7 Posts

Thunderstone: Dragonspire» Forums » General

Subject: Confused about how this relates to original Thunderstone game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Bello
United States
flag msg tools
I have the original Thunderstone game. I am confused about what Dragonspire actually is - is there ANY reason to buy it if I have the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
LIke any other expansion, it has more monsters, more Village cards, and more heroes, along with a new Thunderstone. These are all different from the ones in the base game, so they will add variety to your Thunderstone experience. You can (and should!) mix and match, playing games with cards from both sets.

Dragonspire introduces the new "setting" cards, which add variety by changing the rules of the game in certain ways. And it has little thunderstone-shapes plastic tokens to use as XP, instead of cards: doesn't change the game but they're better than the cards because you can't mistakenly add them to your deck.

Dragonspire also includes a full set of the base cards (Militia, Dagger, Iron Rations, Torch) that are the same as those in the base set. This means that a new player could just buy Dragonspire and wouldn't need the base set in order to play. You don't need those since you already have a full set in your copy of the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is basically an expansion that can alternatively be used as a base set. They also provide some nice updates with a bigger box, a board for the dungeon cards, randomizers with different backs so you don't get them mixed up with the regular cards, and tokens instead of experience cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
The basic cards are the only ones repeated. The vast majority of the content is new stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the base set and dragonspire only. It provides a wide variety of cards in all categories. Very happy with these two sets. And yes, EXP tokens are nice, anything that cuts down on card confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for clarification too. The description on the main page is a little vague.

It made it sound like a reprint, expansion, and completely different game all in one. It was clear there was more content than the original... I guess the confusion was whether or not it included the entire base game as well.

Thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Compare it to Drragonspire.

It has all teh base cards and can be played by itself.
It can be used as an expansion just like DS was.
And it upgrades the experience to make all things Thunderstone better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.