Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Szymon Brzosko
Poland
Bialystok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as in the subject.
some people say that it is like board game and rpg in one, may i ask for some opinions? thanks in advance
sz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Jonas
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My buds and I prefer it to Arkham Horror, honestly. If you like Betrayal At House on the Hill, you'll like this MUCH more, especially with the Cthulhu theme. I would recommend you check youtube for Mansions of Madness. FFG (the designers and publishers of the game) have a very nice introduction video on the site that really shows what the game is about. You'll be sold on it after you watch it, probably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
brzosko wrote:
as in the subject.
some people say that it is like board game and rpg in one, may i ask for some opinions? thanks in advance
sz

Please give us an idea what your likes and dislikes are. What sort of game are you looking for in Elder Sign Mansions of Madness, what are your expectations?

Have you tried any of the other Lovecraft games (Arkham Horror for example) or Lovecraft RPGs.

Personally, I don't think it is like a RPG, it really is just a light dice game with lots of chrome added.

Edit:
My apologies, I was clearly in Elder Sign mode when I wrote this blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Askew
United Kingdom
Pelaw, Gateshead
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
[q="brzosko"]Please give us an idea what your likes and dislikes are. What sort of game are you looking for in Elder Sign, what are your expectations?

Have you tried any of the other Lovecraft games (Arkham Horror, Mansions of Madness for example) or Lovecraft RPGs.

Personally, I don't think it is like a RPG, it really is just a light dice game with lots of chrome added.

I think he's asking about Mansions of Madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely not an RPG or anything like it. It has buckets of theme and you are controlling a character, but it is definitely a strategy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My answer would be: Don't buy it.

This game COULD have been great with the proper amount of playtesting. Unfortunately, as it is, it's an incomplete game and needs so much tweaking and house ruling that you might as well make a game of your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asger, you're right to say that the game needs tweaking and perhaps it's not the best game to just pick up and play. That said, if you are ready to work on it a bit, it becomes a very rewarding and richly themed game. also it has amazing components.

Sure - there are things about the mechanics I'm not wild about, but isn't the same generally true for every game to some extent?

We introduced a lump of houserules and the game is currently my favourite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Crompton
United Kingdom
St Helens
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say buy it. I love it and so does my gaming group. We've played 5 times simce I bought it and each game has been different than the previous experience. The figures are great (apart from the strange bowl-headed zombies), the boards superbly thematic. I would describe it ALMOST an rpg boardgame. I say almost because your character doesn't really role play but as a group there is plenty of clue hunting and problem solving. The rules are pretty easy to grasp and each player's turn is pretty quick too. We have a horror soundtrack playing in the background to give it extra theme when playing. If you love the Cthulhu mythos then get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brzosko wrote:
As in the subject. Some people say that it is like board game and rpg in one, may i ask for some opinions?

As others have said, it depends on what you are looking for
Going by your current 'collection' it'd represent a bit of a departure but having said that I (and my various groups) very much like it. It has its (well documented) issues but for such a fun game I'm happy to forgive some of the slightly annoying rules 'foibles'. It's not *really* an RPG but players *do* have stats and make 'saving rolls' but that's about it.
Most practical drawback for me is the setup time so I'd say (to the Keeper) - do your homework, get all the cards etc. sorted in advance and it gets easier on the night.

Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMillan
Scotland
Cupar
Fife
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say yes.

It's pretty unique, deeply themed, flawed in some areas - but if you are prepared to house rule a bit and let common sense prevail then it provides a rich gaming experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lublang wrote:
My answer would be: Don't buy it.

This game COULD have been great with the proper amount of playtesting. Unfortunately, as it is, it's an incomplete game and needs so much tweaking and house ruling that you might as well make a game of your own.

Even if I agreed with this (which I don't), if you WERE going to make a game of your own, it's worth it for the components alone.

I personally like the game a lot. It lends itself to a variety of play styles. My experience is that you might have to put extra time into the game, much like an RPG session, IF that's what you want to get out of it. If you want a strategy game with tons of theme, just play it out of the box.

Either way, it is one of my favorite purchases of the last two years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Other Tom
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
macgowan wrote:

Either way, it is one of my favorite purchases of the last two years.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adan Moreno
msg tools
Ok heres my point of view, I don't have a group of players and I own some titles but I personally love the HP Lovecraft Theme so I bought this game after I had some experience with Betrayals but in my opinion MoM is a great game, the theme is great the mechanics are nice the art is superior and so on, now the thing is that I have some friends that I played the game with them and they love it! they never played a hardcore board game (only board game they played was monopoly) and since MoM is an easy to learn and fast phase game I decide it to test it with this guys, they got to the point that they started to discuss tactics and also got inside the story to try and solve game.

my rating for MoM is 8.5 is a fun BG and it really set the atmosphere you should try it out I mean is only $52 dlls in Amazon so it wont hurt your buck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Szymon Brzosko
Poland
Bialystok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for all replays. I like Lovencraft's stories, I would like to play Call of Cthulhu but have no company for it (RPG game), so I've heard that this game could be not so difficult (in terms of organizing a play, having GM etc) and time consuming like typical rpg but has this kind of "taste" .. thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It tends to have either "I hate this game" or "I love this game". I fall in the latter category.

I really enjoy it, drips with theme. Yes, it is brutal, and probably not all that balanced. Still what it is trying to do, it succeeds on many levels.

Buy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lublang wrote:
needs so much tweaking and house ruling

trouvere wrote:
if you are ready to work on it a bit ... We introduced a lump of houserules

drjmcmillan wrote:
flawed in some areas - but if you are prepared to house rule a bit

So, is this the final published version we're talking about here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
we play often and always have a blast...I am not sure what tweaking others need to make in order to enjoy the game, but we play rules as written and have never experienced any "flaws"...

we do play with two "houserules" though..

1. we use a 1-minute sand timer when people are attempting puzzles...(not really a house rule as the rulebook mentions this as an idea...we aren't all that strict about the timer, but it helps that portion of the game to keep momentum...

2. I like to go over all of the possible objectives before the game....I know many scoff at this idea, but it helps to even the playing field and creates a much more strategic stance from the investigators....it still leaves mystery, becuase the investigators are not sure which objective I went with...and gets them to analyze my turns more to try and figure out what I am up to....

investigators are winning 33% of the times we play...and every game seems more intense than the last.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Other Tom
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VonVeederVeld wrote:
we play often and always have a blast...I am not sure what tweaking others need to make in order to enjoy the game, but we play rules as written and have never experienced any "flaws"...

^^^This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Bennington
Australia
Scullin
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely worth buying if you are an ex Cthulhu RPG player like my friends and I are.

It is not an RPG, but has buckets of flavour and with a good keeper you can be excused for thinking you are role playing at times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
dashgalaxy86 wrote:
My buds and I prefer it to Arkham Horror, honestly. If you like Betrayal At House on the Hill, you'll like this MUCH more, especially with the Cthulhu theme. I would recommend you check youtube for Mansions of Madness. FFG (the designers and publishers of the game) have a very nice introduction video on the site that really shows what the game is about. You'll be sold on it after you watch it, probably.

I prefer Arkham Horror to this as well. My first experience playing this game was not really a good one. It started out ok, but as combat started the game just seemed "cartoonish."

I like the storyline aspect, but once the monsters started appearing it just went downhill fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.