their exit point at the start of the route. That way you only really need to upgrade the route from exit point to core.

3) Decide your start place for towers on your planned route. Judge the place by adding together how many times the aliens must pass by. Usually there is a place that they pass by four times (two in and two out). Sometimes there is a six to eight spot.

4) Balance upgrading that key spot with placing green towers that will most shape their way along the route that you have chosen. There is no need to place a tower early in the game along a route that they will take anyway. Put towers where their route is most fundamentally changed.

5) Rely mainly on gun towers. They are the cheapest kill for the price (100/200/400).

6) Temporal towers are key to your best part of the route (where you started building). They are also one of the best upgrades because their price doesn't change (300/300/300). However, you can wait on them until your planned route is semi-complete. Adding to the route with green towers has much the same effect as a temporal tower since you slow down alien progress. Also, you want to spread the aliens out over the route: you want the aliens closer to the core at the beginning simply to have those towers working.

7) Infernos are best at corners or places where they are spread out from each other (an at times other towers). Time any placement or upgrades for large groups of small aliens.

8) Lasers are crucial for some alien types, especially Rumblers or those fast aliens whose name I forget ("those things are bloody fast").
Each scenario is different, but if a certain alien pierces your strategy, figure out what its weakness is and add more of those towers when you retry the scenario.

I hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
There is one good map to play a few times over to experiment with the towers, upgrades and path routing. I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

It's basically one big open plain where towers can be placed anywhere.

I've tried the level using only green towers and spreading their path out as far as possible and failed.

I've found I can last a lot longer with a shorter path and upgrading the towers to red.

Also when you create a winding path make sure the aliens have to make 2 passes past the more powerful upgraded towers, such as a red concussion tower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks for the tips so far. The concussion/temporal combo is quite nice. I'm getting back into being able to play properly. Have managed to scrape through a few levels of the portal content.

I am really enjoying the changed mechanics on several levels where GLados takes over various functions.

One part I was missing was utilising laser turrets properly and that has now been fixed. Tesla turrets can also deliver and nice kick when placed in the right area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing how a lot of people have recently added this to the Video Games Beaten geeklist, here's another person who's getting poor results. I don't fail missions, but I rarely get the Silver, and almost never get the Gold in the basic campaign.

Some questions which popped to my head:

1) In general, is it better to build more towers, or build less, but stronger?

2) What is the most useless Tower according to you? One that you don't use, or you noticed it's particularly weaker than other towers like it? For example, I've got my doubts about the usefulness of the Cannon (too slow, not enough damage even at Red to make a significant difference) and the Tesla tower (I love the concept, but just feel it doesn't work as well as others).

3) Any tower type you noticed works particularly well against a certain type of enemy?

I know a lot of this is circumstantial, but I'd just like some basic tips which work more often than not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
Lord_Kristof wrote:
Seeing how a lot of people have recently added this to the Video Games Beaten geeklist, here's another person who's getting poor results. I don't fail missions, but I rarely get the Silver, and almost never get the Gold in the basic campaign.

Some questions which popped to my head:

2) What is the most useless Tower according to you? One that you don't use, or you noticed it's particularly weaker than other towers like it? For example, I've got my doubts about the usefulness of the Cannon (too slow, not enough damage even at Red to make a significant difference) and the Tesla tower (I love the concept, but just feel it doesn't work as well as others).

3) Any tower type you noticed works particularly well against a certain type of enemy?

I know a lot of this is circumstantial, but I'd just like some basic tips which work more often than not.

1. I don't think there's a pat answer to this. On some boards I've found few strong towers to be most effective, on others I could only get the gold by spamming green (for a while at least). Whenever possible I use green guns to shape the board then create a killing field of temporal, concussion, cannon, and command towers.

2. I almost never use Tesla towers, that's money best spent elsewhere. And I'm not a big fan of inferno towers. But I really like cannons. Not as my base tower, of course, but it's a fantastic support piece. Place it strategically so that its large fire-field covers a huge stretch of pathway, or so that it takes out fliers before they start distracting your guns from the crawlers.

3. All the towers are good against something. Cannons vs armor and fliers, lasers vs speedsters, meteors vs swarms, etc. Keep an eye on what bad guys are coming next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Just my 2 cents

You need a balance but Stronger is more important for the more difficult levels.

I usually avoid the Tesla, I like the Red Cannons however. I also think the Concussion isn't very useful until you can get it upgraded and pair it with a Temporal.

I've played some maps trying to use only one type of tower and sometimes succeed but mostly fail. I think some tower combos can be more successful. I used to avoid Inferno towers but I tried combining these with the Gun and Laser and the heat damage over time seems to improve my success rate. You just need to make sure to place these when there is time for the heat to do damage, not as an alien unit is just about to leave the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hodkinson
Canada
Owen Sound
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
兵者,詭道也。
badge
mbmb

I'll add to the already good advice given out.

I have most of the gold missions and I find as a general rule that gun towers are the best because they are the cheapest. Whether green or red depends on the length of the route you've set up and the number of times the aliens will pass/pause over a section of your route. Usually upgrading to red gun towers pays off.

Also since you're only getting silver instead of gold, that problem lies with using a command tower, placed and upgraded to the spot you kill the most aliens. The extra money you recover will easily catapult you up a level.

For uselessness, nothing quite outdoes the Tesla unless there are masses of individual aliens, and then an inferno does a better and cheaper job. Cannons are only useful if there is an extreme range problem; again, guns do a much better and cheaper job.

Lasers are usually necessary to stop silver rumblers and those pink little fliers, depending on the number or gun towers you have (since sometimes a long route over gun towers can stop rumblers easily). Seriously though, with only gun towers, a temporal tower, a command tower, and a laser or two, you can usually get gold on all the missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gnomish Mustard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SilentHitz2 wrote:
I know there are fans of this game out there so I need a few tips for playing better. It's been about a year since I last seriously played Defense Grid and now the DLC is out I'm back into it.

Both the regular map DLC and the Portal content is kicking my butt. So some tips and hints would be most welcome.

For instance, on maps where I can shape the path of the aliens, should I be aiming for a long/weak path initially or a short/strong path initially?
Also some good tower combos? I think they might have nerfed some since I last played.

I find the key to success in most of these maps (I havent gotten gold on all portal maps yet) is to have a really hearty killzone with a fully upgraded command tower to maximize the amount of money you have to spend.

This area will be the spot where you kill the vast majority of the aliens, slowing them down with temporal towers and having them face fully upgraded weapons. You want to be careful not to go too strong on the entrances and exits as if an alien dies there you are missing out on 25-45% of a bonus. I usually place guns to soften the enemy up then I go special weapons crazy in the kill zone. Lasers, Flamers, concussions, all at the highest upgrade I can afford.

I also found that path shaping is usually best when it is the longest. Preferably I want the path shaped such that the aliens anter the killzone twice, or four times if they actually grab a core.

I would say stick with the original game first as the Portal maps can be maddening due to a lack of control that made the first gmae so interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Gnomish Mustard wrote:
SilentHitz2 wrote:

I find the key to success in most of these maps (I havent gotten gold on all portal maps yet) is to have a really hearty killzone with a fully upgraded command tower to maximize the amount of money you have to spend.

This area will be the spot where you kill the vast majority of the aliens, slowing them down with temporal towers and having them face fully upgraded weapons. You want to be careful not to go too strong on the entrances and exits as if an alien dies there you are missing out on 25-45% of a bonus. I usually place guns to soften the enemy up then I go special weapons crazy in the kill zone. Lasers, Flamers, concussions, all at the highest upgrade I can afford.

I also found that path shaping is usually best when it is the longest. Preferably I want the path shaped such that the aliens anter the killzone twice, or four times if they actually grab a core.

I would say stick with the original game first as the Portal maps can be maddening due to a lack of control that made the first gmae so interesting.

Command Towers are my weak point, I don't use them enough. I usually spend the resources on more offensive towers, and I usually regret it later in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnomish Mustard wrote:

Could you give me a reference or example? I find it hard to imagine a situation in which an Alien would enter a killzone twice without getting a Core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
Long snaking routes are not uncommon if you build the maze well. The alien walks along one side of a bunch of juiced towers, then has to wrap around and walk along the other side of the same juiced towers before even getting to the cores.

Edit:

Pretend all those towers in the middle are red, then just follow the path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.