GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,889 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Sparta» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule Q: Heroes on Opponent's Cities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis P
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The rules are very explicite about Warriors and Heroes throughout. Then, regarding cities it states:

Quote:
If a warrior ends his move on an opponent`s city, he conquers this city. Flip the city tile so that the warrior‘s colour shows up and place the warrior on top of it.

Does this mean if a hero lands on an opponent's city, nothing happens?

As written this rule means it is very dangerous for a player to convert all his warriors to heroes. It also means it is dangerous to have too many heroes as his opponent might formulate a plan to remove a player's remaing warriors, leaving the less valuable heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we can safely assume that instead of "If a Warrior....", we should use "If a players figure (warrior or hero)...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis P
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply Dennis, but I am still not absolutely convinced.

Image a hero knocking on a city gate. The inhabitants would tell him to get-lost, even if it was Hercules. Can a single hero really take a city?

The rules were really specific about the difference between warrior and hero up to and beyond this point.

Did the designer have this in mind as a kind of trade-off? Heroes have more mobility and are effective in eliminating units. But if you get too many you leave yourself vulnerable to the city-winning condition for the other player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm...I always envisioned that a warrior represents a little army or division and a hero is an army with a general. Maybe one warrior from the army that conquered the city was particularly brave in battle and was then called hero, but the division was still more than one person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to recall that Heroes and Warriors are absolutely identical in every way except for the movement range.

The source of this notion is from the demonstration given to BGG at Essen of this year.

So, yeah, treat them the same in terms of capturing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Mouse
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
There is a misprint in the English rules. If you read the German rules (also supplied with the game) it states both Heroes and Warriors can convert cities.

However,........ I am starting to believe this misprint rule might be a possible solution to a long and protracted stalemate issue we have been experiencing.

I have written about it here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8136226#8136226

I would really like to here everyone's thoughts on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.