GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,470 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

The Ares Project» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Also: GameDev&Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tell me if I got this right.

If I control the frontier I am rewarded in two ways: Every time is play an attack to weaken or defeat my enemy I can keep the attack card I just played to score it. I could also not play it and just tuck it under my mat (therefor scoring points by the luck of the draw)

If I do not control the frontier I have to play attack cards to gain control of the frontier (and in the future score points though it) and these attacks cards will always go to other player to be tucked under his mat (so my attack should better succeed because every attack on the frontier scores him one point) Raid cards will not go to his mat.

So the only way for my cards out of my deck to physically go to my opponent will be through played attack cards for scoring purposes, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leder
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that if you use a Deep Strike attack, but the defender chooses to defend the Frontier, you have surprised him and get to keep the Attack card and score it.

Otherwise I think everything you said was spot on. The controller of the frontier will score your attack card unless you surprise him through a Deep Strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MantaScorp wrote:
Remember that if you use a Deep Strike attack, but the defender chooses to defend the Frontier, you have surprised him and get to keep the Attack card and score it.

Otherwise I think everything you said was spot on. The controller of the frontier will score your attack card unless you surprise him through a Deep Strike.

but then he can keep scoring with the frontier, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leder
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Littlefield
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew this at one point, but just clarifying it here:

Raid cards go to the player who controls frontier, regardless of "surprise", right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leder
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dillosaur wrote:
I knew this at one point, but just clarifying it here:

Raid cards go to the player who controls frontier, regardless of "surprise", right?

Yes, the Raid card would be scored by the Frontier-holding player.

In my eyes, there simply is NO REASON not to fight for control of the Frontier if you can help it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Littlefield
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always felt that the card should go to the raiding player if they can surprise, unless that would just be too effective of an attack. Raids are supposed to be good against armies that are spread out (in theory), but in Ares Project, being spread out when being hit by a raid is beneficial because you'll get the card regardless of your army's position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Urevich
msg tools
Don't forget that one of the rewards for winning a raid can be to take one of your targets scoring cards, so you might want to hold off on raids unless you have a good shot to win, because you might get your card back. Note that if you control the frontier you could score 2 cards, 1 yours and 1 your targets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe the Dragon wrote:
Don't forget that one of the rewards for winning a raid can be to take one of your targets scoring cards, so you might want to hold off on raids unless you have a good shot to win, because you might get your card back. Note that if you control the frontier you could score 2 cards, 1 yours and 1 your targets.

In 3 and 4 player free-for-all matches Raids are also invaluable for stripping scoring cards away from point leaders that have run away back to their base to protect their lead.

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:
Joe the Dragon wrote:

In 3 and 4 player free-for-all matches Raids are also invaluable for stripping scoring cards away from point leaders that have run away back to their base to protect their lead.

Geoff

The more I'm playing this game, the more awed I am by its mechanics. This will definitely make the top 3 of strategy games in our Awards next week....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
Maybe I'm being dumb, but who scores if someone launches on a successful attack on the frontier? Does the defender get it because they controlled the frontier was the attack was played (and thus taking the frontier creates further scoring/attack chances), or does the attacker get it for winning control (and thus taking the frontier generates points immediately)?

There was some disagreement in our first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The defender of the frontier gets the attack card for points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.