GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,203 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
The idea of moving and searching on two sperate turns is fine, I get that. The problem I face is during combat with a monster. from pages 15-20, I couldn't understand the concept of handing cards

The book says combat is resolved over a number of rounds untill the monster or hero is killed. each round is consists of each player drawing combat cards choosing one card from his hand and place it facedown in front of himself...okay so I did that

then I read the combat steps are

1. Draw combat cards
2, reveal combat cards
3. resolve counterattack
4. assign damage

I have to stop right there because the book says you must have five cards in your hand including the power card. So you play one card, and because of step 1, you draw more combat cards into your hand?

and then it goes into showing examples; it shows in the example the skeleton's damage stack, Lindel's damage stack and combat stack. I got the part where it says that the loser of each round places his card on the combat stack while the opponent's card that he won goes into the other player's damage stack

But when you talk about rounds. I don't know when the round ends and the next one begins by the rule of step 1,

do you always have to draw more cards, to keep five in your hands?
is each card in your hand counts as a round?

and then it shows you more examples of a stand-off, counterattack, and deathblow. The picture example has one continuation of the combat between the Skeleton and Lindel.

Accoridng to the rule book on page 15, the round ends when the monster or hero is kiled. So what it's telling me is that when you have to fight against a monster, you can tell that the game is over. since you are stuck fighting the monster with every card you draw, you will die

OMG, like obviously this game is simple but I don't get itshake because of that I was playing by skipping all the monsters that are drawn from the deck

the other part has me lost are the power cards. when the player takes that character or monster power cards, is he allow to pick one or does he choose in random? how does this work while playing solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple solution:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
that really doesn't help at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
It did in the original edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bayley
England
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Rob is being cryptically helpful. In the original edition, the combat resolution was a rock, paper, scissor, mechanic with dice. In the files section there are many alternative combat mechanics, i think he was pointing you towards those in a good ol Yorkshire way. Unfortunatly South Yorkshire and not West Yorkshire, but nobody is perfect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
Well, I'm, not playing the original edition. so can you contribute and answer my thread without posting a cryptic reply?. I can't play the game properly with the monsters untill this confusion is solved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis FitzPatrick
United States
Yuma
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it as a flowchart. I've played solo each of the characters a few times. With a thinking opponent, it becomes even more interesting

First,

Draw up to 5 cards.

Each opponent selects 1 card to reveal (Play facedown, reveal simultaneously)

First check to see which card is stronger. Victory condition--stronger card wins...

Then check to see if a card has the counterattack ability...(for instance, a ranged attack may counter-attack against a melee attack)

If it can counterattack, the player may continue playing cards of the same type (in the example above, ranged attack cards..) until he exceeds the strength of the other card. (So if it's already the stronger player...he can't play more because he's already stronger, counterattack doesn't work here...)

Let's say you played a melee 4 attack and I played a ranged 2 attack. Since I can counterattack, you must wait as I continue to play cards...I then play 2 strength 1 ranged cards (equal to your strength 4 now) and a strength 2 ranged for a total of 6 vs. your 4 strength...

If the combat ends here, the winner (in the above case, me) does a point of damage to you for each card played. So my original 2+1+1+2=4 points of damage to your character. Remember 1 pt. for each CARD played, not the strength of the card.

If in the example above I hadn't played any card, you would have won 4 vs. 2=1 point of damage because you only played 1 CARD.

Now let's say there is a tie. In the above example, let's say we played 1 previous round of combat where I tied with a ranged 2 vs. magic 2. In the case of tie, each card goes onto the combat stack...

What's that? Think of it this way: Me:----Combat Stack---You...

Ok, so Rnd 1 looks like this: Me (Rng.2)---Combat Stack---(Mag.2) You

So, we tie then: Me---Combat Stack---You
(Rng.2)
(Mag.2)

Then in Rnd 2 we have: Me (Rng.2)---Combat Stack---(Mel.4)---You
(Rng.2)
(Mag.2)

I counterattack...Me(Rng.2)+(Rng.1,1,2)---Combat Stack---(Mel.4)---You
(Rng.2)
(Mag.2)
The winner of the combat has the ability to pull matching type cards off the stack for damage

So now, since I won (Range str. 6 vs. Melee Str 4) I do 4 points of damage (remember 1 point per CARD not strength) to your character PLUS I can pull the range attack card from the stack to add 1 more damage (1 more CARD) to you for a total of 5 damage.

So the final looks like this:

Me (Rng.2)+(counterattack--1,1,2) total range=6
You (Melee 4) total=4

I win...Damage looks like: (rng 2,1,1,2=4 CARDS/4 damage points)+ (Range 2/combat stack=1 damage point)=a total of 5 damage points...

I hope this helps. Here's a brief summary...

Draw cards to 5
Each player plays 1 card facedown
Reveal simultaneously
Compare strengths--higher wins...but!
Check for counterattack, if counterattack is present and the player has a weaker or equal card to the opponent, he may continue to play cards until he's stronger than opponent
Winner of the combat checks the combat stack for matching type cards
Winner deals 1 damage for each CARD played + each CARD pulled from the combat stack.

Ties send all cards played to the combat stack between the opponents

Now, combat doesn't end until 1 combatant or the other is dead. Against even weak opponents, like the skeleton, a series of ties, or counterattacks can be LETHAL to heroes...

Dennis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
Gearhead wrote:
Draw cards to 5
Reveal simultaneously
Check for counterattack, if counterattack is present and the player has a weaker or equal card to the opponent, he may continue to play cards until he's stronger than opponent
Winner deals 1 damage for each CARD played + each CARD pulled from the combat stack.

You see this is the kind of part I had trouble reading in the rule book. I'm talking about drawing 5 cards. The rest I understand, but...okay so you have five cards in round 1, I draw a ranged attack of 2 and you get a meele attack of 4. Okay then what happens next we go to round 2?
say that I counterattack and had a combat of 1 and 2. Then I win.? .
So do the next round start or we must resolve damage and the winner places his cards in his opponents damage track?

Okay back up for a second and say that I put down another card (even if I counterattack). does that still count as round 1 or does it count in the next round.?

So does the next round start when you run out of cards in your hand?

if that's not the case then I take it as we draw cards constantly on a single round, then the round will never end untill someone dies. if its the hero chracter unfortuantly than that hero will die and would never get to fight back in round two. Thus, he would never get close to the treasure chamber.

this simple game fustrates meangry. If this thread of mine won't clear things up, I will look for variants and make up my own rules.and play solo without three other characters..Maybe I can use the same combat system like you find in Dungeon Twister

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The combat system in this game is a bit confusing. It probably took me a few reads of the combat section before I understood it. Dennis had a good explanation but as you see it takes a while to explain -- I believe this is why in the manual FFG spent a number of pages just on the example as looking the actual cards makes it easier to understand.

Page 24 in the manual explains how to do the card combat system in a solo game. The power cards are not used. They are only used if you try to escape and then both the monster and player draw a random cards to see who has the higher number.

If you don't escape and avoid the combat then the hero draws five cards from the combat deck (leaving all the power cards out). The hero choose what card to play and for the monster you just draw the top card. When comparing the cards you just follow the normal combat rules. The only other difference in solo combat is if the monster can counter attack then you show the top five cards from the combat deck and see if any can be used for a counter attack.

I am not sure what you mean about combat ending the game. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. If you are wounded badly, then you usually can win a combat but you will get hurt -- sometimes badly. Escaping from a monster is sometime the best strategy as there is no reward except for removing the monster from the board. You can use the Death Can Win variant in the rules and not have the players die if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card combat in this game has it share of haters. I for one like it and don't find it that cumbersome to play either solo or with real people.

FFG published some official combat variants to address this. Check out

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/dungeonquest/s...

The Classic Solo Combat Variant turns combat into just a few simple dice rolls but I like the Combat Dice Variant in those rules a bit better.

The Classic Combat Variant in these rules is the rock-paper-scissors approach that people are talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:
Gearhead wrote:
Draw cards to 5
Reveal simultaneously

You see this is the kind of part I had trouble reading in the rule book. I'm talking about drawing 5 cards. The rest I understand, but...okay so you have five cards in round 1, I draw a ranged attack of 2 and you get a meele attack of 4. Okay then what happens next we go to round 2?
say that I counterattack and had a combat of 1 and 2. Then I win.? .
So do the next round start or we must resolve damage and the winner places his cards in his opponents damage track?

Okay back up for a second and say that I put down another card (even if I counterattack). does that still count as round 1 or does it count in the next round.?

So does the next round start when you run out of cards in your hand?

if that's not the case then I take it as we draw cards constantly on a single round, then the round will never end untill someone dies. if its the hero chracter unfortuantly than that hero will die and would never get to fight back in round two. Thus, he would never get close to the treasure chamber.

this simple game fustrates meangry. If this thread of mine won't clear things up, I will look for variants and make up my own rules.and play solo without three other characters..Maybe I can use the same combat system like you find in Dungeon Twister

From page 16 of the manual:

Combat Steps
Each combat round is divided into four steps, which must be
performed in order every round. These steps are repeated until either
the Hero or the Monster is killed. The steps of combat are as follows:
1. Draw Combat Cards
2. Reveal Combat Cards
3. Resolve Counterattack (if able)
4. Assign Damage

That is the definition of a round.

Also from page 16:
1. Draw Combat Cards
Each round, both the Hero and monster player draw cards from the
Combat deck, without showing them to their opponent, until they
have a hand of five cards. ... During the very first combat round, the Hero and monster player randomly draw and add one of their Power cards to their hands before they fill their hands to a total of five cards.

You start with five cards.

2. Reveal Combat Cards
Each player chooses one card from his hand (Power or Combat),
placing it facedown in front of himself. After both players have
chosen a card, the players simultaneously turn the cards faceup. If
either of the cards played are Power cards, any special effects from
those Power cards are now resolved, starting with the Hero and
followed by the Monster.

You both display a card and resolve the power cards if needed.

3. Resolve Counterattack
If the attack value of a player’s Combat card is equal to or lower than
his opponent’s attack value and his card has a counterattack icon
matching his opponent’s attack type, the player may make a counterattack. ... Only one counterattack may be made in a round; a player may not counterattack against a counterattack.

This is all still the same round.

4. Assign Damage

Move the cards to the appropriate damage stack and combat stack as needed.

After resolving this step, if neither the Hero nor Monster has been
killed, players return to step 1: “Draw Combat Cards.”

That is a round. Round is now over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
I have questions

1. You wrote in step one, you draw from the combat deck till you get a total of five cards. But then you wrote "During the very first combat round, the Hero and monster player randomly draw and add one of their Power cards to their hands before they fill their hands to a total of five cards." - my first question is; how can you add the power cards to your hand if you already have up to five cards? Would I assume that one of the cards in your hand was a power card

2. When I reach the end of the following steps and neither the monster or the hero is killed. Do I add five new cards to my hand or do I just take up to the total of five cards?

3. Do you keep playing rounds till the hero or the monster dies or does it never end? like it wouldn't make sense if the hero is stuck fighting the same monster, he would die and that player would never be able to reach the treasure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You wrote in step one, you draw from the combat deck till you get a total of five cards. But then you wrote "During the very first combat round, the Hero and monster player randomly draw and add one of their Power cards to their hands before they fill their hands to a total of five cards." - my first question is; how can you add the power cards to your hand if you already have up to five cards? Would I assume that one of the cards in your hand was a power card

Underlined bit perhaps whistle ?

Quote:
2. When I reach the end of the following steps and neither the monster or the hero is killed. Do I add five new cards to my hand or do I just take up to the total of five cards?

Up to a total of five. Barring counterattack, you're generally only adding one card to both, but if you've used 2-3 cards for a counterattack, you might only have 2 cards in hand, so would draw 3.

Quote:
3.Do you keep playing rounds till the hero or the monster dies or does it never end? like it wouldn't make sense if the hero is stuck fighting the same monster, he would die and that player would never be able to reach the treasure

You keep fighting until either one is dead or the hero escapes successfully. Note that sun marker isn't moving during the fight rounds (just sounds like you're moving the sun marker for each fight round).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't shake the feeling that Boardgamefreak2geek is punking us in this thread and his other DQ threads. If he's not, then I've never met anyone who is so incapable of understanding a rule book. Is it due to a language barrier? Did he not read the rule book? Did he not read it a second time? From memory, everything he's questioned so far is clearly explained in the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
Mysterio wrote:
I can't shake the feeling that Boardgamefreak2geek is punking us in this thread and his other DQ threads. If he's not, then I've never met anyone who is so incapable of understanding a rule book. Is it due to a language barrier? Did he not read the rule book? Did he not read it a second time? From memory, everything he's questioned so far is clearly explained in the rule book.

No I certantly am not Punking anyone in this thread. I'm not from MTV, you don't see any webcams.

I read the rule book over and over and over again. and I'm still stump about how the combat system works according to rounds angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysterio wrote:
I can't shake the feeling that Boardgamefreak2geek is punking us in this thread and his other DQ threads.

I have a subscription to Boardgamefreak2geek because I like reading his posts and occasionally helping. He's got ... interesting rules problems in other games, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
Mysterio wrote:
I can't shake the feeling that Boardgamefreak2geek is punking us in this thread and his other DQ threads.

I have a subscription to Boardgamefreak2geek because I like reading his posts and occasionally helping. He's got ... interesting rules problems in other games, too.

I'd love to help him regarding DQ combat, but I don't think I can explain it any better than the rule book.

Also...

I'm still stump about how the combat system works according to rounds angry

What does this mean? He doesn't know what constitutes a round of combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too had a hard time with the combat instructions. Looking back (now that I understand the system), I can see that the wording of the instruction text is a bit hard to understand. What I did was to focus on the diagram examples - ie, play a combat over and over until it started to fall into place.

Once it fell into place, it was rather easy and fast to combat. I then went DOH! and smacked my forhead.

I wish there was an easy way to explain (in writing) how to do combat for a new player. I have never seen such a simple combat system that is/was so hard to explain!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.