Alexey Babaitsev
Russia
Moscow (Postal Code 115597)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Moscow is braced for what the opposition claims will be the biggest demonstration in Russia for 20 years.

Tens of thousands are expected to gather in a square south of the Kremlin, in the latest show of anger over disputed parliamentary polls.

Smaller rallies are due to take place in cities across the country.

The protesters allege Sunday's elections - which gave Prime Minister Vladimir Putin's ruling United Russia party a small lead - were fraudulent.

Hundreds of people have been arrested during anti-Putin protests over the past week, mainly in Moscow and St Petersburg.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16122524

The event is to start at 14:00 Moscow Time (GMT+4).
There will be live broadcast at http://www.ridus.ru/ starting from 12:00 Moscow Time

You can also follow varlamov @twitter. He writes in Russian but he is a well known photographer, expect to see a lot of pictures.

Stay tuned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexey Babaitsev
Russia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting ready:

by
Stepan Chizhov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope it stays peaceful for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think theres absolutely no chance it will stay peaceful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexey Babaitsev
Russia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Organizers report 80000-85000 people gathered. An absolute record for XXI century in Moscow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
myopia wrote:
I think theres absolutely no chance it will stay peaceful.
If 80.000 people, then it'll be most peaceful for most of them. The more, the safer! Wish I was there. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexey Babaitsev
Russia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Official info from police: 25000 gathered. Independent sources say: 35000.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexey Babaitsev
Russia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexey Babaitsev
Russia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything went peaceful indeed. Next demonstration is planned for December 24th.

by Varlamov http://t.co/g4pDyACE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexey, how do you assess Spravedlivaia Rossiia's part in current politics? I had understood that it was a Kremlin-loyal project designed to siphon off votes from the Communists and create the impression of pluralism. My girlfriend claims that this is still more or less the case, but another friend of mine says that they have been showing more independence recently, and indeed I think I read in a report in a western newspaper on the protests that they were involved. What do you think?

Could you also say something about the composition of the protesters? My impression is that it is a disparate bunch including everything from the National Bolsheviks to Iabloko members and those pissed off by the Khimki Forest road project and urban planning measures. Is this correct? Is there anything they can rally around?

And to bring this to a point, do the conditions exist in Russia for a so-called colour revolution?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexey Babaitsev
Russia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all I'd like to make it clear that I was not taking a part of a demonstration. Unfortunately I was busy with my new job.

Now to your questions.

I'm pleasantly surprised regarding Spravedlivaia Rossiia. I feel that they have become even less loyal to Kremlin compared to Communists. It really is hard to say anything definite at this point because the history is being done right here and right now. I think today's event was a very good point to determine: who is independent and who is not. I have changed my mind about quite a few political movements and personas based on their comments to the ongoing situation.

I feel that most of the protesters are just ordinary people, not involved in any political parties. People are sick of constant lies and arrogant behavior of the government.

I do not think that the "colour" revolution is possible or necessary. I do not think that it is a good idea for a country with the posession of nuclear weapons to be in a state of a revolution or civil war. I'm sure that this will not happen. However some people say that all of the protests will result in chaos. I think it is just a very good way to scare people and make them think that only Putin may guarantee stability for Russia, to talk people out of protests. Right now none of the protesters speaks of revolution of any kind. Here are the formulated demands:

1. Free political prisoners
2. Denounce the elections results
3. Fire the head of Central Election Commission of Russia
4. Register broader range of opposing political parties for the elections
5. Hold the new elections

Peace!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Imploded wrote:
I do not think that the "colour" revolution is possible or necessary.

Thanks for your answers, but I think the Orange Revolution didn't really aim for anything other than the points 2 and 5 (and possibly 3; I can't remember) that you mention; when I say "revolution" I'm not thinking of Petrograd October 1917, but rather Kyiv November 2004.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.