Paul Cornelissen
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if one out of the three new scenarios in this deluxe expansion is designed for solitaire play (like the first in the core game)? I can't seem to find any hints to this on the FFG site. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Gutowski
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmb
What do you mean by solitaire play? 1 player 3 heroes?

All existing scenarios apart from Dol Guldur are playable and winnable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
guciomir wrote:
What do you mean by solitaire play? 1 player 3 heroes?

All existing scenarios apart from Dol Guldur are playable and winnable.

Even Dol Guldur is winnable, perhaps just not consistently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Gutowski
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, of course it is winnable, Many players, including me, won it solo a couple of times. But it is not winnable and playable at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nels Ballard
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guciomir wrote:
Well, of course it is winnable, Many players, including me, won it solo a couple of times. But it is not winnable and playable at the same time.

I mean no offense, but I'm a bit confused by what you mean here. How can something be winnable but not playable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Gutowski
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmb
english is not my native language, this is what i meant:

winnable = you can win (sometimes you need to try 10-100 times, but in the end, luck will favor you a bit and you'll score a win)

playable = you have fun when you play

Return to Mirkwood is perfect example of good, very hard solo quest. I have victory rate solo around 33% and I must say that I enjoy both losing and winning. When I play Dol Guldur, I feel that my deck building opportunities are crippled and the victory really depends on initial luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Olli
Austria
Vienna
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guciomir wrote:
When I play Dol Guldur, I feel that my deck building opportunities are crippled and the victory really depends on initial luck.

Agreed. Actually most Scenarios are pretty hard solo and some are nearly impossible (e.g. MaO). That's why I gave up playing solo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play almost exclusively solo (1 deck, 3 heroes), and Dol Guldur is the only quest so far that is flat-out not fun solo. The encounter deck just randomly murders you way too often. One hero is out immediately, and then if you have no answer for Caught in a Web it's over. Plus the 20 other ways that deck coughs up an auto-loss.

Osgiliath, however, is hard but fun. That deck is also geared to destroy you, but you have a lot more control. Much fewer "oops, guess you lost" draws from that encounter deck.

The rest of the quests are quite doable solo, and are fun to lose as well as win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cornelissen
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solitaire = 1 player with 1 deck against the encounter deck. Solo = 1 player with multiple decks (playing the role of multiple players) against the encounter deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.