GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,504 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Utopian Rummy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Floating? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if when you lay down a card to discard can you just lay down any card in your hand even if can be played, or if it can be played do you have to play it.

Or is it like regular rummy where if you lay it in the discard pile someone can shout rummy to take the card.

Or, lastly, If you play all your cards in your hand and you can't discard is the round over, or does it keep going until someone can discard, in regular rummy the term is "floating"?

Thanks in advance, love the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
As far as I follow the rules correctly - "floating" is forbidden. You must discard. Furhtermore if your last card is hunter, you must discard it instead of using it, and then discard acquired card. So I assume there is no possibility for the player to have 0 cards in hand at any moment of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to see others checking out this fantastic game.

Having never played any other version of Rummy before I played this, I played it without any assumptions about unwritten rules. So, here's my take on the rule questions:

You can discard any card attar end of your turn. There's no rule saying you can't.

The only ways to pick up a card from a discard pile is through the research step, or Ancestral knowledge. There's no rule about calling 'rummy' when a card is discarded to pick it up.

You must be able to discard a card at the end of a turn, no exceptions. I played this wrong for a while myself, bit was corrected by the designer. You can play down to zero cards if you're playing something that will put a card in hour hand (Hunter, Ancestral).

Have a good time with the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
Jeremiah_Lee wrote:

You must be able to discard a card at the end of a turn, no exceptions. I played this wrong for a while myself, bit was corrected by the designer. You can play down to zero cards if you're playing something that will put a card in hour hand (Hunter, Ancestral).

Have a good time with the game!

I'm afraid you are wrong Jeremiah. You wouldn't make that mistake if you've read my previous post. Here is quote from the rules:

rules wrote:

Hunter x5 (Value 1-2)

You may draw 1 card from the Draw Pile when you play a Hunter.  You may not draw more than two cards per turn due to Hunters.  If you Initiate Hunters by playing 3 Hunters, you may only draw 2 cards.  You do not have to draw a card.  If you play multiple Hunters, you may draw 1 card and then decide if you want to draw a second card.  If Hunters have already been Initiated, you may play Hunters one at a time.  You may play one Hunter, draw a card, and then decide if you wish to play a second Hunter.  If the Draw Pile is empty, you may not choose to draw a card.  It is not allowed to play a Hunter card if it is the last card in your hand.  You must reserve it for discarding even though playing it might be able to draw another card into your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rudolfoaligieri123 wrote:
I'm afraid you are wrong Jeremiah. You wouldn't make that mistake if you've read my previous post. Here is quote from the rules:
Thanks for the clarification Rudolf. I did read your post, but didn't remember that from the rules. I wonder if this applies to Ancestral Knowledge as well.

--

Rules check:
Quote:
It is not allowed to play an Ancestral Knowledge if it is the last card in your hand. You must reserve it for discarding even though playing it would place another card into your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help guys, so you always have to discard then, no floating. Got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up playing 500 rummy with my grandparents. I watched their discards like a hawk waiting for a chance to holler "RUMMY!" I admit it was quite the blast. Honestly though, I'm pretty sure they only ever made that "mistake" to watch me squeal.

When designing, I usually try and avoid as many edge cases as possible. It's funny how many still creep in. As for calling "rummy", I just honestly figured the only time someone would discard a playable card would be when they went out. If they screwed up otherwise, I think letting the other player draw it during their research phase is punishment enough.

As for "floating", I just wanted to keep it simple: no floating. As for playing a card that lets you draw cards, I just thought it simpler to disallow playing them as your last card. It really just was a choice of what's easier to explain. I find "you can't play your last card" easier than "you must have a card in hand to discard at end of turn".

Anyway, you're of course welcome to toss in your own rules and allow any of the above. I think of course you should yell "UTOPIA" when they discard something juicy though.

Glad you're enjoying it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much, me and my wife are having a blast, were something like 5 or 6 plays in after 3 days with no signs of slowing down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
TravmacDaddy wrote:
Thank you very much, me and my wife are having a blast, were something like 5 or 6 plays in after 3 days with no signs of slowing down.

We're over 100 plays, and working on catching up to Jeremiah ninja

I gave a copy to my Thrifty Santa target, and have another copy under the Christmas tree for someone else, to share the love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.