16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » Essen

Subject: Advice please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Miles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello people, I am going to Essen for the first time next year, I will be promoting Conflicting Kingdoms, just wondered what advice anyone can give to me as a trader, Is there any particular spot worth booking? Is the German language a general barrier? Any advice would be very welcome, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the FAQ. http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/120409/essen-faq-essen-what-... That will answer many questions for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
stuartmiles wrote:
Is the German language a general barrier?

Only for Germans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Williams
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
www.ormistonwhisky.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few Europeans who don't speak English but I think quite a few of the UK and US companies will employ local gamers to help out at Essen. I am sure if you post on here nearer the date, you will find some local multi-linguals willing to give up their time to demo your game and chat to customers in exchange for a free copy or 2 of your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Miles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
thats great thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mathes
Germany
Essen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PowerTrader wrote:
There are a few Europeans who don't speak English but I think quite a few of the UK and US companies will employ local gamers to help out at Essen. I am sure if you post on here nearer the date, you will find some local multi-linguals willing to give up their time to demo your game and chat to customers in exchange for a free copy or 2 of your game.

Exibitor tickets make much more tasty baits for volunters than free games . . . . even when the price for the game is twice the price of an exhibitor ticket

Ciao

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Miles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do I have 2 volunteers here ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
stuartmiles wrote:
Do I have 2 volunteers here ???

number 3 reporting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Miles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to buy ticket and a free game pack.

Just email me stuart@deckvoid.com

I guess I'll need about 10 volunteers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Just an FYI - there is a limit to the number of exhibitor badges that you can purchase based on the size of your booth. You may want to check on the limits before committing to 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Miles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I can purchase additional tickets tho right?
I would imagine we would have a reasonable sized stand so I dont mind buying a few extra if need be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
You can purchase extra exhibitor passes, but that is again based on the size of your booth. I don't honestly know what the breakdowns are, but last year's BGG booth was pretty small and we were limited to four plus the option to buy two or three more (as I recall)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stuartmiles wrote:
I can purchase additional tickets tho right?
I would imagine we would have a reasonable sized stand so I dont mind buying a few extra if need be.

Ambitious! I remember that most booths had the same "minimum" dimensions that just about fits two tables. BGG both in comparison was around 4 times as big.

As for the language, many visitors will understand English. When I sat down on a table with strangers I just assumed English. At one time we only realized halfway through the explanations that we all spoke German natively. What I'm trying to say is that you should probably be fine with a mixed crew where only some of them can speak German.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Never underestimate the ability of the locals to speak quite outstanding English. Of all the countries I have ever visited I have found Germans to have not just the highest level of English ability but also the greatest willingness to use it. I'm going to make a calculated guess and say that almost every German who goes through Essen will be able to hold a low-level English conversation, at worst.

If anything, it is going to be a barrier to my ever learning any German seeing as I'm going to be living here for 2 years and don't need it within my work environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Miles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
elgin_j wrote:
Never underestimate the ability of the locals to speak quite outstanding English.

I doubt it, I'm sure they speak better English than me gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Miles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
THAT SHOULD OF READ " I DONT doubt it" Just confirmed my own post whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.