GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,483 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Abaddon» Forums » General

Subject: Toy Vault? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: borg [+] berg [+] [View All]
Garrett Herdter
United States
Strasburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Richard Borg! He has so many great games...C&C series, Liars Dice, Heave Ho, Yahtzee free for all...yet Toy Vault worries me. The Godzilla game was terrible and Richard Berg designed it! Anyone else worried?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Madsen
Sweden
Bandhagen
n/a
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm not worried.

And since Richard H. Berg and Richard Borg are two different persons, you shouldn't either. [/smug remark]

/kgm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Marquez
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I think this game could be better because there will be more artistic freedom for the designer and the company, and no impossible expectations for a perfect game because of a lisence (which happens a lot with over-hyped products). Heres hoping for an awesome slug fest!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But is this a game like Memoir but in space? I'd like to see something different or at least somewhat different...I don't know. The concept of M44 in space doesn't necessarily interest me but maybe I'll be surprised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Marquez
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
The answer is simple

Memoir Warhammer 40000

...but in all seriousness, I agree with you. I hope it plays like a streamlined variant of battletech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Blake
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
johnnyLikesGames wrote:
But is this a game like Memoir but in space?

This was one of the projects I was attached to while I was at Toy Vault. I no longer work for Toy Vault, nor do I officially represent them or their products in any way. What's more, the things I know about the game may have been changed since my dismissal.

That said: The game is different from Memoir in a few important ways.

First, what's similar. It is a scenario-based light wargame with a grid map and terrain. Your selection of controllable units in a turn is limited, and combat results are semi-random. The rules are simple enough that casual and young players could pick the game up easily, but the differences in units, variation in scenarios, and additional subtleties provide enough depth to satisfy more "hardcore" gamers.

What's different: It's not C&C. In general terms, it's almost the inverse of C&C. Unit selection is controlled by dice. Combat results are determined by cards plus a numerical dieroll. The map spaces are squares, not hexagons. Every point of damage you inflict is also a VP in your score, and bonuses are (depending on the scenario) sometimes awarded for destroying units completely.

Most importantly, however, this is a game of line-of-sight. All units can only fire along a queen's move (straight orthogonally or straight diagonally - no in-betweens). Effective strategy involves managing your unit movements for optimal line-of-sight. No, it doesn't make a lot of sense theme-wise, but it makes for a very interesting game.

While I was still attached to the project, there were general discussions regarding providing some phlebotinum explanation for the queen move limitation: The region of space the game took place in was supposed to have vastly different laws of physics. I have no way of knowing (and no desire to investigate) whether this remains the storyline explanation, or if there will even be one.

Bottom line: It's a good, unique game, and if it fails, it won't be Richard Borg's fault. Thankfully, since they've had plenty of time to change things since letting me go, it won't be my fault either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope It won't be a game with a board divided into three parts and a 60 cards deck for orders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
kgm3219 wrote:
Well, I'm not worried.

And since Richard H. Berg and Richard Borg are two different persons, you shouldn't either. [/smug remark]

/kgm

Toy Vault has done a Richard Berg game and is doing a Richard Borg game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Blake
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
MK-Ultra71 wrote:

Toy Vault has done a Richard Berg game and is doing a Richard Borg game.

And also did a Mike Kolross game, which had (in my humble and no-longer-professional opinion) a much better fun-to-time ratio than the Richard Berg game.

At the time of my departure, there were also plans to do a Rob Bartel game, a Tom Lehmann/Joe Huber game, and even a Paul Blake game - though this last was only a trivia game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Mikrut
United States
Casselberry
Florida
flag msg tools
As someone who has playtested this and other Richard Borg games & expansions with him for many years I will chime in and say this was a fun game (we playtested it a while back) but it is lighter than most of his other games.

For the record, not all game design decisions are the game designer's idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Mikrut
United States
Casselberry
Florida
flag msg tools
Game-mechanicswise, its simpler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Blake
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
sasori wrote:

For the record, Toy Vault was not planning on any changes to the game's logic at the time of my departure. I'll be a bit surprised if they made changes to the rules since then, considering e person who replaced me has nothing but the highest respect for Richard Borg and his ability to design solid, quality games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Mikrut
United States
Casselberry
Florida
flag msg tools
My comment was more to the fact that there were certain things we all commented about not liking and were told that it was at Toy Vaults insistence that those particular game design aspects were part of the game so they were not to be changed. They didn't ruin the game by any means, but we were unanimous in not likin' them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
kgm3219 wrote:
Well, I'm not worried.

/kgm

yes, they are different people. But Toy Vault IS the same publisher, and the concerns of the OP were about production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marnaudo wrote:
kgm3219 wrote:
Well, I'm not worried.

/kgm

yes, they are different people. But Toy Vault IS the same publisher, and the concerns of the OP were about production.

I don't see how you get that out of OP statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It's Richard Borg... I would buy a game about dogs chasing cats if he produced one.

As far as I am concerned, he is one of the top five game designers of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
sasori wrote:

That's slightly worrying.

But I'll get the game anyway I think Anybody knows a good place to preorder this one (preferrably with very low shipping to non-EU Europe)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
It's Richard Borg... I would buy a game about dogs chasing cats if he produced one.

Pig Pile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.